Fencing tournament win

The lower Decatur Street of RpG's, anything goes at the Abbey...

Fencing tournament win

Postby Galloglaich » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:30 pm

So offf topic in terms of games, but my fencing club and another club from Louisiana joined forces last weekend for a 'raid' on another club in Houston, and I'm very glad to say we won! I attached a photo of our club right before the fight. I'll post some video later.

G
Attachments
SLUMFU_n.jpg
My club from Houston tournament
SLUMFU_n.jpg (78.76 KiB) Viewed 4434 times
Galloglaich

Re: Fencing tournament win

Postby Galloglaich » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:31 pm

I am the fat guy 5th from the left, with the gray shirt and gray shorts, and a nylon sparring sword in my right hand.

G
Galloglaich

Postby Galloglaich » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:15 pm

Footage from the tournament. Please don't share the link on any other site.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wmKY5YimnI

G.
Galloglaich

Postby Arkon » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:23 pm

Cool :D .
Arkon

Postby Daeruin » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:40 pm

Nice to see you in action!
My blog: fantasy fiction, gaming, and music
Daeruin

Postby Galloglaich » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:42 pm

yeah, I only won two matches, but my team did well, and I knocked out two of their better fighters. The little guy who beat me, Nathan Grepares, won 9 matches, and he also beat the infamous Swede Axel Petterson at last years big international tournament in Houston (only to be defeated in turn by Axels equally formidable team-mate Anders) But my guys and the Baton Rouge guys (we combined together to make a team of 8) defeated the Houston guys by I think 27 matches to 24.

That big intl. tournament is coming up in a few weeks, on March 16, I'm supposed to fight in 3 tournaments, steel Belgian rules for instructors only, the nylon longsword like the one in the video above, and (leather) dussack. We'll see how far I can last without getting injured, I hope I can do well in at least one of the three and can stay intact enough to make the 5 hour drive home. I'm confident with the mob of goons I'm bringing though that the Louisiana crewe will make a name for ourselves again regardless of how I do. We have 3 really strong fencers going this year.

Right now I'm trying to straighten out my gear, they require so much stuff now days and a lot of my kit is falling apart, most alarmingly my gloves because it's very hard to find alternatives these days and your hands are extremely vulnerable. The only fencing gloves I know of that you can buy which are good enough for hard core tournament fencing are made in Poland and cost 400 Euro and there is a waiting list. I couldn't afford those if I wanted to. I also need to have a padded coat made, I'm working on a couple of angles for that. last year I faked it with a jacket that I'd hollowed the stuffing out of, but they won't let me get away with it this year. Not to mention fighting without safety gear is risky.

It's a rich mans game and a young mans game, but I guess I'm going to hang in there one more year at least :)

G
Galloglaich

Postby Galloglaich » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:06 pm

Do any of y'all do any martial arts or re-enactment or anything like that?

G
Galloglaich

Postby Daeruin » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:30 am

Not me. I would love to get into HEMA or ARMA or whatever, but I've checked and haven't been able to find any groups in my area. I was surprised.
My blog: fantasy fiction, gaming, and music
Daeruin

Postby Galloglaich » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:31 pm

HEMA is the generic term for the martial art, WMA is another term. ARMA is a specific HEMA group you probably don't want to get involved with (my personal opinion)

There are HEMA groups all over though, but not everywhere yet. I assume you have checked these maps?

http://www.communitywalk.com/user/view/81443

G
Galloglaich

Postby Arkon » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:36 am

Galloglaich wrote:Do any of y'all do any martial arts or re-enactment or anything like that?

G

Well, I used to train Krav Maga on beginner level before getting a cold and getting a contusion of hand after returning and having to pause for some time. I never got to continue training it as on next year something happened to my joints and now I can't do push-ups and stuff like that.
Arkon

Next

Return to Abbey Pub