How did you get into DnD?

The lower Decatur Street of RpG's, anything goes at the Abbey...

Re: How did you get into DnD?

Postby Arkon » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:49 pm

Galloglaich wrote:I kind of liked it, I think I played through the whole thing... but it was a little bit too kiddified / klingon and of course the combat system had it's limitations.

I'm a computer programmer and I always wondered why people didn't put in much more realistic combat into games like that.

Well, the main problem is the audience.

There are klingons which just want to see numbers go up and form the old guard.
Storyfags who think that cRPGs are about telling stories - they are majority of Bioware fans. They love stuff like linear "dramatic" stories with "twists" and NPC romances.
Then there are C&C fags which love Arcanum and think that the gameplay of cRPGs is all about making choices and facing consequences despite that their favourite game is full of trash combat and choices and consequences suck as a gameplay element when compared to an average Japanese visual novel.
And finally, the rock bottom of cRPG gamers - the pretendfags.

Additionally most of programmers are probably naturally born Klingons, which kills any chance of anything with decent combat coming out.

Galloglaich wrote:And then a long time ago back in the 1980s there was one set in the Medieval Holy Roman Empire, realistic and decidedly low-fantasy, it was a text based game but what little I saw of it was really great. I think it was a German game. I'd like to do a modern graphical version of that one day.

I think you're talking about Darklands. It has pretty good graphics, and I like playing it. I liked how most of the game was in form of a "dialogue" with "dungeon master".
Two interesting things about this game:
1. It costed 3 millions of dollars to make.
2. It was designed by people who were working on simulation games, not RPGs, which explains why it's relatively free of retardation typical for cRPGs.

I bought a full version on eBay this year.
Arkon

Postby Galloglaich » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:02 pm

Yeah that is indeed the game. This is the kind of thing I wanted to do with Codex, if I ever get involved in a CRPG it will be like that one. And in fact it has a lifepath character generation, I had forgotten about that.

G.
Galloglaich

Postby Galloglaich » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:49 am

So Daerun did you ever run your playtest?

G.
Galloglaich

Postby Daeruin » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:29 am

Galloglaich wrote:So Daerun did you ever run your playtest?

G.

Unfortunately, no. Real life got in the way. In fact this whole campaign has taken an unexpected turn. We've decided to do it remotely due to two party members suddenly moving out of town for school. Best candidate for software looks like d20pro, has anyone ever used it? I'm not sure how easy it will be to use Codex with this program, but it might be my only choice at this point. And I may have to post my official review without having done any playing. I hate to do that, but there it is. Life throws you a curveball sometimes.
My blog: fantasy fiction, gaming, and music
Daeruin

Postby Galloglaich » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:19 am

Try to at least play through a couple of combats yourself...

I do understand how life can be though trust me...

G.
Galloglaich

Previous

Return to Abbey Pub