Mount and Blade

Re: Mount and Blade

Postby Arkon » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:55 am

Galloglaich wrote:I'm getting hacked down in the historical game by two axe blows or two javelins, and I have mail armor! I may need to try that editor, but maybe you can get better armor or I just need more hit points.

IIRC, HP doesn't change that much with levels. It's the Hollywood armour. Sadly, the game and mod makers are still very ignorant when it comes to effectiveness of armour.

I don't like the campaign mode in Warband. Prefer single battles. Too bad the battle selection is pretty limited.

I attached my work on the mod so far. It's for the Native module. To use it one needs to replace the item_kinds1.txt file from Native (rename or copy it first) to the one from the attached archive.
item_kinds1.tar.gz
(17.4 KiB) Downloaded 117 times

What do you think about it?
Arkon

Postby Galloglaich » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:32 pm

I've been playing the Campaign game of the 13th Century mod - the ineffectiveness of the armor is a bit annoying but then again, that usually boils down to my ineptitude at playing the game which leaves me standing there getting whacked with a halberd over and over again, which you probably can't do in mail safely (if only because of the back-spike). In the original Mount and Blade and (I think) in the unmodded Warbands, it seems like it was a lot easier (too easy) for me to charge into a group of infantry for example and kill some and get away unscathed. Nothing in the game allows you to cut the horses reigns or hamstring the horse or jam a pike into your visor or what have you, so I think the crappy armor kind of compensates for that. That said, I am tempted to try your armor fix, but not enough to go back to the regular Warbands since I like the mod a lot better.

Other than that I think it's a lot of fun, but I'm still trying to learn it. I've gotten slightly more competent on the tactical level and the campaign but I'm still not as good as I was with the other versions of the game. The historical mod has, as we discussed before, quite a few nice enhancements both on the tactical and campaign level. As crude as it is, it has been giving me a lot of ideas about the realities of small unit combat in a medieval context, and cavalry warfare in particular. I've got about two pages of stuff that I want to add to the Codex.

So right now I'm still kind of trying to figure it all out and while I do see many things that are off, right now I see so many cool things in it that I hadn't thought of before that I'm trying to learn it fully and figure out how it can improve the Codex and my Codex Baltic campaign book (that I'll probably never finish). I'm getting a lot of good ideas right now so it's still fun!

I also notice there are far fewer problems, and more logical elements in the 13th Century mod than in the basic game. I'd love to try the 15th Century one.

G
Galloglaich

Postby Galloglaich » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:04 am

Here are some of the notes I've made for myself so far:

Wearing a shield on your back
Acts as armor … +1 Bypass coverage, +4 for rear attacks, surprise attacks and ‘blindside’ attacks.

Horse Barding
Slows the horse down, coverage / DR

Horse Feats (optional)
xxx

Battlefield Awareness
(pre-req Situational Awareness )
Battlefield Awareness means the ability to track enemies who are either aiming at you or heading for you (on foot or on horseback) by spending 1 MP per round. This can be the 1 MP you get from your Situational Awareness MF. You get a Free Dice on any Reflex saving throw made during this round. You will never be Blindsided (see Blindsiding) but will always retain your full Passive Defense.

Battlefield Reflexes
Commit one MP at the beginning of the round to BR, and you get a Free Dice for defense or defensive movement only for up to 3 attacks made against you in that round from a ‘new’ attacker.

Aiming
Each MP used for aiming after the prep grants an additional +1, up to the strength bonus (for bows) or up to +4 for crossbows and guns. (this may already be covered)

Eye of the Marksman
Xxx works with crossbows or guns. Can spend an extra MP

Eye on the Horizon
Xxx spot threats at long distance, notice signs of activity (plumes of dust, fires) and traces of passing armies.

Blindsiding Attacking enemies who have already spent their MP and don’t see you. In small unit combat, you may search for blindside target based on numeric odds of number of fighters on each side.

Shifting
Moving in an inconvenient direction relative to someone that is targeting you. Similar to sidestep but more so. Allows you to spend 1 dice on movement to ‘steal’ one aiming MP from someone targeting you on any round you move at least 50’.

Evasive riding
Xxx all movement MP can be used as defensive dice

Dzhigitovka
Horse Tricks:
Saddle vault
Xxx
Stand on Saddle
Xxx
Cossack Drag
Xxx (hang from the saddle and grab something off the ground)
Ground leap
jump to the ground and back to the saddle
Galloglaich

Postby Galloglaich » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:10 am

Obviously those are 'half ideas' and not fully thought through yet.
Galloglaich

Postby Galloglaich » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:17 am

As for the armor file you uploaded, wow I see what you mean... looks like a lot of patient work to go through all those. Which one is the armor number?

G
Galloglaich

Postby Arkon » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:05 pm

Galloglaich wrote:As for the armor file you uploaded, wow I see what you mean... looks like a lot of patient work to go through all those. Which one is the armor number?

G

It's all items. I don't know which number is armour. I used editor to edit armour. Used text editor only when editing weapons.

I think there are about 20 armour items or something in Native and several times as many in 1252.
Arkon

Postby Arkon » Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:19 am

One bad thing that I've noticed is that the character can walk backwards without tripping.
Arkon

Postby Thaeris » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:47 am

I hope you don't mind a bit of necro in this thread:

I was playing The Last Days of Middle Earth (TLD) for Warband not too long ago, and I really was impressed by what I saw in terms of polearms in the game - M&B has a tendency to short polearms, I think, both in terms of what they do and how common they are in the field. TLD was thus very surprising considering how effective spearmen are: tightly packed groups of Gondorian spearmen are very difficult to bypass, and if the attack of one man fails to connect, the follow-up attack of his comrade surely will. Single, isolated spearmen are not nearly as effective, and I think many commentors have suggested that there is historical precedent for that aspect as well.

That said, does the codex ruleset allow for defensive/offensive bonuses for groups of combatants wielding "compatible" polearms such as spears or pikes?

...I hope you can forgive that question if it's dealt with in the manual - I have been parusing through the material from time to time, but I'm very, very new to actual pen and paper games.
Thaeris

Postby Thaeris » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:47 am

I hope you don't mind a bit of necro in this thread:

I was playing The Last Days of Middle Earth (TLD) for Warband not too long ago, and I really was impressed by what I saw in terms of polearms in the game - M&B has a tendency to short polearms, I think, both in terms of what they do and how common they are in the field. TLD was thus very surprising considering how effective spearmen are: tightly packed groups of Gondorian spearmen are very difficult to bypass, and if the attack of one man fails to connect, the follow-up attack of his comrade surely will. Single, isolated spearmen are not nearly as effective, and I think many commentors have suggested that there is historical precedent for that aspect as well.

That said, does the codex ruleset allow for defensive/offensive bonuses for groups of combatants wielding "compatible" polearms such as spears or pikes?

...I hope you can forgive that question if it's dealt with in the manual - I have been parusing through the material from time to time, but I'm very, very new to actual pen and paper games.
Thaeris

Postby Galloglaich » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:30 pm

Hi! Yes no problem necro threading, the whole forum is kind of necro lately.

Codex has the cooperative fighting feat which I think best represents this. It's something like if you have multiple guys who have the feat, who have trained together through leveling-up, they get a free dice or something like that. I think there are a couple of other similar feats.

Codex is due for an update though.

Just FYI to anyone reading this, though the compression of my free time due to work has continued, I have been doing work, and for the last 5 years that has almost all been on a major revision and update of the "Codex Guide to the Medieval Baltic". All the stuff I learned in the academic research and papers I've written in the last few years has gone into the update. I've also added hundreds of new images mostly from medieval books that I've tracked down.

It is a thing of beauty if I do say so myself, though it took a crippling amount of time. It's almost done now and when it is, it will be a free upgrade to anyone who either bought or was given a comp copy of the Codex Baltic book on DriveThruRpg, so long as you have "auto update" (or whatever the equivalent is) selected. There are more than 2000 people who have bought it amazingly, over the years. They are all going to get a much improved book.

I'm also going to be doing a limited run of hard copies as kind of coffee table book. That will be expensive to print though since it's like 300 pages and full color.

Once this thing is done and out, I shall return to all my old stalled Codex RPG projects: Codex character generator, codex magic, and updates to codex core rules, armor book and weapons book.
Galloglaich

PreviousNext

Return to Codex, OGL and other Game Systems