HEMA in Film

The lower Decatur Street of RpG's, anything goes at the Abbey...

HEMA in Film

Postby Galloglaich » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:36 pm

Some HEMA fencer friends in the Netherlands choreographed this, action starts at 3:15

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQtpKc_7muE

G
Galloglaich

Re: HEMA in Film

Postby Daeruin » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:43 am

That was fun. I lived in the Netherlands for a while, but my Dutch is too rusty, so I had a hard time following what they were saying. The film was pretty well done. I really enjoyed seeing the guards and maneuvers I've learned the past few months. There was just one part where they paused in the bind just a little too long to be realistic. It seemed like one of them could have thrust and ended the fight right there. Right at the end, it looked like the bearded guy was trying for a scheitelhau, but he was too close.
My blog: fantasy fiction, gaming, and music
Daeruin

Postby drkguy3107 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:47 pm

I liked it alot, however the barbarian was weird.
http://www.myarmoury.com ~ The most enlightening community on the web.
drkguy3107

Postby Galloglaich » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:45 am

Yeah the Barbarian was kind of goofy, but I guess they are trying to do something like a 'conventional' fantasy film, only using real fencing techniques. Some parts of the fight did look a little slow but ... compare that to the scenes from say, Conan or Beastmaster. I think they are just making it clear what is happening for the audience.

All in all a fairly promising effort. Some friends of friends of mine are working on this one. From what I gather there are several more projects like this in the works, some with a much bigger budget. Stay tuned!

G
Galloglaich

Postby Galloglaich » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:49 am

Oh and... the way I read the scene, the Barbarian went into a low ('fools') guard as a lure, the other guy did the counter for that (a shietelhau) but telegraphed by adjusting his grip, and it looks like the Barbarian caught him with an unterhau / abschnieden before he could finish his cut. Just like in a tournament bout.

I like how they paused at a few key moments to give you the feel of the strategy involved in the fight.

G
Galloglaich

Return to Abbey Pub