Welcome to the Abbey

The lower Decatur Street of RpG's, anything goes at the Abbey...

Welcome to the Abbey

Postby Galloglaich » Sun May 17, 2009 8:30 pm

Welcome to the Abbey... grab a pint of Guinness, put a couple of bucks in the Jukebox, and tell us some of gripes, your dreams, and your nightmares...
Galloglaich

Re: Welcome to the Abbey

Postby zarlor » Wed May 20, 2009 11:28 am

Sometimes I think that picture is one of my nightmares. ;) At least there are no weapons being bandied about!
Last edited by zarlor on Thu May 21, 2009 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lenny Zimmermann

"A soldier uses arms merely with skill, whereas a knight uses them with virtuous intention." - Pomponio Torelli, 1596.

- Systeme D'armes, New Orleans, Louisiana
http://www.sdanola.com
zarlor

Postby Galloglaich » Thu May 21, 2009 6:41 pm

Why would that be a nightmare? You are among friends...
Galloglaich

Postby zarlor » Fri May 22, 2009 9:27 pm

Friends and.... double-fisted drinkers in the Quarter!! EEEK! :o Run away! :twisted:
Lenny Zimmermann

"A soldier uses arms merely with skill, whereas a knight uses them with virtuous intention." - Pomponio Torelli, 1596.

zarlor

Postby Arkon » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:39 am

Hello, I'm new here :) .
Arkon

Postby Galloglaich » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:02 am

Hi welcome to the forum..... what brings you to the Codex...?

G.
Galloglaich

Postby Arkon » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:59 am

Interest in realism in RPGs. I'm coming from the cRPG background, though (I haven't played any serious PnP yet beyond some play by post stuff).
I got interested in real medieval/renaissance weapons after playing Baldur's Gate. For some weird reason I got that bizarre urge to mod that game (and it's sequel) to make it a bit more realistic (actually, it happens to me with almost every game that isn't an arcade game, a wargame or a simulator, I actually tried to add realism to Command & Conquer *cringes*) so, I ended up collecting books about old weapons/armour and when I got an Internet access, I got interested in western martial arts (I have never had enough money to study them personally, though).
Some time later, I grew out of Forgotten Realms and my 1/10realistic combat mod became a Total Conversion.

Some time ago, I saw a mention of Codex Martialis in a thread about game stats in MyArmoury. A few days ago I have bought a copy of the core rulebook and it had a link to the forum.
Arkon

Postby zarlor » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:12 pm

Welcome!

Getting started in HEMA/WMA doesn't cost a lot of money. Heck, many manuals and plenty of translations are available freely on the 'net and you can practice guards and strikes just using a broomstick in your backyard. It can get expensive when you start getting into sparring/free-play and piling on the safety gear and better wasters and such, but you can get started fairly cheap and work your way up to the more expensive stuff as you progress, if the interest is still there. I wouldn't let cost stop you, it certainly hasn't stopped a lot of folks I have known through the years and eventually you may get connected with other like-minded folks in your area who can afford that equipment and you can get their hand-me-downs or even just get a chance to borrow it.

So don't let cost be a deterrent to getting into HEMA, it's not like you're getting any younger, after all!
Lenny Zimmermann

zarlor

Postby Galloglaich » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:36 pm

yeah we started ten years ago we had practically nothing, now we have tons of kit but it took a long time to accumulate. And it was years before we really needed it because it was years before we even started to know what we were doing.

G.
Galloglaich

Postby Arkon » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:44 pm

zarlor wrote:Welcome!

Getting started in HEMA/WMA doesn't cost a lot of money. Heck, many manuals and plenty of translations are available freely on the 'net and you can practice guards and strikes just using a broomstick in your backyard.

What manuals and drills would you recommend for solo training? It seems that I'll have to go to PE lessons while studying, but from what the teacher said, we can choose freely what exercises/sports to do, so maybe I could exercise that stuff then. Maybe I could recruit some other people into WMA as there may be some RPG fans.

zarlor wrote:It can get expensive when you start getting into sparring/free-play and piling on the safety gear and better wasters and such, but you can get started fairly cheap and work your way up to the more expensive stuff as you progress, if the interest is still there. I wouldn't let cost stop you, it certainly hasn't stopped a lot of folks I have known through the years and eventually you may get connected with other like-minded folks in your area who can afford that equipment and you can get their hand-me-downs or even just get a chance to borrow it.

Well, there's an ARMA-affiliated fencing school in nearby city. Maybe I'll join them when my financial situation will get a bit better.
Arkon

Next

Return to Abbey Pub