Mount and Blade

Re: Mount and Blade

Postby Galloglaich » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:07 am

Crap... scratch that it's behind some kind of paywall. !@#$%%^
Galloglaich

Postby Arkon » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:04 am

Galloglaich wrote:Crap... scratch that it's behind some kind of paywall. !@#$%%^

Ouch. For some reason they didn't put this one on moddb.

1257 is there, though:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/1257-ad-middle-europe

What do you think about doubling the metal armour resistance?
Arkon

Postby Galloglaich » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:05 am

The Mod is crashing on me, but I'm downloading a warband patch which according to some posts I read, may fix the problem.

Meanwhile their Viking mod or game looks pretty awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJx6yQ5wmwY

G
Galloglaich

Postby Arkon » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:51 am

What do you think about doubling metal armour protection, though?

I'm thinking about making a mod for Native that would make armour more protective. I think light weapons defeat armour way too easily in vanilla.

Galloglaich wrote:I think there is a setting for the AI though I haven't tried it yet, i think the default is 'average'

I don't know what exactly the setting does, but it doesn't make the AI any less suicidal.
Arkon

Postby Galloglaich » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:28 pm

Well, it's a little tricky because their system is a bit abstracted, I know it noticed head-shots, and your armor is divided between upper body (which includes hands), head, and legs, but I'm not sure if it's so sophisticated that it can detect hits to unarmored or less armored parts of the body or not.

Also a lot of the metal armor you can get in the basic games (both Mount and Blade and Warband) are at around that mid 13th Century level and consist mostly of mail and lamellar and so on. Real plate armor is rare and the most sought after. Mail etc. should be almost invulnerable against cuts but maybe not perfect protection against high velocity arrows / crossbow bolts or lance strikes, and also attacks from things like war-picks and blunt weapons like hammers and maces. I think the armor works as damage reduction anyway so some of these weapons will overcome the armor regardless. The system does also distinguish types of attacks (pierce, cut, bludgeon) so maybe you can tweak pierce and bludgeon attacks to be a little stronger against armor.

There is another user controllable setting which will increase the damage done to you and your allies, I think the default is only 25%. So probably if you increase the effectiveness of the armor

Couched lance strikes work with spears too by the way, I've learned to my delight. It really makes cavalry super effective against infantry though you still have to watch out for powerful crossbows and bows.

The mod you linked by the way worked, but it is apparently only a Mount and Blade mod not a Warbands mod. To get the latter I'll probably have to sign up on that mods site.

G
Galloglaich

Postby Arkon » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:14 am

Galloglaich wrote:Well, it's a little tricky because their system is a bit abstracted, I know it noticed head-shots, and your armor is divided between upper body (which includes hands), head, and legs, but I'm not sure if it's so sophisticated that it can detect hits to unarmored or less armored parts of the body or not.

It detects hits on hands, head, torso and legs. From what I saw hitting less armoured part does greater damage.

Galloglaich wrote:Also a lot of the metal armor you can get in the basic games (both Mount and Blade and Warband) are at around that mid 13th Century level and consist mostly of mail and lamellar and so on. Real plate armor is rare and the most sought after. Mail etc. should be almost invulnerable against cuts but maybe not perfect protection against high velocity arrows / crossbow bolts or lance strikes, and also attacks from things like war-picks and blunt weapons like hammers and maces. I think the armor works as damage reduction anyway so some of these weapons will overcome the armor regardless. The system does also distinguish types of attacks (pierce, cut, bludgeon) so maybe you can tweak pierce and bludgeon attacks to be a little stronger against armor.

Apparently, piercing damage has 25% armor penetration, blunt has 33%, cutting has 0%.

There's also an "extra_penetration" property for weapons. Mechanics are poorly documented, though :/ .

Couched lance strikes still kill mailed opponents ~95% of time. Crossbows seem to have lost a lot of effectiveness, though. With scale and coat of plates they tend to do 0-20 damage. With greater chance for 0.

War picks and similar will require increased damage and adding extra penetration. Did it with glaives and it's pretty brutal. Average glaive hit does about 20 damage per hit against armour which makes Rhodoks especially effective against armoured opponents. I made Glaive do double the damage of sword and gave it extra_penetration.

Warband tends to have much lower piercing damages of weapons than cutting. Should it be like that or should piercing/cutting mode have the same damage?

Galloglaich wrote:There is another user controllable setting which will increase the damage done to you and your allies, I think the default is only 25%. So probably if you increase the effectiveness of the armor

Damn, I thought it's for friendly fire damage. But apparently friendly fire isn't possible. I play with 100% damage.

Galloglaich wrote:The mod you linked by the way worked, but it is apparently only a Mount and Blade mod not a Warbands mod. To get the latter I'll probably have to sign up on that mods site.

G

This one is for warband:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/1257-ad-middl ... nd-release
Arkon

Postby Galloglaich » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:47 am

Thanks, that one is a vast improvement over the other and over warband

G
Galloglaich

Postby Arkon » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:09 am

Galloglaich wrote:Thanks, that one is a vast improvement over the other and over warband

G

Yeah, very nice. It's a shame it still has hollywood armour, though :( .
Arkon

Postby Galloglaich » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:58 pm

Well, you can always mod it... is that what you are doing editing XML files for the armor or something? Once I settle into this one I might want to do the same thing.

There also seem to be a lot of historical based weapons and armor in the game that I didn't see in the default game.

The only thing I don't get is, having put in Hungary, Teutonic Knights ordernstadt, Bohemia, Poland, and the HRE, why not also have the Tartars as a country? The game already had the Kerghits who are 80% of the way there.. and they are a real important part of that world in the mid 13th Century.

I love that these people at Taleworld made it so open to modders and also that you don't have to use STEAM to play it or any other lame shit.

I hate that it made me waste half my weekend :oops:

I wonder how good the next one will be they obviously got a ton of good feedback from the modding community, some of whom appear to know what they are talking about at least to some extent.

G
Galloglaich

Postby Arkon » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:34 am

I made Glaives do 2x damage of swords and gave them extra penetration. They are quite brutal. They can butcher armoured horses in a few-to-several hits and kill a heavily armoured knight with several blows. Tried several fights Swadians vs. Rhodoks with Rhodoks getting 90+% melee infantry like under Courtrai. What a butchery. I always end up losing with equal or slight advantage in numbers.

Galloglaich wrote:Well, you can always mod it... is that what you are doing editing XML files for the armor or something? Once I settle into this one I might want to do the same thing.

Here's an editor:
http://mountandblade.mircon.de/wp/morgh ... editor-en/

That mod has lots upon lots of armour. Don't have strength to go through all of it now. Separate armours for different factions.

Galloglaich wrote:There also seem to be a lot of historical based weapons and armor in the game that I didn't see in the default game.

The only thing I don't get is, having put in Hungary, Teutonic Knights ordernstadt, Bohemia, Poland, and the HRE, why not also have the Tartars as a country? The game already had the Kerghits who are 80% of the way there.. and they are a real important part of that world in the mid 13th Century.

They'd probably be OP or something.
Arkon

PreviousNext

Return to Codex, OGL and other Game Systems