Martial Pool FAQ

The place to discuss the new d20 dice pool mechanics.

Martial Pool FAQ

Postby Galloglaich » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:22 am

Achan hiArusa wrote:Also, my friend was wondering how you accomodate Swift, Free, and Immediate actions with the martial pool.

The general rule of thumb we have used for actions has been that any action which can draw an attack of opportunity requires spending an MP. So many Free actions would cost no MP. For move-equivalent actions I may charge two MP, depending what they are doing or how far they are moving (i.e. at the DMs discretion).

I don't use swift actions or immediate actions but from the definition I would say those would cost one MP.
Galloglaich

Re: Martial Pool FAQ

Postby Galloglaich » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:23 am

So a swift spell would cost 1 MP with a limit of 1 swift spell a round?

As I said, I haven't used swift actions in my campaign, but if I understand it based on this definition:

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Swift_Actions

I would say yes, that sounds right. Do you see any issue with that?

G.
Last edited by Galloglaich on Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Galloglaich

Re: Martial Pool FAQ

Postby Galloglaich » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:24 am

hollowleg wrote:I'm not sure a swift action would require a die... they're supposed to be pretty good, and really fast (like a free action, but with a limit of 1/round). Sort of like a 4e minor action. And honestly, how many uses for swift actions are there? Quickened spells (which have the cost built in), some specific swift action spells (which aren't that great), and some ninja powers (similarly weak). I'd just keep the 1/round limit. Might add some feats that let fighter-types use swift actions, too, ifwhen I use this system (though it'd be useful most anywhere).

Basically if it drew an AoO I would cost a die, but I would leave it up to the DM's discretion. I know thats kind of against the philosophy of 3.X DnD but I'm kind of old school

G.
Galloglaich

Return to The Martial Pool