Mounted Combat questions

Everything to do with the Codex Rules, a FAQ, New Rules, Explanations of concepts etc.

Re: Mounted Combat questions

Postby drkguy3107 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:04 am

The new rules look good, it still says warhorse under the charger template, I assume thats a typo. Also, you didn't include the ambling trait.

Personally i don't see why a destrier would be so slow, I thought they were supposed to be very fast, even if not over long distances. To me the main reason everyone didn't have one has to do with cost more than anything else (cost of horse, and feed).
http://www.myarmoury.com ~ The most enlightening community on the web.
drkguy3107

Postby Galloglaich » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:32 pm

well, in historical accounts heavy cavalry can never seem to catch light cavalry, so I made the Destrier the default heavy warhorse speed, the other breeds were supposed to be the fast ones. But that really could be due to just the armor on the rider and horse obviously, or more of a matter of endurance than speed, I'm really not sure.

As it is though I think the Destrier is very valuable in the current ruleset.

I'll fix the typos on the next update.

G.
Galloglaich

Postby drkguy3107 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:13 pm

Also, I made it so that the lances multiple damage ability, and the ability of a horse to add damage to your blow only happen at X3, since for me that is the speed of a charge. Thats in my own rules though.
drkguy3107

Postby Galloglaich » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:15 pm

Seems reasonable ... but do you base that on number of times moved in the current round or in the previous round or what? Either one?

G.
Galloglaich

Postby drkguy3107 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:26 pm

Its just the speed the horse is going. So if you make your horse go to x3, from standing still, that would cost you 3 dice, 1 to walk, 1 to x2, and 1 to x3. Next round if you want to maintain your speed then you have to use 2 dice. Since you are still going x3 you still get the charge bonus. If last round you were going x3 but this round decide not to bother then you are instantly considered to be going x1 (the horses normal movement represents deceleration) and no charge bonus. You see a horse can maintain x1 without using any dice.

Now if you have an ambling horse, then your horse can maintain x2 without you having to maintain, thus if you stop maintaining then you can have your horse slow down to x2 instead of x1.

Also, if you have a charger then you can go from x1 to x2 for free, and then spend only 1 dice to increase to x3, thus if you were already walking, it only costs your movement die to increase to a charge.
drkguy3107

Postby drkguy3107 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:29 pm

To clarify its not the distance moved that matters, but the speed. I don't care if you were moving x5 last round, if this round you decided not to maintain then you are instantly considered to be going x1. Its not perfectly accurate, but it is accurate enough and makes combat easier. Think of a runner, once you stop actively running you quickly decelerate. Though you don't instantly stop, you quickly slow down, and the deceleration distance is taken care of in the normal speed that your horse resumes.
drkguy3107

Postby Galloglaich » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:52 pm

But so how do you keep track of the speed, do you use a little marker or something?

By the way I like some of these movement rules for different horses were those in the cavalry rules you sent me?

G.
Galloglaich

Postby drkguy3107 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:28 pm

No, but they were made at the same time, and the movement rules for different horses are assumed when I was making the combat rules.

How do you keep track?
a.)How fast were you moving last turn
b.)Did you maintain this turn
c.)Did you change speed this turn.

Usually we will use dice to represent where we are on the battlefield (I don't use grids and tokens, since they lock me in) so we will frequently set your die to whatever we need to remember. Say you are represented by a red d6 and you r moving at x3,we will set the die to 3. If you don't maintain, you automatically drop to 1, so we change the die to 1, etc. So I guess we could do that if we couldn't remember, but ideally we'd just remember.

Note: due to summer break, I haven't yet tryed out these new rules. If it would be hard to remember then I would just jote it down in my combat notes, next to init, and remaining hp.
drkguy3107

Postby Galloglaich » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:35 pm

Yeah that is ok for house-rules but it's going to be an issue for a lot of people, I don't think I can include it in the core rules unless I can figure out an easier way to keep track.

G.
Galloglaich

Postby drkguy3107 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:31 pm

I don't see what other option you have, unless you are going to say that every round you horse's movement is assumed to be 0 and you must spend the dice again? In which case charging x3, would require you to spend 3 dice (1 movement, so 2) every round. To be honest I'm ok with that if thats what your suggesting, so I want it to be harder to hit a target from the back of a moving horse and this effectively does that.
drkguy3107

PreviousNext

Return to Codex Martialis Rules