Unarmed Strikes and AoO

Everything to do with the Codex Rules, a FAQ, New Rules, Explanations of concepts etc.

Unarmed Strikes and AoO

Postby Daeruin » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:34 am

I'm getting confused about unarmed strikes and AoOs. In Pathfinder (I'm not sure about standard 3.5 SRD), unarmed fighters do not threaten any squares and always provoke an AoO when making an unarmed strike. If they get Improved Unarmed Strike, they are then considered armed and therefore threaten squares so they can make AoOs and no longer provoke AoOs when making unarmed strikes.

In Codex Martialis, I was assuming that you could make unarmed strikes from any range—onset, melee, or grapple—but some of the feats imply that might not be the case (Danse de la Rue, the modified version of Improved Unarmed Strike). I'm also unclear on whether unarmed strikes are supposed to provoke AoOs or not. The modified version of Improved Unarmed Strike doesn't specifically state that you are considered armed, which makes me wonder.
My blog: fantasy fiction, gaming, and music
Daeruin

Re: Unarmed Strikes and AoO

Postby Galloglaich » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:47 pm

The way I've always handled it, is an unarmed strike wth the hand can only occur at Melee range, but would provoke an AoO for someone closing to grapple. Maybe allowing an AoO for people moving by you might be something to add to the feat. I should probably also spell this out more clearly in the rules.

Kicking extends your range, as described in Danse De La Rue.

G
Galloglaich

Postby Daeruin » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:21 pm

Hmm... I just looked up Improved Unarmed Strike again. It states that unarmed strikes are normally made a grapple range.

Improved Unarmed Strike
Benefit: Gain the ability to cause 1d4 damage striking with hands and feet, and the ability to make unarmed strikes at melee range instead of grapple range (thus without triggering AoO).
Normal: Unarmed strikes must be made at grapple range (and therefore draws an AoO) and only deal 1d2 damage.

Say you make an unarmed strike and get into grapple range. Further strikes would continue to be at grapple range. Would they continue to provoke AoOs?
My blog: fantasy fiction, gaming, and music
Daeruin

Postby Galloglaich » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:01 pm

Daeruin wrote:Hmm... I just looked up Improved Unarmed Strike again. It states that unarmed strikes are normally made a grapple range.

Improved Unarmed Strike
Benefit: Gain the ability to cause 1d4 damage striking with hands and feet, and the ability to make unarmed strikes at melee range instead of grapple range (thus without triggering AoO).
Normal: Unarmed strikes must be made at grapple range (and therefore draws an AoO) and only deal 1d2 damage.

Say you make an unarmed strike and get into grapple range. Further strikes would continue to be at grapple range. Would they continue to provoke AoOs?

No I think you only get an AoO when you first get into grapple range, for any reason.

G
Galloglaich

Postby Gavinfoxx » Fri May 24, 2013 8:37 pm

I'd be curious about Unarmed Strikes using SRD feats..

Improved Natural Attack (Unarmed Strike) and Improved Unarmed Strike. Would those feats have ANY effects in Codex Martialis?
Gavinfoxx

Return to Codex Martialis Rules