Injury system for Codex

The lower Decatur Street of RpG's, anything goes at the Abbey...

Re: Injury system for Codex

Postby Galloglaich » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:41 pm

Ok some initial ideas. One problem I see is if you name specific locations on the body there may be issues if they had armor there and the attack was done as a bypass. If that was the case you could make a default rule that you move up the scale until you get to the first acceptable wound-type.

Bludgeon
Broken finger
Black-eye
Broken nose
Crushed ear
Broken hand
Damaged eye (bad black eye with a minor fracture)
Broken foot
Knocked out teeth (d6)
Broken rib
Broken collarbone
Broken lower-arm
Destroyed eye (permanently destroyed eye)
Broken lower-leg
Broken bicep
Broken femur
Broken Jaw / Fractured skull

Cut / Slash
Severed finger
Cut muscle arm
Cut muscle leg
Severed ear
Scar on face
Severed fingers (d4)
Blinded - one eye
Slashed throat (superficial)
Severed hand
Severed Toe
Severed nose
Severed lower-arm
Severed lower-leg
Fractured / cut ribs (multiple)
Severed upper-arm
Severed upper-leg
Evisceration

Piercing
Pierced hand
Pierced arm
Pierced shoulder
Pierced leg
Pierced buttocks
Blinded
Pierced face (scar, knocked out teeth?)
Pierced gut
Pierced lung
Pierced throat
Galloglaich

Postby Daeruin » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:32 pm

Looks like a good start. I guess these are all supposed to be survivable injuries, right? If so, anything with internal bleeding should probably be out unless there's magic.

I was moving these around into body areas for my own reference and thought I'd paste it in here in case it's useful. Notes below each section.

Bludgeon
Black-eye
Damaged eye (bad black eye with a minor fracture)
Destroyed eye (permanently destroyed eye)
Broken nose
Knocked out teeth (d6)
Crushed ear

Broken finger
Broken hand
Broken lower-arm
Broken bicep

Broken foot
Broken lower-leg
Broken femur

Broken collarbone
Broken rib

Notes: Maybe the broken finger should have a (d4) possibility like the severed finger. Same for ribs, more than one could be broken. Do we need a broken toe? Seems trivial, but it is a possibility and they can hurt like hell. I also notice broken hip is missing. Broken spine could be added if you're allowing injuries to the back. It doesn't have to be snapped like a twig, it could be just a fractured vertebrae. Maybe broken sternum, kneecap, and elbow could be added. I might leave off black eye. I don't know, it's a good bit of added color (pun intended) but not serious at all. If you keep it, maybe consider adding other types of deep bruising to the table. Can bludgeoning weapons cause internal bleeding? The spleen is particularly vulnerable. Broken ribs could pierce vital organs, and broken arm and leg bones can pierce or sever important arteries.

Cut / Slash
Blinded - one eye
Severed nose
Scar on face
Severed ear

Severed finger
Severed fingers (d4)
Severed hand
Severed lower-arm
Severed upper-arm
Cut muscle arm

Severed Toe
Severed lower-leg
Severed upper-leg
Cut muscle leg

Evisceration

Notes: Severed finger is in there twice. Is one redundant, or did you want to increase the chances of just one finger being severed? Severed foot is missing. Wow, evisceration . . . I guess we're assuming no vital organs were damaged in the process? A few other possibilities: cut buttocks, slashed muscles in back, scalp wound. I notice that this list has simple "cut muscle arm" and "cut muscle leg" which would appear to be fairly superficial wounds. If that is the case, then deep bruising would be a good correlation on the bludgeoning list, and shallow piercing wounds on the piercing list.

Piercing
Blinded
Pierced face (scar, knocked out teeth?)
Pierced throat

Pierced hand
Pierced arm
Pierced shoulder

Pierced leg

Pierced lung
Pierced gut
Pierced buttocks

Notes: Is there a reason there's no upper and lower leg/arm here? Pierced foot is another possibility. Pierced buttocks brings up the question of facing. It always seemed strange to me in the Rolemaster critical charts when there was a back wound, considering someone would have needed to turn their back to their enemy to get such a wound. If you're allowing such possibilities, then you might consider adding some kind of back wound (maybe the pierced lung and gut could be from the front or the back?). Pierced lung and gut would probably be fatal without magic, wouldn't they? Maybe depending on time period.

That's all for now.
My blog: fantasy fiction, gaming, and music
Daeruin

Postby Galloglaich » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:52 pm

great feedback thanks!
Galloglaich

Postby Galloglaich » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:53 pm

I really like your ideas which are helping to flesh out scaling the injuries from trivial, to serious, to deadly - maybe I'll divide these officially into those three categories to make it clearer?

An evisceration would mean yeah, you are cut open bad, with your internal organs or guts exposed, but you could be sewn back up by a really good healer. People have survived such wounds historically (and I'll try to dig up some examples to put into this section in the book for flavor). Obviously the chance of mortality would be pretty high. Same for a broken spine or a punctured lung and so on.

G
Galloglaich

Postby Galloglaich » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:53 pm

I was thinking of each one of these having a DC for healing, and a default healing time, a rate of permanent damage (to ability scores, senses, martial pool, speed etc.) and a default survival rate. Multiple successful healing attempts would shorten healing time and reduce permanent damage, and increase the survival rate.
For the black eye I was thinking of a really severe black eye that left your eye swollen shut, meaning effectively blindness (and an effect on search / spot) for a few days
Galloglaich

Postby Galloglaich » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:57 pm

I had a black eye like that once and I can promise you it's a pain in the ass
Galloglaich

Postby Daeruin » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:42 am

Yeah, I have been thinking about severity quite a bit. These wounds only get used when someone goes below 0 hp, right? So at the very least they took enough of a beating to get knocked unconscious, whether from general pain, shock, or a knock on the head. At worst they were barely called back from death's doorstep and may still bite the dust without some skilled attention and luck. Some of the items on the list don't really seem to fit in severity-wise. I'm tempted to suggest two lists—one for severe wounds you get from going below 0 hp, and one that you could roll on after a battle is over for general, less serious wounds. Maybe for anyone who reached half their hp or something. Just throwing out ideas.
Daeruin

Postby Galloglaich » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:12 am

Yeah not a bad idea. Maybe one for any hit over 20 hp of damage or something. Permanent result of a critical.

There is this whole abstraction of hit points as being sort of a combination of fatigue, near-misses, and maybe painful or bloody wounds which are ultimately inconsequential. Everything in this list would have potentially long-lasting effects, depending on how the healing goes (a combination of skill and luck of a healer plus appropriate, i.e. warm dry and well fed, conditions for healing) potentially permanent effects and / or death. That is what is supposed to tie them together.

I'll revise the list based on some of your suggestions and see if dividing it into two versions still makes sense, right now it kind of does. Or I can just drop the more minor ones.

G
Galloglaich

Postby Galloglaich » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:22 am

Ok here is the revised version, with more superficial injuries in blue and really severe ones in red.

Bludgeon
------Minor------
Broken fingers (d4)
Black-eye (*face)
Broken hand
Broken nose (*face)
Deep bruising arm
Crushed ear (*face)
Damaged eye (bad black eye with a minor fracture) (*face)
Deep bruising leg
Knocked out teeth (d6) (*face)
Deep bruising abdomen
Moderate concussion

------Moderate------
Broken foot
Internal injuries, minor (spleen, liver, kidneys etc.)
Broken ribs (d4)
Broken collarbone
Broken lower-arm
Destroyed eye (permanently destroyed eye) (*face)
Internal injuries, moderate (spleen, liver, kidneys etc.)
Broken lower-leg
Broken elbow
Broken bicep
Broken kneecap
Severe concussion (*head)
------Severe------
Broken femur
Internal injuries, severe (spleen, liver, kidneys etc.)
Broken back

Cut / Slash
------Minor------
Severed finger
Cut muscle arm
Severed ear (*face)
Cut muscle leg
Scar on face (*face)
Cut buttocks

------Moderate------
Severed fingers (d4)
Blinded - one eye (*face)
Cut muscle back
Scalp wound (*head)
Severed Toe
Severed nose (*face)
Severed hand
------Severe------
Severed lower-arm
Severed lower-leg
Severed upper-arm
Severed upper-leg
Evisceration

Piercing
------Minor------
Pierced hand
Scar on face (*face)
Pierced lower arm
Pierced lower leg
Pierced buttocks
Pierced upper arm
Pierced upper leg
Pierced face (scar, d4 knocked out teeth) (*face)

------Moderate------
Pierced shoulder
Blinded, one eye (*face)
------Severe------
Pierced gut
Pierced lung
Pierced throat

note most of the piercing results are either superficial or deadly, whereas bludgeon is a wider range.

EDITED: showing face and head injuries in bold, adjusted single-eye injuries to be uniformly moderate, changed pierced lower leg to pierced upper leg, staggered head and face injuries so that one doesn't follow right after another. Changed blue to a darker blue.

G
Last edited by Galloglaich on Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:33 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Galloglaich

Postby Daeruin » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:36 pm

Very cool. I like the division between different severity of injuries. I think it kind of highlights the effects of different attack types. Bludgeoning tends to cause more general damage, slashing is weighted more towards deadly injuries, and piercing doesn't have much middle ground—it's either minor or deadly.

When you assign die rolls to these charts, are you planning to make some injuries more likely than others? It seems like the various head/face injuries have more listings in the chart and should get less weight overall. I'm curious about the mechanics.

I noticed a few more little things... Destroyed/blinded eye is listed as moderate under bludgeoning and piercing, but minor under slashing. Pierced lower leg is repeated—second one should be upper leg, I think.
Daeruin

PreviousNext

Return to Abbey Pub