Playtest examples

Some sample combats using the Codex rules

Playtest examples

Postby Galloglaich » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:34 pm

Playtest posted online I think by our friend Lukas

http://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthread.p ... ost5438562

Maximilian is a 5th level fighter with a BAB of +5 and a martial pool of 4 dice, being attacked by a 4th level rogue with a BAB of +3 (and therefore a martial pool of 3) wielding a quarterstaff. The rogue wins the initiative roll.

Trying to take advantage of his quarterstaff's higher reach to hit and his sneak attack, the rogue rolls 2 martial pool dice, rolling a 7 and a 14. He keeps the 14, and adds his strength bonus, BAB, and the quarterstaff's reach to hit bonus to score a damaging hit.

Maximilian, still reeling from the hit he took, uses one martial pool die to change from onset range to melee range and makes two individual attacks with two of his other dice. The rogue uses his last die that round for an active defense roll, and blocks the first attack. Maximilian's second attack hits for damage.

At the start of the second round, the quarterstaff now uses its speed bonus for attacks, which is lower than its reach bonus (reflecting the actual handling characteristics of a quarterstaff). Also, it's a reach weapon, and the fighter is right next to the thief. In a desperate attempt to finish off the fight, the thief spends all his martial pool dice, rolling a 2, 3, and 11. As last time, he keeps the highest and adds his bonuses to it. However, Maximilian has used his one last martial pool for an active defense roll, and rolls high enough to avoid the attack.

Maximilian's martial pool gets replenished at the start of his turn, so he has 4 dice again. The thief has no dice left (and instead uses his regular AC for defense). Maximilian rolls two of his dice as separate attacks, saving the other two for defense if needed. After the second hit lands, the rogue falls dead and Maximilian goes about his merry way.

I like this a lot. One question and one comment. How come the rogue has no dice yet? Wouldn't his own pool also be replenished at that point (at the start of the new round)? I guess that is something I hadn't considered.

One of the guys asked about why use multiple dice, one other reason of course is that it increases the odds of a critical hit while lowering the odds of a fumble; and if you are using dynamic criticals, your damage multiplier will be much higher.

This is particularly important when there is armor. If you make a single hit that does 20 points of damage, and your enemy has armor with DR 6, you did 14 points of damage. If you make four hits that do 5 points of damage each and your enemy has armor with DR 6, you did zero damage.

This is a cool example though and underscores my need to do some live playtesting and record it. Soon!

Galloglaich
Galloglaich

Re: Playtest examples

Postby Daeruin » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:48 pm

Very cool. One mistake I noticed is that the fighter shouldn't have needed to spend a die to move from onset to melee, since the second attack of a round is automatically at melee.
My blog: fantasy fiction, gaming, and music
Daeruin

Return to Codex playtest examples