Two Weapon Fighting

Everything to do with the Codex Rules, a FAQ, New Rules, Explanations of concepts etc.

Two Weapon Fighting

Postby Daeruin » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:41 pm

I assume fighting with two weapons is intended to work the same in Codex Martialis, since I can't find any specific mention of it other than the few Martial Feats like Main Gauche.

I did notice that Main Gauche is intended to replace the Two-Weapon Fighting feat, but I'm not sure I like that idea. The Two-Weapon Fighting feat is intended to reduce the hefty penalties involved with fighting with two weapons (in Pathfinder, at least). Main Gauche, on the other hand, lets you use your off-hand weapon's defense bonus. They really aren't similar at all. Plus, without the Two-Weapon Fighting feat, the penalties would be too heavy to make fighting with two weapons worthwhile.
My blog: fantasy fiction, gaming, and music
Daeruin

Re: Two Weapon Fighting

Postby Daeruin » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:12 pm

Any comment on this?
Daeruin

Postby Daeruin » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:29 pm

As an example of why this matters, the Codex version of Improved Two Weapon fighting allows a free die for a single extra attack with one of your two weapons. But is this assuming that you're taking the full penalties for fighting with two weapons (i.e., -6 for primary hand and -10 for off hand)? Or are you assuming that you can attack with either weapon at any time by spending MP dice, and Improved Two Weapon fighting simply gives you one extra attack? Similar questions apply to the Shield Smash MF. Is the shield attack made with the normal two-weapon fighting penalties, or not?
Daeruin

Postby Galloglaich » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:02 am

My understanding is that in the SRD, the main reason they impose such a penalty against multi-weapon fighting is that using a second weapon gives you an extra attack. This is why the munchkins and powergamers always sought this tactic out (that and a certain book about a dark elf dude)

But in the Codex, while you can use a second weapon, it does not necessarily confer any extra attacks or any other advantages, unless you have certain martial feats.

So if you have say, a sword in your right hand and an axe in your left, you still have your same pool of 4 (or less). It's up to you if you want to alternate attacks between weapons or do all with one or whatever.

I guess I decided that if you have the second tier feat Improved Two Weapon fighting then you do get one extra attack. Otherwise you have to have one of the martial feats like Main Gauche or Niten Ichi to get any benefit out of the second weapon.

But conversely the standard SRD penalties do not apply.

G
Galloglaich

Postby Daeruin » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:33 am

Thanks for the clarification! That's what I thought might be the case, but I wanted to make sure. Sounds good to me.
Daeruin

Postby Galloglaich » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:51 pm

I should probably put this explanation in the book, along with a whole lot of other similar ones. The challenge would be to find them all so I can put them in the right places.

G
Galloglaich

Postby Gavinfoxx » Fri May 24, 2013 8:21 pm

Galloglaich wrote:My understanding is that in the SRD, the main reason they impose such a penalty against multi-weapon fighting is that using a second weapon gives you an extra attack. This is why the munchkins and powergamers always sought this tactic out (that and a certain book about a dark elf dude)

I strenuously object to this! Only inept munchkins, and wannabe powergamers who don't know the math of the game like two weapon fighting in 3.5e.

Competent powergamers made every effort to use one of these weapons in 3.5e:
Greatsword, Falchion, Spiked Chain, Guisarme, Duom, Exercutioner's Mace, Heavy Spiked Shield, or if they were limited to simple weapons only: Morningstar, Heavy Sickle, Longspear, Fauchard.
Gavinfoxx

Postby Galloglaich » Sat May 25, 2013 2:54 am

lol
Galloglaich

Postby drkguy3107 » Wed May 29, 2013 5:34 am

Greatsword, Falchion, Spiked Chain, Guisarme, Duom, Exercutioner's Mace, Heavy Spiked Shield, or if they were limited to simple weapons only: Morningstar, Heavy Sickle, Longspear, Fauchard.

I love the concept of a executioner's mace, go all fucking Gallagher on a deposed king. :lol: :twisted:

Also the duom, heavy spiked shield, and heavy sickle are hilarious concepts as well. Especially the heavy sickle, for when you are fighting a particularly evil piece of grain. :mrgreen:
http://www.myarmoury.com ~ The most enlightening community on the web.
drkguy3107

Return to Codex Martialis Rules