Interesting Damage system

Interesting Damage system

Postby Lycanthropos » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:34 am

Hi everybody

I met by accident with True20 rules. Has a very interesting damage accounting system.
First, no more will be character inmune to a sword reaching level 4+.
Second, even a level 20 character can be killed by a dagger stuck. In SRD, the only way to kill a level 20 character with a dagger is a unsusccessfull Fortitude Saving T. after a coup de grace.
Third, no more hit points accounting system. Either you are well, or bruised, or hurt, or incapacitated, or dying...
Fourth, Damage now impacts the way you are fighting. Once you are hurt, you get some malus and there are things that become impossible. Specially if you use the True20 Warrior Sourcebook.

Could we incorporate some of the reality fighting ideas into Codex Martialis?
- Don't worry! They are just two kobolds.
(Last words of a 10 years veteran role player first time using Codex Martialis)
Lycanthropos

Re: Interesting Damage system

Postby Galloglaich » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:01 am

As you probably know if you have read any of my rants on the subject, I've been real cautious about introducing wound-tracking of any kind, because I think it tends to add too much complexity for too little value (we deal with the invulnerable player syndrome in D20 by putting a hit point ceiling of 3 x Con score) but I'd like to find out more about how True 20 pulls this off. It would be nice to see how they do it, if we could get some good ideas from it... the idea of making wound effects that impact how you fight is kind of tempting.

At the very least I'd like to come up with a way to translate Codex into True20 for people who use that system.

So how do you get a wound in True20? Do weapons do damage like in DnD or is there some other mechanism?

G
Galloglaich

Postby Brother_Eduard » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:20 am

I don't know if anyone is still interested in hearing about this but I'm intrigued by looking at how I think the Codex and True20 can be integrated. The damage in True20 is done not by HP damage but by making an active save based on the level of damage given. FREX a sword that hits does 3 damage plus the STR bonus of the character wielding it Lets say plus 3(So a total of 6). The save difficulty to avoid taking damage is 15 plus the damage of the weapon plus STR mod...In this CASE 21. The character saving then makes his save with a d20 adding his mods to the save. If he passes, then he takes no damage. If he fails, there is a hierarchy of how much damage is received based on how much the save is failed by. The varying states are a minor wound causing future saves against damage to be made with a minus (they are cumulative by the way) all the way to instant death. The minuses can really add up allowing for many minor wounds to lead to a deadly one. A character also has a very few conviction points which he may spend to reroll his save thereby mitigating poor rolls. These may be adjusted by the GM before the campaign starts to change the level of realism in the campaign from gritty to high cinema. Hope this gives some idea of how the damage is applied in True 20. Brother_Eduard
Brother_Eduard

Postby Galloglaich » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:26 am

Thanks brother, very interesting. I'd like to hear how this works out in play with the Codex if you try it.

G.
Galloglaich

Postby drkguy3107 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:28 pm

Or you could lower everyones hp fighters only gain 3 per level, everyone else gets 2 or 1, makes combat more deadly for most people.
http://www.myarmoury.com ~ The most enlightening community on the web.
drkguy3107

Return to True20