Adding more feats to chart of ogl feats? Many are missing!

Everything to do with the Codex Rules, a FAQ, New Rules, Explanations of concepts etc.

Adding more feats to chart of ogl feats? Many are missing!

Postby Gavinfoxx » Thu May 23, 2013 4:55 am

Hi there, I was looking at the chart on page 71 of the most recent version of the Codex, regarding using OGL feats in Codex Martialis, and it struck me that this is a very incomplete list of OGL feats...

Per http://www.d20srd.org/

Which is more 'all the OGL stuff' rather than 'Just the SRD', there are a LOT more relevant ogl feats which might be relevant for this, and which might be added to a bigger version of that chart such as the ones found here:

http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/monsterFeats.htm
http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/psionicFeats.htm
http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm

Some particular ones of interest might be:

Improved Natural Attack
Deadly Precision
Reckless Offense
Sidestep Charge
Stand Still
Fleet of Foot
Hold the Line
Knock Down
Sharp-Shooting
Superior Expertise

And I would be very interested in seeing what would or would not be allowed unchanged, or appropriate ways to change the feats...
Gavinfoxx

Re: Adding more feats to chart of ogl feats? Many are missin

Postby Galloglaich » Fri May 24, 2013 4:08 pm

Just based on the names, one or two of those I could almost swear were lifted from the Codex! (sidestep and reckless attack)

How long have these been in the rules?

But I wasn't aware of these feats, I thought some of these were in Pathfinder I didn't realize they were in the OGL. The key question is, are these covered by the OGL contract I'm using? I have to be careful about that lest I get in trouble with WOTC.

I'll have to check these out thanks for bringing them to my attention.

G
Galloglaich

Postby Gavinfoxx » Fri May 24, 2013 4:37 pm

I dunno, but I'd like to see how a Codex Martialis character would make a Horizon Tripper, especially the 'full srd' version...

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80415

IE (using 3.5e rules to make a useful tripper):
Guisarme+Combat Expertise+Improved Trip+Combat Reflexes+Knockdown+Hold the line+Stand Still

Also, here are the differences on the d20srd site from the normal srd:

http://www.d20srd.org/changes.htm

And I believe this:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/srd35

has sections called

"Epic feats"
"Monster Feats"
"Psionic Feats"
"Divine Abilities and Feats"

Just saying!
Gavinfoxx

Postby Galloglaich » Sat May 25, 2013 2:57 am

I think some of this stuff is not from the basic OGL rules though, I know the SRD that I normally use, the Sovelior SRD, has a bunch of stuff from unearthed arcana and other books that I don't think I'm allowed to refer to in my rules.

But I'll look at these feats anyway and give you an 'unofficial' assessment at the very least.

You may have to bear with me a bit though because I'm going to be crazy busy with the day job over the next few weeks. I'll try to pop in and look at that stuff when I can.

G
Galloglaich

Postby Gavinfoxx » Sat May 25, 2013 4:01 am

Well, the thing with Unearthed Arcana is that some of it is open content, and some of it isn't. Just like some of the stuff in Epic Level Handbook is open and some isn't, and some stuff in Deities and Demigods is open and some isn't, and the same with Expanded Psionics Handbook. And a LOT of this stuff is specifically part of the SRD!

Now, I'm not sure what you are legally allowed to use, but Pathfinder, for example, has a Psionics section written by Dreamscarred Press, with I believe much of the content based off of the Psionics part of the SRD -- which contain many of those feats I was linking to...

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed

Also, "Improved Natural Attack: Unarmed Strike" -- that's the only legal INA that I could think of for humans in your setting. So when figuring out INA, at least look at that version of it...

I also replied in some other parts of these forums, like in a post about the Tumble skill; consider looking around for some of my other posts, perhaps?
Gavinfoxx

Postby Galloglaich » Sun May 26, 2013 3:17 pm

Thanks Gavin, I'll try to address all of those, I really appreciate you bringing these to my attention. And like I said, I'll make an 'unofficial' analysis of these feats here on the website at least, some of them sound interesting. If I can work out which ones are legal to use and which ones aren't, I may include them in the book.

But.... not today. I have to fly out of town for work later today and I'm going to be there for a week. I might have some time in the evenings and I'll be bored cooped up in the hotel room so who knows what I'll come up with ;) Depends how exhausted I am.

I thought I had commented on the tumble thread but maybe I just imagined a comment in my head... my brain is not what it used to be :oops:

G
Galloglaich

Postby Gavinfoxx » Sun May 26, 2013 7:36 pm

Galloglaich wrote:I thought I had commented on the tumble thread but maybe I just imagined a comment in my head... my brain is not what it used to be :oops:

No reply to my recent post in the (very old) Tumble thread, no.
Gavinfoxx

Postby Gavinfoxx » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:22 am

Can you address these now?
Gavinfoxx

Postby Galloglaich » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:24 am

Ask and you shall receive... eventually. I've been out of town for quite a while working so I apologize, thought I could do some codex stuff on the road but it didn't work out that way. Anyway I'm back now.

Well basically, after looking into it, most of these seem like they are not in the OGL part of the SRD so I can't put them into the Codex (or I don't want to risk it)

Unofficially, some of these really do sound like early Codex feats. I'll make comments individually:

Improved Natural Attack
This is listed as a "monster feat", increasing damage by 1 step for the specific type of attack. Seems legit to me, I already granted that ability to the Eagle I think and maybe another animal.

Deadly Precision
Not sure the origin of this one. I don't like re-rolls as a rule, but I see no reason not to substitute a free dice for your damage roll on a sneak attack (and keep the highest number) ... though to me I think it would be better just to grant a free dice for the attack roll.

Reckless Offense
Not sure the origin of this one. -4 to AC for a +2 to Hit... this is very close to the Codex MF "Frenzied Attack", or somewhere between that and just using all your dice to attack with and keeping none in reserve for defense.

Sidestep Charge
This is virtually identical to the "Sidestep" Codex MF.
Last edited by Galloglaich on Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
Galloglaich

Postby Galloglaich » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:25 am

Reckless Offense
Not sure the origin of this one. -4 to AC for a +2 to Hit... this is very close to the Codex MF "Frenzied Attack", or somewhere between that and just using all your dice to attack with and keeping none in reserve for defense.

Sidestep Charge
This is virtually identical to the "Sidestep" Codex MF.

Stand Still
It says this is a Psionic Feat? Did I read that right? Anyway, it sounds interesting, I like it - it sounds like you use your attack to take away your opponents movement. Maybe just take away one of their Martial Pool dice with an attack. There is actually something similar to this in the fechtbucher, where you jostle the other guy with a body check. Have to look it up... that could make a good unarmed feat.

Fleet of Foot
"Without this feat, you can only run or charge in a strait line" .... ah. I don't know. That sounds like a rule made up by somebody who never played any sports!

Hold the Line
This one is ok but I think The Codex MF 'point control' is kind of a better version of this.

Knock Down
This makes sense but it seems like it should be a general rule rather than a feat...?

Sharp-Shooting
Negate the effects of cover? I like this one. Always good to have more archery feats. What is the origin of it? Could make it negate up to 1 Free Dice granted for cover.

Superior Expertise
In the Codex Rules Expertise simply gives you a free dice for defense, this enhanced version could simply give you 2 free dice (though that would be very powerful and possibly unique among Feats and MF in the Codex

Hope that helps some, or starts an interesting conversation ;)

G
Galloglaich

Next

Return to Codex Martialis Rules