Historical Medieval Magic Notes

Re: Historical Medieval Magic Notes

Postby Arkon » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:44 pm

Galloglaich wrote:In other words, it's one thing to be realistic but on the other hand I have no intention of being some kind of Anton LaVey or Aleister Crowley of the RPG world! :shock: hahahhhaha

G

I think it would require a lot more effort than just writing about that stuff. Maybe they could be something that is used by enemies?
Arkon

Postby Galloglaich » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:36 pm

Galloglaich

Postby Galloglaich » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:38 pm

Arkon wrote:I think it would require a lot more effort than just writing about that stuff. Maybe they could be something that is used by enemies?

Well ok so for example, some of the spells in Medieval Grimoires call for sacrifices of animals, sometimes in greusome ways (biting the heart of a living dove for example, or throwing a cat into a fire) I'm wondering if I should include such details or not? Like as the material component of a spell?

I know there are many far worse influences online but I wouldn't want to contribute to some wierd Goth kid* hurting an animal while trying to emualte an ancient spell.

I think I will just keep it a bit more abstract than that.

G.

*not that I've got anything against wierd Goth kids I've been friends with a few
Galloglaich

Postby Daeruin » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:44 pm

Yeah, keep it abstract. Like in Pathfinder (not sure about 3.5), the spellcaster just has to have a generic components pouch. The components themselves are rarely important. It's more about the cost.
My blog: fantasy fiction, gaming, and music
Daeruin

Postby Galloglaich » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:32 pm

But I like exotic components, I think they bring a lot of flavor to the magic system. Some spells will only be possible when you luck out and find certain rare things for example. I've also tweaked my system so that superior (rarer and more valuable)

I don't want it to feel like a supermarket, part of the world of these spellcasters was about finding rare things, preparing rare things, waiting for unusual times of day or days of the year or celestial events and so on, in order to cast spells.

I'm just not going to include anything that involves anything really nasty like hurting animals.

By abstract I mean, I'm not going to get into any of the details of the spells like names used or show the diagrams or list all the steps or anything like that. Just enough around the edges to provide a little context / mood.

G.
Galloglaich

Postby Galloglaich » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:20 pm

15th Century Grimoire (Italian?): Liber de angelis, annulis, karecteribus et ymaginibus planetarum
includes voodoo type rituals
Galloglaich

Postby Galloglaich » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:51 pm

Ok I'm going to be releasing something on this in 'Beta' mode pretty soon. Question is: cover art?

Any recommendations? Preferably from the public domain?

G.
Galloglaich

Postby drkguy3107 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:08 pm

Just wanted to chime in with my 2 cents. Personally I find the graphic details; such as making pants out of dead man, to be a must. Saying that a spell costs 5gp worth of stuff: A) makes it boring, B) makes it seem like there is a floating shop following the player around where they can always just get ride of some cash in order to cast a spell, and C) makes the spells less memorable.

For example, in my game I have a Curse called 'curse of the ugly' in which the caster beats a cat to death, then sprinkles hemlock and nightshades into its eyes, cuts of its head, then buries it on the targets property. My players don't always remember what the spell does, or what its called, but they all remember how to cast it. (Also it led to scene where the players had to catch a cat, which was well worth the diversion.)

As far as leaving out grapich things so that kids won't do it, personally I don't think thats much of an issue. I mean there was that kid in (I think Florida) who killed his girlfriends family and thought he was a vampire because he played Masquerade. So in the end there's nothing you can do to prevent that kind of broken mind.

As far as cover art, perhaps the stave for necropants?
http://www.myarmoury.com ~ The most enlightening community on the web.
drkguy3107

Postby Arkon » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:32 pm

Galloglaich wrote:
Arkon wrote:I think it would require a lot more effort than just writing about that stuff. Maybe they could be something that is used by enemies?

Well ok so for example, some of the spells in Medieval Grimoires call for sacrifices of animals, sometimes in greusome ways (biting the heart of a living dove for example, or throwing a cat into a fire) I'm wondering if I should include such details or not? Like as the material component of a spell?

I think that it would be good to include the gruesome details. It would show kids that there were worse things out there than the Roman Catholic Church. Actually, you could add a rant about how some groups nowadays romanticize witches and stuff like that :D .
Arkon

Postby Galloglaich » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:45 pm

well, not all the witches were / are bad ... ;)

You guys have talked me into it though, I'll keep a few more of the details in.

G.
Galloglaich

PreviousNext

Return to Magic, Alchemy, Mnemonics, and Mysticism