What Makes Us Such a Target for Spammers?

The lower Decatur Street of RpG's, anything goes at the Abbey...

What Makes Us Such a Target for Spammers?

Postby Thaeris » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:25 am

Title says it all - but I must ask, why do we end up with so many spam posters/bots? I have no experience running a website, so I have no real valid input on how to handle the problem - what baffles me is why such a small, niche website ends up with the volume of adverts it gets. Anything for that sale, right?
Thaeris

Re: What Makes Us Such a Target for Spammers?

Postby Galloglaich » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:32 pm

I think they target all the websites of certain type of software, in this case PhPBB which is all probably automated. It's creepy how persistent they are and the bots are smarter and smarter.

The software for this site hasn't been updated in a while and I've lost contact with the guy Ian who very kindly hosts it for me and has done for many years. I may try to figure out how to move it to a new host somewhere else but I need to make sure I can set up something permanent or very stable. There is a lot of content on this forum I don't want to lose!
Galloglaich

Postby Thaeris » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:33 pm

Can we nuke MashaKek sooner than later?

On a more amazing note, the bot is advertising captcha-breaking software. Is this supposed to be a form of intimidation?
Thaeris

Postby Galloglaich » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:03 pm

It's weird, there were 5 spam accounts active, I think they log them on and wait it out sometimes for weeks before activating. Most seem to be from Russia. The forum software probably needs to be updated, it's an old version of PhpBB and it's probably got vulnerabilities. I've lost Ian's email addy but will get in touch with him, I know Richard Marsden has it.
Galloglaich

Postby Thaeris » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:43 pm

Galloglaich,

I've been flagging spam posts for a while now, though I've fell off the wagon recently in that regard. Has this been helping in dealing with spammers?
Thaeris

Postby Galloglaich » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:32 pm

I think I deleted all of the active bot accounts, it looks like there are dozens more though waiting. Going to do more cleanup tonight and zap those, and then I'm going to look into moving the site.

Stay tuned!
Galloglaich

Postby Thaeris » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:51 pm

G,

Is there any way we can help to speed up the process of getting a new site hosted? I was curious to know, considering that I just got spammed via PM.
Thaeris

Postby codex » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:43 am

Yes I'm sorry, it turns out there is a lot going on. I just found out in fact.

We will be trying to move the site possibly as early as this weekend, by the end of next week at the latest. I'll post more about it tomorrow.
codex
Site Admin

Return to Abbey Pub