Hate to admit it, but this sounds fun

The lower Decatur Street of RpG's, anything goes at the Abbey...

Hate to admit it, but this sounds fun

Postby Galloglaich » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:41 pm

Jake Norwood and I have talked about doing one of these for years but Guy Windsor beat us to it

http://www.reddit.com/r/wma/comments/1j ... dfighting/

G
Galloglaich

Re: Hate to admit it, but this sounds fun

Postby Daeruin » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:37 pm

I really want to get this, but it's on the expensive side. To get two decks shipped to the US you're looking at $55 just for a card game. A very beautiful and unique card game, but a card game nonetheless.
My blog: fantasy fiction, gaming, and music
Daeruin

Postby Galloglaich » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:56 pm

Yeah that's a bit crazy.... I think this could be a really neat idea though and I wonder if you could integrate it with an RPG. Jake and I talked about doing something this so many times.

G
Galloglaich

Postby Daeruin » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:33 pm

Yeah, I love the idea. My mind immediately went towards using in an RPG, too. Not quite sure how it would work, though. The card game achieves randomness by shuffling the deck. You can't predict what maneuvers you'll have in your hand, but when you have a winning maneuver, it's game over. Whereas in RPGs you can do any maneuver at any time, and it's the roll of the dice that provides the randomness. Maybe you could combine them somehow. Did you ever see the Star Wars card game, where each card has an attack/defense score and you roll dice to see if it defeats the card you're attacking?

You'd also need to account for all the different weapons and fighting styles, plus creature combat, how to integrate with magic, etc.
Daeruin

Postby Galloglaich » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:53 am

Yah it's probably too difficult but... I love the idea. Tell me a little more about how the Star Wars game worked?

G
Galloglaich

Postby Daeruin » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:57 am

The cards were divided into character, land, and space. Each card was a specific character, spaceship, or land unit from the movies or books that had its own attack, defense, health, and speed scores. One player played their Dark Side deck, and the other played their Light Side deck. Like other such card games, you assemble your own deck, shuffle it before the game, and draw your starting hand from the top. Cards have to be "built" to be put into play, but I can't recall how to determine how many build points you start out with and how many you get each turn.

When play started, the fastest card always went first, with the Dark Side always winning ties. When your card's turn came up, you would choose which enemy card to attack (within your arena—space, land, character). You rolled a number of six-siders equal to your card's attack score, and the enemy rolled a number of six-siders equal to their card's defense score. A result of four or higher was considered a success. The attacker did one damage per success, while the defender's successes negated the attacker's damage. Once a card took enough hits equal to its health, the card was removed.

It was definitely a unique take on a card game. I've never been a fan of Magic, but I really enjoyed the Star Wars card game. Rolling dice for each card made it feel a little bit more like a roleplaying game.
Daeruin

Postby Daeruin » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:41 pm

I was thinking about this the other day and came up with a few ideas. Obviously just having a specific card in your hand shouldn't let you win automatically. You also have to execute it well, and that's where the character's skill level comes in. So you could say that knowing a technique (by having the feat or by being a particular level) allows you to put that technique's card into your deck. At the start of a fight, you draw your hand. You can use any technique you know normally, but having a technique's card in your hand gives you a bonus (a simple +X or maybe a Free Die) when using that technique. You could even have multiple copies at higher levels and get bigger bonuses if you happen to have more than one copy in your hand on your turn. With the Martial Pool, you could allow a player to play one card from their hand for each MP die they use. You could also rule that you can't use the technique unless you have it in your hand.

You'd need to have multiple decks for different weapons and/or fighting styles. It wouldn't make sense to have the Pollaxe Fighting card in your deck when you're using a sword.
Daeruin

Postby Galloglaich » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:12 pm

You could also have more of a given card in your deck maybe if you were better at that particular skill?

I know in real life, something tricky (say a disarm or an absetzen) that you only barely know how to do, you may only be able to pull off once in a fight, whereas other things (a hanging parry for example) might be your go-to technique that you use over and over.

G
Galloglaich

Return to Abbey Pub