Game of Thrones classes

Game of Thrones classes

Postby drkguy3107 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:24 am

Hey G. I am pretty sure that the classes and feats at open gaming content.

pg 5 for Game of Thrones rpg made by Guardians of Order 2005

"The following is designated as product Identity, in accordance with section 1(e) of the Open Game License, Version 1.0a: all GUARDIANS OF ORDER names, logos, identifying marks, and trade dress; all character and place names, all examples, all artwork, symbols, designs, depictions, illustrations, likenesses, poses, symbols, and graphic design, all stories, storylines, plots, thematic elements, and dialogue; pages 1-5; Chapter 1; Chapter 13; pages 290-314; Chapter 15; pages 391-439; pages 472-482; pages 486-490; Appendix.

Designation Of Open Game Content

Subject to the Product Identity designations above, the remainder of this publication is designated as Open Game Content."
http://www.myarmoury.com ~ The most enlightening community on the web.
drkguy3107

Re: Game of Thrones classes

Postby Galloglaich » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:22 am

That statement sounds to me like a whole bunch of that document is "product identity" which means it can't be used. I'd be nervous to use anything in that.

G.
Galloglaich

Postby Daeruin » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:47 am

Didn't Guardians of the Order go bankrupt? I suppose they can still claim intellectual property unless they are completely dissolved. But even so, what are the chances they'd try to come after you? Or maybe all the rights to that book are owned by Mr. Martin now. Hmmm.
My blog: fantasy fiction, gaming, and music
Daeruin

Postby Ioannes » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:01 pm

Galloglaich wrote:That statement sounds to me like a whole bunch of that document is "product identity" which means it can't be used. I'd be nervous to use anything in that.

G.

Sounds to me like the fluff is theirs, the rules are OGL. Just my interpretation, I'd have to look at the book to be sure.
Ioannes

Postby Galloglaich » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:42 pm

Daeruin wrote:Didn't Guardians of the Order go bankrupt? I suppose they can still claim intellectual property unless they are completely dissolved. But even so, what are the chances they'd try to come after you? Or maybe all the rights to that book are owned by Mr. Martin now. Hmmm.

If I violate any of the rules of the OGL license, technically WOTC can order me to pulp any hard copies and remove my PDFs from sale. Not that I think they would do that but I don't want to take the risk, esp. since they apparently aren't very happy about the lingering 3.X incarnations of their game or the OGL in general.

Basically, if the classes in question are on pages which are not mentioned in that statement they might be ok, but I think ultimately I'm going to make up some new 'civilian' classes for Codex Baltic, based on the existing NPC classes but enhanced a little bit. So far I'm thinking of Burgher, Artisan, Woodsman, Peasant, Sailor and Militia. Militia would be a class that other civilian classes would take as multiclass which would give them some competency as Fighters, but not quite as good as an actual Fighter level (not as many Hit Points or as good of saving throws for example)

But the other heretical thing I'm going to do is that these 'civilian' classes are going to be on a different XP / Level track, cheaper, than the core SRD classes.

I was also thinking of equivalent to Militia for Aristocrats and Burghers who dabble in the tournament circuit. A lot of wealthy men did that during this period, no real war experience but quite a bit of (quite dangerous) tournament experience during which they would learn things like fighting on horseback, using different types of weapons and etc.

And finally, I need to make some sort of non-magical priest class and a sort of a generic 'scientist' class, which will be based off of the Expert NPC class, which should include Alchemists, Architechts, Engineers, Artists, Mathemeticians and other similar intellectuals, and should probably require University attendence (which requires money)

G.
Galloglaich

Postby Daeruin » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:32 pm

I have the book right here... the chapter on classes is chapter 6 and isn't included in those page numbers. However, most of the classes are pretty simple variants on standard d20 classes, minus the magic. Godsworn = Cleric, Hunter = Ranger, Knave = Rogue, Man-at-Arms = Fighter, Raider = Barbarian. The Artisan, Maester, and Noble are fairly unique, but the Noble class is very similar to the Noble class in my Wheel of Time d20 book. Due to the lack of magic, most of the special class abilities are different. Anyway, I didn't mean to get this detailed. The point is, most of the classes are generic enough that they won't necessarily be that helpful, and the others are too setting-specific.
My blog: fantasy fiction, gaming, and music
Daeruin

Postby Galloglaich » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:04 pm

Well, it's the same basic idea, I'll probably see if I can find a copy of that to d/l to give me some insight into making some of my own basic variant classes, I don't want to get too exotic either.

I think i'll call the pseudo alchemist / engineer classs a "scholar"

G.
Galloglaich

Postby Galloglaich » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:06 pm

I was also thinking of equivalent to Militia for Aristocrats and Burghers who dabble in the tournament circuit. A lot of wealthy men did that during this period, no real war experience but quite a bit of (quite dangerous) tournament experience during which they would learn things like fighting on horseback, using different types of weapons and etc.

Can anyone think of a good name for this class?

G.
Galloglaich

Postby drkguy3107 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:44 pm

Personally I love the artisan class, its by far my favorite non-traditional class. But my games revolve around a lot of intrigue. To me rather than swords and magic my games are more swords and secrets. The artisan class, is pretty much a specialized secret/gossip class and it plays an extremely important role, since the usual skill monkey (thief) has little skill for this kind of play, since, while they can gather secrets they don't have the social standing to actually do anything or have enough legitamacy to actually take an advantage of what may transpire.

Also since I have few monsters the ranger class is rather lackluster (i'm also not a huge fan of the two weapon fighting for them since that is more of an urban renaissance style of fighting rather than a woodsman.) So the hunter class has a lot more stealth and terrain dependent bonus's.

Noble class isn't terribly unique but incredibly important in my opinion for any kind of historical game since the nobility are so separate.

I also needed the godsworn as a starting point since the cleric class is out do to less magic. The idea of buffs that are based on psychology coupled with intrigue abilities and an international support network makes them a great class.

as for the tournament going burgher? I don't know, man-at-arms? Squire? Tailgater? :D

Ya the only copyright material is the setting fluff.
http://www.myarmoury.com ~ The most enlightening community on the web.
drkguy3107

Return to Codex and Game of Thrones