Sidestep question

Everything to do with the Codex Rules, a FAQ, New Rules, Explanations of concepts etc.

Sidestep question

Postby Daeruin » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:28 am

I'm afraid I don't get the Sidestep feat. In SRD, it allows you to take a 5' step whenever an opponent misses you. In effect, you're stepping aside from the blow as it misses you. In Codex, it says you can take a 5' step instead of making an attack of opportunity. That's almost the opposite of the SRD feat. Rather than moving when your opponent misses, you move by choosing not to make your own attack. That just doesn't seem like an actual sidestep to me, because you're not dodging anything. Am I missing something?
My blog: fantasy fiction, gaming, and music
Daeruin

Re: Sidestep question

Postby drkguy3107 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:35 am

You are dodging their initial attack, since they spend a die to close (so that they may attack), and then you use your die to sidestep, thus requiring them to get close again by using another die. etc, etc.

Also it gives you a bonus die to avoid a grapple.
http://www.myarmoury.com ~ The most enlightening community on the web.
drkguy3107

Postby Galloglaich » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:32 am

Yeah, what he said. I didn't know there was a sidestep in the SRD.

G
Galloglaich

Postby Daeruin » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:10 pm

I was referring to the Pathfinder SRD, sorry. I don't know if Sidestep is in the OGL SRD.

So are you guys referring to when someone tries to enter grapple range? I didn't think of that when reading the feat, and it doesn't mention that. I was thinking about, for example, when your opponent moves out of a threatened square and provokes an AoO from you. There is no attack, and therefore nothing to sidestep.

Edit: I just noticed that the one-liner description below the feat name says you use it when your opponent attacks. That explains it. It could probably be clearer, though.
My blog: fantasy fiction, gaming, and music
Daeruin

Postby Galloglaich » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:07 pm

Yeah and you get an attack of opportunity when someone tries to close for grapple, so in that case you (once again) could use sidestep instead and just avoid the exchange.

I'll make a note to clarify that a bit further in the next (long overdue) Codex update.

G
Galloglaich

Postby Gavinfoxx » Fri May 24, 2013 8:34 pm

It's in the OGL srd as well, sort of.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psion ... stepCharge

There is a further one in Miniature's Handbook that isn't OGL.
Gavinfoxx

Return to Codex Martialis Rules