Some sick shit from Cold Steel

The lower Decatur Street of RpG's, anything goes at the Abbey...

Some sick shit from Cold Steel

Postby Arkon » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:54 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0ledM32E4A
They are now using ballistic dummies in their test cutting videos. And zombie pictures.

By the way, I'm so fucking annoyed by all these zombie fans. Recently saw there seems to be a trend of blade channels turning to zombie apocalypse to gain more popularity :/ .
...
Arkon
 
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:09 am

Re: Some sick shit from Cold Steel

Postby Galloglaich » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:12 pm

yeah ... sick shit.

As usual with their videos, I'm conflicted. The first thing I notice is the scary mutiliation and mayhem which is probably a lot like what real medieval combat looked like (not the Hollywood Braveheart variety) and that is interesting and pretty sick and disturbing. It matches what you see in the forensic evidence (skulls and bones and etc. from the archeological record)

The second thing I notice, as always with Cold Steel videos, is that these guys are terrible cutters. Especially the big fat guy who I think is the owner of Cold Steel or some executive in it, he looks like such a dick, he has this pissed off look on his face.

Third thing which I notice and comes into my mind is what utter crap cold steels swords etc. are. I've owned a few. They are supposed to be clunky but strongly made, the truth is that they are just garbage. Not only are they way too heavy, ill-balanced, out of proportion etc., but they are also very fragile. I had the edge of a cold steel grossmesser (ridiculously overweight at like 5 lbs) turn on me cutting a wooden board, where my Albion constable (not even 3 lbs) hacked right through with no problem.

Fourth - there is something just disturbing about how serious these guys are doing this. You should either really be calm and neutral (professional) or smiling laughing and giggling like you usually do in real life when you are doing cutting days. Something about doing this while scowling and pulling faces like you are some kind of tough guy is just embarrassing.

But the sequence starting at around 3:40 - 3:50 is pretty cool

Anyway, it does give you pause. Something to think about when fencing. I'd love to see somebody use those same kind of "Deadliest Warrior" forensic gell skeleton things using good swords with good technique, somebody who knows what they are doing.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4ucqArlmpk

I think that would be a lot more interesting.

G
Galloglaich
 
Posts: 1976
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:30 pm

Re: Some sick shit from Cold Steel

Postby Arkon » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:40 pm

Galloglaich wrote:yeah ... sick shit.

As usual with their videos, I'm conflicted. The first thing I notice is the scary mutiliation and mayhem which is probably a lot like what real medieval combat looked like (not the Hollywood Braveheart variety) and that is interesting and pretty sick and disturbing. It matches what you see in the forensic evidence (skulls and bones and etc. from the archeological record)

The second thing I notice, as always with Cold Steel videos, is that these guys are terrible cutters. Especially the big fat guy who I think is the owner of Cold Steel or some executive in it, he looks like such a dick, he has this pissed off look on his face.

Third thing which I notice and comes into my mind is what utter crap cold steels swords etc. are. I've owned a few. They are supposed to be clunky but strongly made, the truth is that they are just garbage. Not only are they way too heavy, ill-balanced, out of proportion etc., but they are also very fragile. I had the edge of a cold steel grossmesser (ridiculously overweight at like 5 lbs) turn on me cutting a wooden board, where my Albion constable (not even 3 lbs) hacked right through with no problem.

Oh. I guess the mutilation and mayhem would be even worse with correct weapons and technique?

Galloglaich wrote:Fourth - there is something just disturbing about how serious these guys are doing this. You should either really be calm and neutral (professional) or smiling laughing and giggling like you usually do in real life when you are doing cutting days. Something about doing this while scowling and pulling faces like you are some kind of tough guy is just embarrassing.

It's because they are a different kind of a company than most of sword companies. They are unapologetically tacticool, that is their blades are meant to be killing tools. Their intended audience are people who expect to use a blade in self-defence. I think it's a South African thing.
...
Arkon
 
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:09 am

Re: Some sick shit from Cold Steel

Postby Thaeris » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:00 pm

Kind of wish I would have taken a look at the video when it came out - now it's blocked!

Arkon wrote:It's because they are a different kind of a company than most of sword companies. They are unapologetically tacticool, that is their blades are meant to be killing tools. Their intended audience are people who expect to use a blade in self-defence. I think it's a South African thing.


Ignorance inbound (I've never actually owned a Cold Steel product), but I'm not sure I should be impressed with the statement of "meant to be killing tools." In fact, I think finding a good modern (as in new production) edged weapon is kind of a feat, and I've only handled a few I was really happy with. Adding to that, even when I was happy, I don't think I was truly satisfied. I will counter, therefore, that Cold Steel markets its products to people who want to believe they could use those weapons if they had to. I think people who expect to seriously use a weapon and are willing to pay for that weapon and look to different companies...

...Alright, perhaps not quite true. I've heard Cold Steel has some decent knives, but as far as reproduction arms goes, I'll stand by my statements completely.
Thaeris
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:20 am

Re: Some sick shit from Cold Steel

Postby Galloglaich » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:53 pm

Totally agree. I've bought 3 or 4 replica swords from Cold Steel, plus some machetes etc. from them, as well as a couple of their training weapons (plastic / rubber longsword and a dagger). I've also handled more of all of their stuff at various HEMA events. All were total shite.

Some people say they make good knives but everything I've handled of theirs sucked ass. Their only advantage is inexpensiveness. Every one I got from them I ended up giving away because I just didn't want it around cluttering up my life. Most of them quickly bent or broke under cutting.



Replicas in general on the other hand are getting better and better. I got a Regenyei longsword the other day, for sparring, which would almost make a great sharp. Balance etc. was amazing, more like a real antique than my much more expensive Albion (which I also like a lot.)

Albions are really good, but most of the ones I have handled feel a bit dead in your hands especially compared to the incredible feeling of a real antique. I have heard that is not the case for some of their top of the line Peter Johnsson but those are way out of my price range. I think some of the East / Central European smiths are the best option at this point but Albion is a close second, their swords definitely cut very well and tend to be tough. My little Albion constable cuts like a laser and has taken no sets, dings or dents in heavy use, I've had it for ten years now.

I have been lucky enough to handle a few antiques while doing a lecture at the Higgins Armoury, as well as some in a (sadly now defunct) amazing antiqe shop here in New Orleans. All of them were amazing to hold, they felt like extensions of your arm, like you literally have a 7 foot sharp arm instead of holding something. Not so much feather light as just part of you. Hard to explain.

but replicas in general are getting better and better and even some of the cheaper ones like Windlass etc. are really not bad.

G
Galloglaich
 
Posts: 1976
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:30 pm

Re: Some sick shit from Cold Steel

Postby Arkon » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:11 pm

Thaeris wrote:
Arkon wrote:It's because they are a different kind of a company than most of sword companies. They are unapologetically tacticool, that is their blades are meant to be killing tools. Their intended audience are people who expect to use a blade in self-defence. I think it's a South African thing.


Ignorance inbound (I've never actually owned a Cold Steel product), but I'm not sure I should be impressed with the statement of "meant to be killing tools." In fact, I think finding a good modern (as in new production) edged weapon is kind of a feat, and I've only handled a few I was really happy with. Adding to that, even when I was happy, I don't think I was truly satisfied. I will counter, therefore, that Cold Steel markets its products to people who want to believe they could use those weapons if they had to. I think people who expect to seriously use a weapon and are willing to pay for that weapon and look to different companies...

Well, I mean that's why they look so aggressive on videos. South Africa is a very violent country. Homicide rate in South Africa is 8,4 times higher than in USA. They also have pretty strict gun laws, so a spear or a machete or other large blade sounds like a reasonable thing to own.
Wait, they are from California. Apparently they just have a factory in South Africa O_o . And from what I've read online the quality of their blades has dropped since they moved production there.
They still market themselves as law enforcement/self-defense weapons.

Not everyone who needs a weapon can pay huge amount of money for it. Though I agree it gets ridiculous with replicas.
...
Arkon
 
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:09 am

Re: Some sick shit from Cold Steel

Postby Galloglaich » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:58 pm

I agree about the expense of a good replica, it seems like a lot of sword collectors online have an infinity of money to an extent which I find baffling. I own one expensive ($600) sharp sword which I only was able to afford ten years ago because of an insurance settlement after my house was destroyed in a storm. I have also admittedly spent a small fortune on sparring weapons, feders etc., for HEMA but you really need those for the sport, I liken it to investing in a bicycle if you are a cyclist.

I personally think Windlass, out of India, makes some decent replicas, I had one of theirs before which was very cheap and it was a little bit too wobbly but it cut very well. This is the one:

https://myarmoury.com/review_ws_15cls.html

And there is also this website:
http://www.sword-buyers-guide.com/

which has pretty good reviews of lower-end replicas (in the $50-$300 price range for example) specifically as a kind of counterpoint to the more elite Myarmoury web page which seems to cater to collectors who live in mansions (or who would live in mansions if they didn't spend every nickel they had on swords!) and seems to expect people to spend $3000 on a replica sword.



Personally for me, weapons have a dual purpose for protection. I have warded off somebody from doing me harm with a machete I keep in my car before in fairly recent memory, and further back in the past in many cases with a variety of things. I own firearms now, but I still count on my other blades and my old trusty axe-handle "Dave" when trouble looms. I don't really like messing with guns too much because it's too final, it depends on the situation though obviously.

Come to think of it I also have a Cold Steel walking stick which is pretty good (after I did a repair to keep the handle from coming off) and I use it as part of a Mardi Gras or Halloween costume so I have something for self defense if necessary.

So I guess there is a Cold Steel weapon that I like after all :o .

How is the crime rate in Poland? Like South Africa? California? Or more like Germany or France?

G
Last edited by Galloglaich on Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Galloglaich
 
Posts: 1976
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:30 pm

Re: Some sick shit from Cold Steel

Postby Galloglaich » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:11 pm

You can also do a lot with a $10- $15 machete, we've played a lot with those rehilting etc.
Galloglaich
 
Posts: 1976
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:30 pm

Re: Some sick shit from Cold Steel

Postby Thaeris » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:55 pm

I have to agree with the Windlass assessment. You do, as they say, get what you pay for, but you also get a lot of bang for your buck. The Windlass qama is a great little sword which runs for $40-50 USD, and is useful for many applications.

As per machetes, a Fiskars machete typically costs under $20 USD at Home Depot, comes with a good edge, and is heat-treated carbon steel. Blade length is about 22" if memory serves me correctly. The only thing it lacks is a scabbard, which is not expensive as far as after-market items go. Beware of course of the multitude of cheap stainless steel machetes which mostly look cool, but have terrible handle ergonomics and poor initial grinds.

So yes, you do not need to spend much to get an edged weapon which is either acceptable or can be made to be acceptable. The caveat of course comes from the "made to be acceptable" part - any work lacking in the weapon "as-is" is work you will need to do to get it to where it needs to be. The latter also requires the end user to invest in the time and materials to get the weapon into working order as well. I spent days with a diamond steel and softstone to put an edge on that qama, for being both cheap and untrusting of Atlanta Cutlery's sharpening service.
Thaeris
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:20 am

Re: Some sick shit from Cold Steel

Postby Galloglaich » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:02 am

Good to know about that qama I might get one, it's basically a gladius, can be handy
Galloglaich
 
Posts: 1976
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:30 pm

Next

Return to Abbey Pub

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron