Artisan class

The lower Decatur Street of RpG's, anything goes at the Abbey...

Re: Artisan class

Postby zarlor » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:22 pm

That sounds like a lot of pokers in the fire. I am looking forward to seeing those cantrips and certainly, in the historical sense, people definitely believed in magic and the power of talismans and charms so I'm really looking forwards to what you've dug up and how you're building them out to fit into the Codex.
Lenny Zimmermann

"A soldier uses arms merely with skill, whereas a knight uses them with virtuous intention." - Pomponio Torelli, 1596.

- Systeme D'armes, New Orleans, Louisiana
http://www.sdanola.com
zarlor

Postby Galloglaich » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:11 am

Ok these are some of the "cantrips", there is nothing particularly supernatural about any of these, they are just skill enhancements, but they were created as cantrips in the magic suppliment and I think they work in that way fairly well as a game mechanic. The question is, does the idea of magic for classes like Peasants or Outlaws ruin anything? I know some people prefer the strict no-magic-at-all environment, but the truth is historically the Medieval period was a superstitious time and people believed strongly in Magic.

Displace Weight
Peasant’s Cantrip
Transmutation
Level: Sor / Wiz 0
Components: S
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Personal
Duration: Instantaneous
Source: Invented

Function: a momentary muscular embellishment, useful only for shifting large items of furniture or pushing against a stubborn obstacle, such as a locked door. The spell conveys a +2 to any single Strength skill check. Casting: assume a classical stance and flex the biceps immodestly.
Success and Failure
On a Critical failure, the caster becomes weakened, suffering –1 temporary Strength damage.
Legal Status: A

Eye for Animals
Peasant’s Cantrip
Divination
Level: Druid 0, Ranger 0
Components: S, V
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: Touch
Duration: 1 round / level
Function: Allows hasty inspection of a single domesticated animal, granting an immediate Knowledge (nature) check at a +4 modifier. DC for this check is 15 for common domesticated animals, DC 20 for unfamiliar breeds (a Lithuanian peasant inspecting a destrier, for instance), and DC 25 for unfamiliar species. This includes both a general statement about the quality of the pedigree and the game stats, as well as the presence of any obvious illness or medical condition. Casting: Inspect the animal, running the hands over it, and muttering under your breath.
Success and Failure
On a Critical failure the caster is convinced of the opposite of the truth.

Simple Peasant
Peasant’s Cantrip
Enchantment
Level: Ranger 0
Range: Self
Duration: 1 minute / level
Function: Alters the speech patterns of the caster to be even simpler, while subtly encouraging the listener to dismiss the caster. Gives a +2 bonus to any bluff check to pretend ignorance or simplicity. Casting: An exaggerated shrug, and a mental effort are all that is required to cast this spell.
Success and Failure
On a Critical failure the listener becomes convinced the caster’s protestations are either an attempt to hide something, or mocking the listener, imposing a -4 penalty to Bluff and Diplomacy checks.

This Isn’t Fair Dealing
Peasant’s Cantrip
Divination
Level: Ranger 0, Druid 0
Range: 10’ per level
Duration: instant

Function: Reveals dishonest dealing, giving an immediate Sense Motive check on all persons in range, with a +4 bonus. Casting: Look each target in the eyes, while rubbing hands together.
Success and Failure
On a Critical failure the caster becomes convinced of dishonesty where there is none.

Advance Softly
Hunter’s Cantrip
Transmutation
Level: Druid 0, Ranger 0, Sor / Wiz 0
Range: Touch

Function: muffles one target’s footfalls and incidental noises, adding +2 to Move
Silently skill checks for the spells duration. Casting: cover the ears with the hands and shake rapidly from side to side.
Success and Failure
On a Critical failure the target of this cantrip becomes more clamorous than usual, suffering a –4 to Move Silently skill checks for one hour.
Legal Status: B

Efficacious Spring
Hunter’s Cantrip
Transmutation
Level: Ranger 0, Sor / Wiz 0
Duration: Immediate

Grants a +2 to any single Jump skill check. Must be cast as the Jump attempt is made. Casting: rapid knee bends.
Success and Failure
On a Critical failure the leaper suffers a –1 to the skill check.

Enhance Vision
Hunters Cantrip
Transmutation
Casting Time: 1 round / level
Duration: 1 round per level

Function: enhances normal vision under the dimmest light, lessening penalties for visual perception in gloom. In effect, it grants darkvision with a range of ten feet for the spells duration. Casting: push the head forward three times in quick succession, in the manner of ducks on a pond.
Success and Failure
On a Critical failure vision is notably impaired for the duration of the cantrip, imposing a –4 on all Spot and Search checks, and a –2 To Hit in combat. On a Critical success, the caster is granted darkvision to a range of 30 feet and the spells duration is doubled.

Inner Fortitude
Hunter’s Cantrip
Transmutation
Level: Ranger 0, Druid 0, Sor / Wiz 0
Components: V, S
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft. /2 levels)

Function: withstand without discomfort the effects of unseemly chill or withering high temperatures, conveying a Damage Reduction of 2 for heat or cold based attacks or environmental effects. The effect lasts one hour. Casting: inhale sharply, then huff and bellow for long moments.
Success and Failure
On a Critical failure, the caster becomes unusually vulnerable, suffering +2 damage from heat or cold effects and losing one MP for an hour due to intense shivering or sweating. On a Critical success the spell duration is doubled.

Resist Dampness
Hunter’s Cantrip
Abjuration
Level: Ranger 0, Sor / Wiz 0
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 action
Duration: 1 round per level

Function: provides a rainproof magical barrier of sufficient duration to reach nearby shelter or else dries sodden clothes in the blink of an eye. Casting: throw ones hands high and wide, and call a multi-syllable designation.
Success and Failure
On a Critical failure one becomes utterly soaked. On a Critical success the casters’ skin and clothing gain a water repellent aura for one hour.

Salt of the Earth
Peasant’s Cantrip
Enchantment
Level: Druid 0, Ranger 0, Cleric 0
Components: S, V
Range: 10’
Duration: 1 minute / level

Function: Creates an impression of wisdom in the caster’s words. This grants a +2 to Diplomacy checks. Casting: The caster must take a handful of dirt and crumble it in his hands, and argue by aphorism and agricultural metaphor for the duration of the spell.
Success and Failure
On a Critical failure the arguments sound simplistic and impose a -4 penalty on Diplomacy.

Seek the Trail
Hunter’s Cantrip
Divination
Level: Druid 0, Sor / Wiz 0
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft. /2 levels)

Function: grants a +2 to any ability checks during the spells duration while attempting to find a trail, or on any single Know Direction skill check. Casting: grasping the nose in the right hand and covering an eye with the left, the caster spins twice on the spot.
Success and Failure
On a Critical failure the caster loses the trail utterly, even using his normal senses. On a Critical success the spell duration is doubled.

Sprightly Stride
Hunter’s Cantrip
Transmutation

Function: allows a temporary increase in speed, by a factor of +10 ft. to the base move rate for one melee round. Casting: one must first adopt a stationary lunging stride, then windmill the arms in a preposterous exaggeration.
Success and Failure
On a Critical failure, the casters movement rate is reduced by 10 ft. On a Critical success the higher move rate is retained for a further 1-4 rounds.

Withstand Insects
Hunter’s Cantrip
Abjuration

Function: the caster becomes utterly repellent to small biting insects, and the caster gains a bonus of +2 deflection bonus to AC against any monstrous vermin such as giant spiders or giant centipedes. Casting: the caster must clap hands and leap from foot to foot.
Success and Failure
On a Critical failure the caster attracts all insects nearby. The effects are the same as the cleric spell Insect Plague, the caster takes 1 HP of damage per round for the spells duration, and must make a Concentration check at DC 15 to cast any spells. Large or Giant Vermin nearby may attack the caster with a bonus of +1 to hit.
Last edited by Galloglaich on Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Galloglaich

Postby Galloglaich » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:50 pm

So nobody has any opinion on the cantrips?

G
Galloglaich

Postby zarlor » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:49 am

And I thought I was impatient waiting for non-existent responses on that other forum.. ;) I had to take a while to recover from the drink that went up my nose when I read "Casting: assume a classical stance and flex the biceps immodestly. "

My first reaction was that for cantrips these were a bit strong, but then I remembered I've been playing a ton of Savage Worlds lately where a +2 is a pretty big bonus. Although where DC levels are every 5 points that is almost halfway to a given DC.

I will say that most of the effects are pretty innocuous, which is a good thing. The less "brazen" they are the more believable I think they are in terms of what a "Peasant" might cast that's easily explained as just either magic or just some great stroke of luck or wisdom. I think the only one that falls beyond that pale would be "Resist Dampness" whose effect seems a bit more blatantly obvious. Other than that one, though, I think these are pretty awesome!
Lenny Zimmermann

"A soldier uses arms merely with skill, whereas a knight uses them with virtuous intention." - Pomponio Torelli, 1596.

- Systeme D'armes, New Orleans, Louisiana
http://www.sdanola.com
zarlor

Postby Daeruin » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:36 am

I like the idea of these just giving a relatively small bonus to something. It's enough to give an edge, but not blatantly. Works well with idea of cantrips. It may or may not make an actual difference, so who's to say it was really magic?
My blog: fantasy fiction, gaming, and music
Daeruin

Postby Galloglaich » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:02 pm

Cool -thanks for the feedback guys!

Zarlor, yeah +2 is about half the effect of a 'Free Dice', it's significant but not overwhelming.

G
Galloglaich

Postby Galloglaich » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:02 pm

Anybody else?

G
Galloglaich

Previous

Return to Abbey Pub