Codex Site moving

The lower Decatur Street of RpG's, anything goes at the Abbey...

Codex Site moving

Postby codex » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:52 am

The Codex site is moving in the very near future. I know it's not very active here any more but we still have a handful of people who post here and several dozen who lurk and read the site pretty regularly (according to the logs). It will be moving, and we will also be (probably) upgrading Codex to 5E too.

The move is first and will be very soon, hopefully in the next few days.

It turns out the very nice gentleman who hosted this site, Ian Plumb of Griffin Groves games, passed away back in 2014 unbeknown to me. Ian lived in Australia and I am in the US so we never met in person. He was a TROS fan and a game designer in his own right, as well as a generally very nice guy who helped with a lot of RPG projects. I first met him on the TROS forum where he was one of the few who was nice to me and appreciated my work on TROS. He did the layout on the original version of the Codex for a share of the revenue, which was split between he and the artist and I up to the first 500 downloads. He also gave me a ton of extremely valuable advice related to publishing and the gaming industry without which the Codex never would have happened. And Ian hosted this site out of the kindness of his own heart- I had offered to pay for the hosting several times but he refused to take my money. A real gentleman.

I had not been in touch with him for a long time and hadn't been able to reach him via email for a couple of years. This is why the bulletin board software hadn't been upgraded and the site has been overrun with hackers so bad.

The site actually expired this month but his wife was kind enough to turn it back on temporarily. We will be moving as soon as I can make the arrangements. please stay tuned for announcements here, but if the sit disappears unexpectedly google codex martialis and you should be able to find us again.

Sorry for the weird stuff going on around here, hopefully this will be remedied soon.
codex
Site Admin

Re: Codex Site moving

Postby Thaeris » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:39 am

Somber news in one respect, and good news in another - are we set up to do donations? I'd be willing to chip in a few dollars in order to get a new site moving along.

Thanks for doing this, Jean.
Thaeris

Postby Galloglaich » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:44 am

Thanks, that is appreciated, but no donations necessary. You can buy the new 5E versions of the Codex books when they come out :)

My IT guy managed to back up the database and we are putting it on another server, should have some more news soon.

G
Galloglaich

Postby Galloglaich » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:28 pm

Latest news is we were able to get a good backup of the site, not sure when we will be able to try to stand up the new one yet. Should know more tonight.
Galloglaich

Postby Arkon » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:54 am

Sad story.
Arkon

Postby codex » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:17 am

Yes for Ian. I didn't know him well but he seemed like a really nice guy.

Hopefully the kindness he showed me in hosting this site for so many years will help us see this project through to the next phase of life and maybe come out of obscurity after we switch to the new site.

I'm going to try to update Codex to 5x and start selling the books as print on demand. I don't know why I never did that before I've had them on Lulu forever and they come out very nice. Now 3.5 is obsolete so I need to figure out whatever the real gist is of the 5x contract (like are you forced to do everything in Forgotten Realms setting? there seems to be some suggestion of that in the contract... I hope not!) and I can update the books for the new version.
codex
Site Admin

Return to Abbey Pub