Marketing the Codex

The lower Decatur Street of RpG's, anything goes at the Abbey...

Re: Marketing the Codex

Postby Galloglaich » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:24 pm

yeah Jay's book is the only one I know of with actual fechtbuch techniques in it, but there are a few other historical novels which have good realistic fighting in them. Most of the ones I'm aware of are mentioned in my Bibliography in the Codex. "The Drawing of the Dark" actually mentions Marozzo by name in the beginning. The Henryk Seinkowicz "With Fire and Sword" trilogy has a lot of very good fencing and fighting in them, it's set in the 17th Century but it's Poland and it might as well have been the 15th. Another one I don't have in my Bibliography but probably should add is the Three Musketeers. The Long Ships has some pretty good Viking style combat in it which quite intentionally emulates the way the fighting is described in the Norse Sagas (which I also generally reccomend reading, though they vary a lot and you kind of have to get used to their style)

On the fantasy side, the original Conan books were surprisingly good, make sure you find the actual Robert E. Howard ones because they slip in a lot of other authors stuff in many of the Anthologies and none of his pals were as realistic as he was. I really liked the Dying Earth though those are quirky and the fighting is mostly tragicomic, but not altogether unrealistic.

There are a handful of others in that Bibliography I can't remember of the top of my head. Not much though sadly!

Too bad that Hussite Trilogy doesn't exist in English I'm fascinated by the Hussites. Speaking of which I've hired a researcher in Prague who is digging some stuff up about them for me, which I'll probably use for the Codex either for the current canned adventure / setting I'm doing (set in the 15th C. Baltic ) or maybe for another project.

G.
Galloglaich

Postby drkguy3107 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:55 pm

Song of Ice and Fire is my favorite series, but it's combat isn't too good. Rather I love the political intrigues and personal suffering in the book. However I would like a fantasy series that really made me think of the catholic church more. Martin's religion of the seven didn't remind me of medieval Catholicism at all, let alone the church's pervasive power. To me the middle ages has always been about religion.
http://www.myarmoury.com ~ The most enlightening community on the web.
drkguy3107

Postby Galloglaich » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:14 pm

I think you would really like Mika Waltaris "The Adventurer" and "The Wanderer", they are out of print but worth seeking out. They are really good historical novels and deal with those issues in the subtle detail they diserve, and in a very grownup way. And yet at the same time they are still good adventure yarns and introduce you to tons of fascinating historical figures as any good historical novel should do.

I'm really enjoying Dorothy Dunnets series which is also set in the Renaissance but realistically she probably doesn't get into the religion enough.

G.
Galloglaich

Postby drkguy3107 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:48 pm

Ya, my own custom setting is pretty much a late medieva/renaissance where the church was vastly more powerful than it historically was, lol.

Crusading orders have always been fascinating to me.
http://www.myarmoury.com ~ The most enlightening community on the web.
drkguy3107

Previous

Return to Abbey Pub