Torsion Spring Wepaons

History and Historical European Martial Arts in the Codex Martialis

Torsion Spring Wepaons

Postby Galloglaich » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:34 pm

Well, maybe we are stuck on crossbows for the moment, but somebody seems to have moved the ball quite far on torsion spring weapons recently.

This is a pretty big deal potentially.

For non German speakers, you can copy and paste this into google translate

Quick summary, they did a test of 'scorpion' torsion spring crossbows (ok, not quite crossbows, shooting weapons?) which were allegedly used at the Battle of Teutoburg forest. First they did a computer simulation and then, apparently, they made replicas with the help of a bunch of engineers (which you can see in the image above).

The article says they had a range of 'several hundred meters', the energy was so high that they burnt the pig carcasses they were shooting? Wow. And a rate of shots at about 3-5 bolts per minute. According to records 60 of these were issued to each legion. From the image I posted above, (from the article) it does look like the targets are pretty far away.

I want to see video! As far as I know nobody had yet made a really effective torsion weapon of this type that really lived up to what it was supposed to be able to do - it sounds like they finally did in this case.

In "Gallic Wars" Caesar mentions these weapons as being extremely important, they saved him in Britain for example.

http://www.spiegel.de/wissenschaft/technik/torsionsgeschuetze-roemische-horrorwaffen-im-wettertest-ausgegraben-a-941289.html

G
Galloglaich

Return to RPGs, History and Martial Arts