New Morale rule

The lower Decatur Street of RpG's, anything goes at the Abbey...

New Morale rule

Postby Galloglaich » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:41 pm

In case this was missed ...

New Morale Rule

I thought of what I think might be a cool way to handle morale.

So lets imagine a typical scenario in which two groups are facing off. A fight is looking more and more probable.

Each person in each group makes a morale roll. If you pass the roll, you get "bennies", a fixed number of Free Dice that you can apply once each, at any time (for any die roll) that you want to during the next encounter.

So say after your morale roll, you get 4 "bennies" (I'll have to call them something different but lets call them that for now), you can then add one of these to your initiative roll, to your first attack, your first defense, for a saving throw, use it for movement, to change range... basically exactly the same way as any Free Dice, but only once per "bennie" and then it's gone for the rest of the encounter.

If you fail the roll, you still get bonus "bennies", but these can only be used for defense or for escaping / evading the encounter, including for bluff or intimidation checks intended to avoid a fight.

So either way you lose nothing. You still have all your normal abilities, and your full martial pool, but you just get bonus 'Free Dice' based on your morale roll.

===================================================================================
Further thoughts

The initial die roll
The DC would be equal to the number of enemies you face, plus 1 point extra for each armored or particularly well-armed enemy (loaded crossbow or a gun for example), plus another 1 point extra for each mounted opponent.

Conversely, you would also get a die-roll bonus for every ally you have on your side, for other factors like protection (being behind cover) etc.

The build up to the fight
The opening exchange could be enhanced (I.e. die roll modifiers) by words or acts of intimidation (imaging Clint Eastwood spitting tobacco juice on a lizard in the build up to a potential shoot-out with strangers). You would normally use the intimidate skill from the SRD for this. You could also use bluff, but if you failed your contested bluff check, it would backfire. I think you could use diplomacy for defense (to avoid a fight). Your opposition for intimidate or bluff checks of course is based on the sense motive skill.

Other things like your appearance, scary or fancy armor or clothes for example, or noise, could also effect the initial die roll modifiers.

And so could things like doing a flourish / indimidating display (I think I made an MF for intimidating display) as you see in so many of the fencing manuals.

Anyway, just some initial thoughts.
Galloglaich

Re: New Morale rule

Postby Daeruin » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:35 am

I guess I'm kind of neutral on this one. Not sure if I'd use it or not.
My blog: fantasy fiction, gaming, and music
Daeruin

Postby Galloglaich » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:39 pm

Reasonable, what do you like and what do you not like about it?

I've been wanting to do a morale rule for a long time because I think they work so well in some wargames. But people hate the idea of their characters being penalized for morale (like that they lose control) but this way you lose nothing- it's just a small bonus.

But I think it could also help as a small incentive for players not to try to fight their way through every encounter. And it's a good way to distribute some 'bennies' which can be valuable to help keep you alive in a codex fight. There would have to be various modifiers of course including bonus to die roll if you are trapped and there is no way out.

G
Galloglaich

Postby Daeruin » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:32 am

I like that the "loser" or the person who fails only gets to spend their free dice on defensive or retreating type actions. If the rules encourage strategic thinking before a fight, that's good, too. I'm not sure what's holding me back exactly. Maybe it just feels a little too generic? I don't know. Maybe I need to see more detail or something.
My blog: fantasy fiction, gaming, and music
Daeruin

Postby Galloglaich » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:43 am

yeah it's not really a developed idea, more like a seed of one. I'll flesh it out a bit more when I have the time.

That seems like a mirage though sometimes... "when I have the time" how I wish for a pocket dimension where time passes at 1/10th the real world rate and a little log cabin waits for me by a lake with a word processor that gets internet for research but no social media or games. I'd finally be caught up....

G
Galloglaich

Return to Abbey Pub