Updating Codex core rules

The lower Decatur Street of RpG's, anything goes at the Abbey...

Re: Updating Codex core rules

Postby Galloglaich » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:41 pm

Note: Torsion spring? ballista from Medieval document

G
Galloglaich

Postby Luca C. » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:53 pm

I'm curious about the portable version (manubalista).
I'm also a bit ignorant about those stats...how do compare torsion technology with equivalent crossbow technology?
Luca C.

Postby Galloglaich » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:09 am

Martial FeatsPreRecTable.pdf
(124.56 KiB) Downloaded 132 times
I worked on the Codex stuff a bit today. I put out an update on the Missile Weapons / Armor doc (I should really come up with a better name for that) fixing an error about balestrinos, putting in crossbow spanning devices, fixing a bunch of stuff in the firearms section and adding a couple of images.

I was also doing a bit of work on character generation, and I made a table of Martial Feat pre-requisites which might be kind of useful (attached)

Tomorrow I'm going to try to make a flow-chart if I can find the time. The next update though is going to be on "Weapons of the Ancient World 1", hopefully also tomorrow.

G
Galloglaich

Postby Galloglaich » Thu May 02, 2013 3:18 am

Working on this again yesterday. I'm trying to 'normalize' the prices of things a bit. I think I'm just going to make gold pieces like 'gulden' or 'florins', and make 'silver pieces' the main currency, equivalent to groschen or kreuzer. I'll have to have a third coin which I guess will just be bronze dinarii (even though mostly I think even the small coinage was silver).

G
Galloglaich

Postby Galloglaich » Sun May 12, 2013 5:03 am

scrible scrible scrible ... type type type
Galloglaich

Postby Galloglaich » Mon May 13, 2013 1:46 am

Ok core rules version 25.2 is complete.

G
Galloglaich

Postby Galloglaich » Mon May 13, 2013 6:42 pm

In addition to 'normalizing' the pricing of everything to be in sync with late Medieval historical prices (with some guesswork for Asian weapons), I fixed the Naginata by making it cut better but have no grappling ability, clarified the Binding rules a bit more, changed the ranges on crossbows (I'm now basically giving them the same range as the most powerful bows since the idea of their flat trajectory seems to be disproven) added one new MF ("Sea Legs") and purged references to non-existant martial feats.

I still need to update the prices in the Weapons and Weapons II books now with the same prices.

The main reason to do the update now was to get the money system in sync with the income on the new core character classes I'm making for the character generation book. I'll be working on that again tonight.

G
Galloglaich

Postby drkguy3107 » Tue May 14, 2013 7:39 pm

Why the change in crossbows? How was flat trajectory disproven? Why the loss of the windlass?
http://www.myarmoury.com ~ The most enlightening community on the web.
drkguy3107

Postby Arkon » Wed May 15, 2013 12:38 am

Cool.
Arkon

Postby Galloglaich » Wed May 15, 2013 2:33 am

drkguy3107 wrote:Why the change in crossbows? How was flat trajectory disproven? Why the loss of the windlass?

Flat trajectory has been disproven - though they excelled at the direct shot, crossbows were also used for area shots just like bows and apparently had better range than I thought (Payne Galway for example shot an antique one 460 meters in 1905) - the more powerful ones probably better than longbows though I prefer not to open that can of worms if I don't absolutely have to. There was some period art that showed them used for indrect shots (like the Olaus Magnus image above), but at first I thought it was kind of an anomoly... one of those things you put an asterix by. But it showed up more and more in the records (most recently in two books I got of records from 15th and 16th century Augsburg) so I had to adjust.

I didn't (intentionally) remove the windlass ... ? I'll take a look to see if it's missing.

G
Galloglaich

PreviousNext

Return to Abbey Pub