Finally, some realism in media...

The lower Decatur Street of RpG's, anything goes at the Abbey...

Finally, some realism in media...

Postby Arkon » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:30 am

Arkon

Re: Finally, some realism in media...

Postby Galloglaich » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:31 pm

Lol

I have heard that Gotz von Berlichingen is a major hero / character in Anime fantasy films, I never could figure out which ones, I wondered if he was a realistically portrayed character.

it makes sense that people in Japan are into medieval European history as Europeans and americans are fascinated by Samurai. It's quite ironic that figures like "Gotz" are better known in Japan than in the US.
Galloglaich

Postby Galloglaich » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:32 pm

By the way, what do you think of "Kingdom Come, Deliverance"
Galloglaich

Postby Arkon » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:35 am

Galloglaich wrote:Lol

I have heard that Gotz von Berlichingen is a major hero / character in Anime fantasy films, I never could figure out which ones, I wondered if he was a realistically portrayed character.

it makes sense that people in Japan are into medieval European history as Europeans and americans are fascinated by Samurai. It's quite ironic that figures like "Gotz" are better known in Japan than in the US.

Maybe some Japanese simply put greater care to realism when making works set in historical settings... Also, AFAIK manga artists are taught to use RL reference, so maybe learning as much as its possible about medieval history and martial arts is a natural thing.

Galloglaich wrote:By the way, what do you think of "Kingdom Come, Deliverance"

I don't know. What do you think about its combat?
Arkon

Postby codex » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:43 pm

Arkon wrote:
Galloglaich wrote:Lol

Maybe some Japanese simply put greater care to realism when making works set in historical settings... Also, AFAIK manga artists are taught to use RL reference, so maybe learning as much as its possible about medieval history and martial arts is a natural thing.

Maybe it's also easier to take seriously the culture of a foreign country than your own for some odd reason. Certainly in the US Asian Martial arts are fully embraced by millions and taken seriously, while HEMA is still barely known (though growing).

Galloglaich wrote:By the way, what do you think of "Kingdom Come, Deliverance"

I don't know. What do you think about its combat?

I haven't tried it. I contributed to their kickstarter a couple of times but I have really only seen the teaser / trailers they made. It looked kind of cool in the video. Have you tried it?

I hope it's good, I want it to succeed. I like mount and blade even though it's a little limited. I hope this one will be better than that, if it is, I'd consider it a success.

G
codex
Site Admin

Return to Abbey Pub