Spambots

The lower Decatur Street of RpG's, anything goes at the Abbey...

Spambots

Postby Galloglaich » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:47 am

I've found a few sneaky spambots that register, make one post which seems vaguely on topic, but has a link on it which is probably to a virus, some of these have been kind of hiding in here in more or less plain sight for ... I'm embarassed to say in some cases more than a year. If you notice any of these please let me know.

The exception is some russian ones which I have deleted the users but the posts won't go away because they were posted under 'guest' account, not sure what to do about that.

G.
Galloglaich

Re: Spambots

Postby codex » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:22 am

due to the persistent spam attacks I've temporarily suspended new accounts on the forum, I'll try unlocking it in a week and see if it stops.
codex
Site Admin

Postby Galloglaich » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:24 am

ever since I set new accounts to 'notify admin' mode I now get 5 or 6 requests per day. All from spammers or spambots as far as I can tell. Somebody is after me!

G.
Galloglaich

Postby Daeruin » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:11 pm

It's not just you. This is happening on practically every forum and blog I visit. Some genius hacker has figured a way past the current standard security measures or something.
My blog: fantasy fiction, gaming, and music
Daeruin

Postby codex » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:00 pm

Well, the spam attack has continued, 5 or 6 fake accounts are trying to sign up every day, almost all from Russia or the Philippines. So I've blocked new registration completely for the time being. I'll check after a week to see it it's ok to go back to normal.
codex
Site Admin

Return to Abbey Pub