Finally made it in

The lower Decatur Street of RpG's, anything goes at the Abbey...

Finally made it in

Postby El Cid » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:05 pm

Thanks for all help Galloglaich .

Keep up the good work .

I should add that I am particularly excited about the prospect of a historical campaign and hope that any ( pseudo-)fantasy elements will be included as add-ons to the setting .

I've no problem with superstition in a medieval campaign , but it would have to be just that : superstition .

Perhaps at some point we could also talk a bit about earlier periods of medieval history ?

Anyway , I'll be sure to check here often and perhaps write something , for a long time have I waited for a historical campaign , at some point I even considered starting the research for my own but alas ...

Also , very keen to try the system on the Conan RPG .

I would also like to try and squeeze a grid in the system , preferably a hexagonal one .

So many things to talk about , eh ?
El Cid

Re: Finally made it in

Postby Galloglaich » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:30 pm

Welcome to the forum. Feel free to tell us a bit about yourself, how you found the codex, what kind of games you play, where in the world you reside (Codex seems to be more popular overseas than in the US) and so on.

G
Galloglaich

Postby El Cid » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:31 am

A friend of mine sent me an illegal digital version of the rules of the game ( I'm sorry , really ) thinking I'd be interested. He was right and I got to search the internet about it immediately .

The most exciting thing I discovered was the upcoming setting .

I also saw that some of the books were available in printed format at lulu , but not all of them . And I would also like to ask about that as well .

Disclaimer :
I consider the money to purchase the whole work "already spent" , as long as there is a final , printed version of the game and setting to purchase . I'm kind of a fetishist when it comes to rpg books .

Any info on that part ( any plans for release in printed format ) ?

Other than that I'm into gaming in general , from pc games to board games , with the latter being my main focus lately , mainly due to lack of time for a proper RPG campaign ( board games do not require weekly discipline , dedication and strict coordination of many work schedules of the participants , with the digital media not being an adequate alternative way of running RPG's in my opinion ) . Still , Role Playing Games remain my all time favorite games as they were my first love in the "hobby gaming" . Being a friend of medieval history it was only fate that led me here .
El Cid

Postby Galloglaich » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:23 pm

Board Games and gaming
I know what you mean about board games and digital games. Unfortunately I haven't even had time to do board games this year very much, let alone run an RPG campaign, but they are my first love. It seems so strange to me how the kind of people who never would have played RPG's at my work and other venues are obsessed with WoW and Skyrim and neither one really does anything for me. The only computer game of that genre which interested me was Mount and Blade but I never had time to really learn it yet (hope to this year when I finally replace my ageing desktop computer at home).

Printing
I do have printed copies avalailable (on Lulu) of the core Codex rules and the two weapon books, and also the historical setting book "Codex Guide to the Medieval Baltic" (CGMB), but that isn't quite finished yet, (after 4 years... more on that in a moment). The historical campaign which was supposed to go with it isn't close enough to completion yet for PDF publishing let alone hard copy. The other two Codex projects (Magic and Character generation) are also not quite close enough to completion for PDFs yet even so they are not available in print. I've really only used Lulu to make print copies for myself and a few friends, but I've found the books come out very nice. Occasionally they sent me the wrong book though and I really wasn't comfortable with that, because you have no recourse. But the black and white copies are pretty cheap, I sell them basically at cost, I think they are around $12 or $15. The Codex Guide to the Medieval Baltic being all color and very long now (over 250 pages) is not cheap and probably shouldn't be purchased yet.

Codex Baltic
By way of explaining that, originally CGMB was meant to be an historical guide / companion to a Baltic historical campaign I was running, that I was going to turn into a sort of game module for the Codex. I think this actually started something like 4 or 5 years ago now. What I found was that as I was doing the research for what I had originally planned to be about a ten page guide, turned into a trip down the rabbit hole like Alice into Wonderland; a massive historical research project which dovetailed into my other major obsession (historical fencing), and actually kickstarted something of a quasi-academic side career for me. Last year I did a lecture on historical fencing and Medieval City-States at a fencing event in Boston, and a couple of weeks ago the abstract for a peer reviewed paper on medieval urban militias was accepted by a journal in Hungary. Anyway I'm still trying to finish Codex Baltic and I now finally have enough source material to properly flesh out and correct the rest of it. Right now it's in the hands of an editor but when it comes back I'm going to add some more material from 5 new sources I got, and do one more edit... and then it will be ready for printing. I'll put it on Amazon at that point.

Other projects
So the Baltic book as a result has taken away a lot of time from codex projects. But I've been moving a bit more on those, and they include the Baltic Campaign, the Magic book, and the Character Generation book. All three are substantially fleshed out, but all three need to be finished. Can't say for sure when that will actually happen, unfortunately my day job has been taking up a lot of my time lately (including weekends and evenings) but I'm hoping that will taper off soon.

G
Galloglaich

Postby drkguy3107 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:29 pm

Mount and blade was awesome, till I stopped playing.
http://www.myarmoury.com ~ The most enlightening community on the web.
drkguy3107

Postby El Cid » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:32 pm

On another note , Galloglaich , I think there's a problem with personal messaging too .
El Cid

Postby drkguy3107 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:52 pm

By the way Galloglaich, you need to make sure that you finish the medieval baltic. Don't just keep adding sources, or it will never end. With writing, eventually you have to just end the research, take in no more new material, and write what you think is most salient, then done. In college I was told about an American academic, who upon his PH.D dissertation was considered brilliant, and every one was waiting for him to write a book on American cultural history that would change the academic landscape. But the years dragged on and on, and his book never came, hounded by publishers, he eventually became a recluse. He died without finishing the book, and after his death they found a set of notes that was 100 pages of information on a 3 page children's rhyme about Daniel Boon.

Point is, that rabbit hole has no end, and you have to make sure you find your way back up.

On another note: Your speech was quite good and very informative, I find much of the medieval generalizations you hear so often don't pertain to Germany very much. The filthy towns tend to be in England and France.
http://www.myarmoury.com ~ The most enlightening community on the web.
drkguy3107

Postby Galloglaich » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:30 pm

Thanks man, really appreciate that.

And yes, I do understand. That story of the PhD candidate is a familiar trap! But you can tell from having seen the speech, both A) it's an incredibly complex subject, so very different from what we were taught in school, and B ) I am gradually getting a grip on it.

The last few sources I got helped me actually make sense of a lot of curious facts that I really didn't know how they strung together, and also flesh out some areas (like rural life and the aristocracy, and the universities) which I didn't fully understand before.

I just need to bite the bullet and get this last series of things in there, and then get the edit done, and I'll be done, finally. Then I can start writing these shorter academic articles and get back to codex stuff. I know it's been quite a detour, but the light at the end of the tunnel is actually in sight.

I'm also thinking of doing little youtube history videos if I can figure out an efficient way to do it.

G
Galloglaich

Postby El Cid » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:29 pm

El Cid wrote:On another note , Galloglaich , I think there's a problem with personal messaging too .

Test message received , the following have consistently come up every time I try to send anything ( even the answer to your test personal message ) :

Code: Select all
General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

Incorrect string value: '\xCE\x91n id...' for column 'message_text' at row 1 [1366]

An SQL error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact the Board Administrator if this problem persists.
El Cid

Postby Galloglaich » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:52 am

Ok I am notifying Ian, something missed during the upgrade probably

G
Galloglaich

Return to Abbey Pub