The stupidity is unbearable

The lower Decatur Street of RpG's, anything goes at the Abbey...

Re: The stupidity is unbearable

Postby Galloglaich » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:23 pm

I like Gene Wolf I may have to look for that one. He is a Jack Vance fan too ... I read a pretty good historical novel about Thermopolae called 'Gates of Fire' though I was disappointed by the guys other stuff.

Recommend the original Conan books they work well on a couple of levels and unlike in the later material, he wears armor, tries to avoid being outnumbered, tends to be sneaky and cunning rather than merely brawny and scowling ... and so on.

I think there are definitely different levels of entertainment but I'm not of the hippy mindset that "all things are equal" - you do sometimes have to call something for what it is and discern wheat from chaff, and for that matter, horse manure.

G
Galloglaich

Postby zarlor » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:17 pm

I fail to see how "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" has squat to do with Hippies. Well, unless those Greeks in the 3rd Century BC were hippies too.
Lenny Zimmermann

"A soldier uses arms merely with skill, whereas a knight uses them with virtuous intention." - Pomponio Torelli, 1596.

- Systeme D'armes, New Orleans, Louisiana
http://www.sdanola.com
zarlor

Postby Galloglaich » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:44 pm

By 'hippies' what I mean is the idea that 'all things are equal'

In other words, in our recent lives we have 5 kinds of ways of looking at things.

The unreconstructed Victorian:
"This is good, and that is bad, because this is what tradition says it should be and don't you dare to question it. Good save the queen."
Has the benefit of having some kind of standard, but tends to be backward.

The 'hippy'
"Everything is good in it's own way, man"

This is open minded, but has no standards at all.

The ideologue
"This is bad because it is listed in my dogma of bad things. This is good because it fits the 3 criteria of what a good thing is according to Karl Marx, Ayn Rand, Hitler, etc."

Close minded, somebody else who wrote a book is doing your thinking for you. This book may be right at least some of the time, so it's in some ways better than the hippy, but it almost always is really wrong some of the time too, and will not be questioned by the other ideologues under normal circumstances. So it's also dangerous to others outside of the group.

The Reactionary
"It's bad because it's new / immigrants made it / weird people made it / they used a new color"
Similar to the Victorian, but more violent. Often a little unstable. This is a point of view everyone has sometimes, sometimes it's valid, but if you let yourself stay in this mode too long you have a problem. Reactionaries can be biased toward the new and the weird just as easily as being biased toward the old and the square.

The Consumer"It's good because everyone else says it's good / it's on TV / my friends like it on facebook / it's in the mall."

Mindless, though usually fairly harmless in the short term. They just do what Madison Avenue tells them.

I belong to a much rarer type:

The Discordian"There are at least five ways of looking at that, but some ways are a lot more valid than others."

Can understand why the Hippy likes Charles Manson, and why the consumer likes Miley Cyrus, but also knows that these points of view have very little merit. He may also see how Charles Manson can be used to tweak the reactionary and why Miley Cyrus can be used to torment the Victorian, if necessary. Much in the way that strong, noxious acid can be used to clean out a clogged drain. But has the sense to know it's better to avoid these things. Just like you shouldn't normally dip your hand in strong acid.

G
Last edited by Galloglaich on Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Galloglaich

Postby zarlor » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:52 pm

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Lenny Zimmermann

"A soldier uses arms merely with skill, whereas a knight uses them with virtuous intention." - Pomponio Torelli, 1596.

zarlor

Postby Galloglaich » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:56 pm

The above image of the consumer is what they THINK they look like. This is what they ACTUALLY look like (by age 25).

G
Galloglaich

Postby Galloglaich » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:03 pm

zarlor wrote:I reject your reality and substitute my own.

hahahah yeah that's another type "the escapist "

G ;)
Galloglaich

Postby zarlor » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:15 pm

So you're saying you're the type that doesn't like to labeled... unless they're your labels? ;)

Oh and:
hahahah yeah that's another type "the escapist "

I think we've already established that I represent that remark!
Lenny Zimmermann

zarlor

Postby Galloglaich » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:50 pm

No I accept up to 5 labels. All labels are provisional. But that doesn't mean some are not more valid than others.

This is an important Discordian parable:

“All statements are true in some sense,
false in some sense,
meaningless in some sense,
true and false in some sense,
true and meaningless in some sense,
false and meaningless in some sense,
and true and false and meaningless in some sense.” '

... but almost never in equal proportions.

So for example your statement might be 20% true, 30% false and 50% meaningless, whereas mine was 80% true 5% false and 15% meaningless. Or the other way around.

G
Galloglaich

Postby zarlor » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:17 pm

My statements are always 100% meaningless. Always have been and always will be.

That being said to show just how horrible my literary tastes are I will toss out that one of my all time favorite books, and the first sci-fi novel I'd even read as a youngster but still holds up well for me today, is Frederick Pohl's Gateway. I'm also a big fan of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. Mostly I prefer sci-fi but if I had to pick something on the fantasy front I'd have to say Dragonsbane by Barbara Hambly would top my list. All the other choices by everyone else in this thread are utterly irrelevant... especially Tolkien... 20 pages devoted to the eating habits of Hobbits makes me cringe! But anything I have otherwise read, especially if I enjoyed it, is complete tripe, obviously.
Lenny Zimmermann

zarlor

Postby Galloglaich » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:40 am

Ah that looks pretty interesting

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gateway_%28novel%29

Thanks on the Amazon queue

G
Galloglaich

Previous

Return to Abbey Pub