Marketing the Codex

The lower Decatur Street of RpG's, anything goes at the Abbey...

Marketing the Codex

Postby Galloglaich » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:17 pm

So I'm interested from people here how you think I can spread the word on the Codex, what do you think my development priorities should be, and where should I be spending my very limited time and money to promote the new system?

I want to expand this into a new low-magic / immersive alternative OGL system, kind of a 'poor mans Pathfinder' or something like that. I want to make it open to other peoples contributions as well as new stuff that I create. Ultimately I want to complete all the combat stuff (including the new Armor and missile weapons book which is coming out soon) expand compatability links to other systems like Pathfinder, E6, True20, Ars Magica, Cthulhu Dark Ages etc., and expand the Codex systems own alternative OGL Character Generation and Magic systems.

The only thing I have for outreach is that long running forum thread on Enworld which I use kind of as a blog on real world / historical tie-ins for games, which usually generates some sales every time I post a good entry to it. I've gotten some of my HEMA / Martial Arts pals to look at the system and quite a few of them now like it and have started to use it in their own games (you'd be amazed how many tough-guy Martial Artists are into RPG's) From this group I've also gotten a lot of help in the form of ideas and contributions and corrections and images etc. Several of them have become credited contributors.

The only other marketing is that DrivethruRpg gives you some points to place your image on their site, and I've gotten lots of good reviews which usually generate some sales.

I'd like to get more people involed in this (and more people buying PDFs) any ideas from people here? Are there other forums I should go to, other places where I should get reviews, other products I should make? (I have a good homebrew Adventure module I could release with a little work for example) Should I translate the Codex into French or Spanish or Italian? Do I need to set up print on demand?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

G.
Galloglaich

Re: Marketing the Codex

Postby drkguy3107 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:19 am

Hello, I"m new but I bought both your pdf's. I recommend you contact pugknowspro and see if he will review it for you. Thats how I hear about rpg's.

http://www.youtube.com/user/pugknowspro?blend=1&ob=4
http://www.myarmoury.com ~ The most enlightening community on the web.
drkguy3107

Postby Galloglaich » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:53 pm

Thanks drkguy, I sent him an email, if he responds we'll have a review from him hopefully.

Just so everyone knows, I finally completed the initial release version of the new Core rules PDF, which basically includes all the extras I did which are scattered around this site, like the sample animals, sample characters, OGL feats and etc.

Also in the works, I kind of jumped into another long running thread on 'Giants in the Playground' forum, similar to the one i started on Enworld but much more active.

There is supposed to be a pretty big review coming out from a guy in the UK but nothing on that yet.

And I got another review from one of the guys on Giants forum, a positive on 4 out of 5.

Oh, I have experimented successfully with print on demand through Lulu, though it's somewhat expensive. Full color is very expensive. But beautiful. I finally resolved a long standing font-embedding problem I was having so print on demand is now possible. So far I've only done the Weapons book (part 1) but I'm going to try the other three next (original core rulebook, new core rulebook (just released), and new Part II of the weapons book (armor and missile weapons)

G.
Galloglaich

Postby drkguy3107 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:59 am

Hmm, how much stuff is this 3rd one gonna have in it? Doesn't seem like there can be nearly as many weapons and armour as there are weapons (mechanically there just isn't enough variety)

Additionally could you link your thread on giant in the play ground, I can't seem to find it.
drkguy3107

Postby Galloglaich » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:49 pm

This is the "Giants" thread.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124683

I have trouble finding it too without a link, their forum is a little confusing. But it seems to get a lot of traffic, and there is much more activity in that thread than on the Enworld one. Anyway I start chiming in around page 8 or 9 on that thread.

The Armor and Missile Weapons book is shorter, about half the size of the melee weapons book, and that is including armor, missile weapons, and firearms. It will be fleshed out more, especially with more fluff and descriptive text, and I'm probably going to add shields to it as well but I wanted to get it out there quickly because a lot of people were asking for armor especially. It will still probably cap out at around 80 pages.

Next... I'm not sure which of several options I want to pursue first. Magic is a big one, but will be very difficult and take a lot of time I think, though it could be done in two stages. I have a pretty good system for adopting standard OGL magic, which is simple and therefore would be small, that I could put together in a PDF pretty quickly, or maybe I'll just add that to the core rules. That way Codex would have a viable magic system. Ultimately I'd really like to expand that into historical, esoteric and mythological based systems.

The other big one is lifepath character generation. I think the character generation system for 3.5 is hideously complicated, illogical and boring. It's so complicated they had to ship a disk with the players handbook with a program to generate your character with.... and the only way I can generate NPCs etc. is to use a website I found which does all the work for you. But it still drives me nuts. A fighter can only get like 5 skills, which don't include basic things like spotting....? Lifepath would be a much more fun way to generate characters, your skills won't have to be limited by your class for example, and 3.5 balance be damned.

But that may be folded into my other big goal, which is to do historical supplements based on certain regions in specific eras of time. Say, Bronze Age Greece, 17th Century Pacific Rim (English East India company with German landsknecht crews, Dutch privateers with Japanese Ronin bodyguards, Spanish Conquistadors with Aztec minions, Moro warlords and Chinese Waco pirates ... ) Kieven Rus, Renaissance Central Europe... Voyageur period Canada (think Last of the Mohekans), Crusades era Outramer, 17th Century Ukraine... the list could go on an on. These would include lifepath Character generation, new combat rules, and all the kit (weapons and armor) you would need, and a campaign setting with NPCs, mini adventures and adventure hooks...

Think of something like an Osprey military book with Codex rules built-in. With all my re-enactor, academic historian and HEMA connections I should be able to get a lot of material for these which would make them really immersive and 'deep'.

That is what I think would really be fun once this is a bit better established. Still a far away goal but getting closer.

G.
Galloglaich

Postby drkguy3107 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:40 am

Hmm, all of that sounds pretty interesting, however my interest runs out after about the 16th century so not exactly my cup of tea. But I think the lifepath generation (and all the classes) need to be rebuilt. Personally, (as I think i've said in other topics) I would like a magic system built completely from the ground up because I think overly flashy magic is hard to believe.

To clarify, why would the hundreds of years of armour evolution even be bothered with when people could simply snap their fingers and roast you in it? The only way that makes sense is if people can somehow withstand being immolated a lot better than they can in real life (105 hp). To avoid how ridiculous that seems to me, I would rather avoid that whole concept of magic all together. To me magic is a supplement to combat, not a replacement. Wizards shouldn't fill the same role as archers like they are in 4e.
drkguy3107

Postby Galloglaich » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:56 am

I think you can still have some major magic, it just shouldn't be a routine pedestrian run of the mill kind of thing, and like you I prefer to steer away from the lasers and explosions type of magical effects, I much prefer the more indirect type.

I think the crime, the sin if you will that most fantasy RPGs indulge in all too readily is to make magic mundane. This was even taken to the point of magic subway systems and street lights in certain infamous official publications... and that was back when I thought it was as bad as it could get, before 4th Edition came out.

I like magic in an RPG but in the kind of context that makes it still feel magic, whether that is a monster or a magic item or a special place- whatever. Magic should be portrayed the way it is in Brothers Grimm fairy tales. Even traditional high-fantasy these games are based on were not that "high magic". Think how rare magic items were in the Tolkein books. This is even more true for 'low magic' novels like the original (real) Conan books, or Fafhred and the Grey Mouser, Jack Vances dying earth etc.

I like the way magic was portrayed in say, the old Sinbad films, or the original Clash of the Titans. There was magic, but it was fantastic, it existed way out on the edges of the world, and even there mortal men could cope with it if they were resourceful and lucky.

I think Call of Cthulhu pulled this off well, as does the spinoff Cthulhu Dark Ages, which I recommend buying just as a general resource. I wish they would make some more adventures for it.

Have you looked at this site for Ars Magica:

http://spellswiki.wikidot.com/

It's a really amazing resource for any kind of magic you could ever want, from very subtle and indirect to more traditional RPG style.

By the way, you do know what I mean by a lifepath character generation system, right?

G.
Galloglaich

Postby drkguy3107 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:45 am

apparently not, lol.
drkguy3107

Postby Galloglaich » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:51 am

Well I won't bore you with it then.

I'll post some descriptions of spells I think may be of the type you are interested in the Magic forum later.

G.
Galloglaich

Postby Galloglaich » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:56 am

Oh and not to pick nits, but...

drkguy3107 wrote:Hmm, all of that sounds pretty interesting, however my interest runs out after about the 16th century so not exactly my cup of tea.

Kieven Rus is 8th-10th Century, Crusades Outramer was 13th -14th Century, Central European Renaissance was 15th Century ;)

G.
Galloglaich

Next

Return to Abbey Pub