Snap shot

The place to discuss the new d20 dice pool mechanics.

Re: Snap shot

Postby zarlor » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:42 pm

It think it's better with the -2. Let's face it, we've had our share of thugs trying that exact thing in crowded areas doing nothing but hitting everything other than the target. Seems to me without a little bit of training, at least, trying to do a snap shot should be doable, but also a lesson in frustration, IMHO.
Lenny Zimmermann

"A soldier uses arms merely with skill, whereas a knight uses them with virtuous intention." - Pomponio Torelli, 1596.

- Systeme D'armes, New Orleans, Louisiana
http://www.sdanola.com
zarlor

Postby Ioannes » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:45 pm

Galloglaich wrote:I like it... I'd take the -2 off the first MF as well though.

What does everybody else think?

G.

I think if you're taking the -2 off, you should also make it a little deeper in the tree, say requiring Weapon Focus with the weapon?
Ioannes

Postby Galloglaich » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:47 pm

yeah that works for me. Speaking of which when are you going to make me a feat tree for the SRD like you did for Pathfinder?

G.
Galloglaich

Postby drkguy3107 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:17 pm

To be honest I don't really like the mass of -2 here and there's. For me adding that much complication requires me to keep a cheat sheet to run a battle (which I hate) so the more combat options the worse it is. If they are MF's, then it means the player has it written down on their sheet and they have to memorize it so it isn't an issue. For me, I would leave out the option as a combat option and just include the mf feat. So for me I would make it an impossible to do without MF, with MF can be done (the MF assumes you've done necessary training.) and with advanced MF gives bonus die for those situations.
http://www.myarmoury.com ~ The most enlightening community on the web.
drkguy3107

Postby Galloglaich » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:44 pm

You got a point too, I hate arithmetic in the game and try not to use it too much. I usually use the free dice instead whenever possible because I think it's easier to remember and as you say, most of them are on MF on the players character sheet.

That said a few bonuses here and there aren't too much of a problem, familarity with the system will lead you to memorize at least a few things though they can add up.

We already have one chart which is kind of necessary, in the cheat sheet, which is the range chart. So maybe just leaving off the To Hit bonus for close range is the best approach since you have to know that anyway to use missile weapons.

(... or who knows, maybe I need to eliminate the range category bonues altogether and replace them with more free dice...? Hmmmmmm......)

G.
Galloglaich

Previous

Return to The Martial Pool