Bronze Age

History and Historical European Martial Arts in the Codex Martialis

Bronze Age

Postby Galloglaich » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:37 pm

Looks like some real Conan s**t went down in Northern Germany about 3000 years ago.

What makes it interesting is that

1) There isn't apparently much direct evidence of large scale battles in the Bronze Age, anywhere, even Mesopotamia or Egypt - leading some historians to come to the ridiculous conclusion that the Bronze Age was peaceful, since some seem to like to make a fetish of dismissing literary sources.

2) Based on what they have excavated so far, these bodies have a lot more high quality (i.e. well made and fairly uniform bronze) kit than had been expected in that part of the world at that time. There is (in my opinion) kind of a bias against Europeans that they were all primitive savages back then, which is of course also ridiculous.

3) Participants seem to have come from all over Europe, some maybe as far away as Italy. Either that or they have estimated the diet in Northern Europe incorrectly.

This implies a much higher degree of social organization North of the Alps than we (Academia) had previously believed. And speaking of academia, I don't agree with many of the conclusions drawn in this article but it is a good introduction to the find. The wiki is useful too as a shorter summary, and will probably get more information added to it over time.

If anyone from Denmark or linked to the academic community knows more about this, like has links to images of more of the artifacts or any forensic analysis of the bodies (like, how tall are they, how were their teeth, how many women, and so on) please post here.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/03/slaughter-bridge-uncovering-colossal-bronze-age-battle

Bronze Age Woman's burial

Artists reconstruction

Bronze Aged mans burial

Bronze Aged Woman burial with strange hairdo

http://en.natmus.dk/historical-knowledg ... krydstrup/
Galloglaich

Re: Bronze Age

Postby Arkon » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:50 am

Whoa, awesome. Especially stuff like bronze armour and flint arrows coexisting. It would be awesome to have more data on all that kit. And if some artist would re-create the looks of a battle like this.
Arkon

Re: Bronze Age

Postby Galloglaich » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:31 pm

I know, it's clearly a fascinating and complex world we know next to nothing about. Ripe for genre fiction , shows. RPG anything. But we need more data.
Galloglaich

Return to RPGs, History and Martial Arts