Lifepath system preview

Subforum related to the new Lifepath Character Generation system for Codex Martialis

Re: Lifepath system preview

Postby Galloglaich » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:33 pm

Too complicated?

G
Galloglaich

Postby drkguy3107 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:59 pm

Personally, I just don't see the need for it, in my game this stuff, though not as well fleshed out, is already gone over by players due to necessity, as it decides income, class, and social status.
http://www.myarmoury.com ~ The most enlightening community on the web.
drkguy3107

Postby Galloglaich » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:32 pm

How do you generate characters?

G
Galloglaich

Postby Galloglaich » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:16 pm

Well, just for clarity, currently there really is no way for most people to efficiently create characters for the Codex. What I've had to do in the past is create SRD characters and then go back and add the Codex Martial Feats and make the other adjustments. If you are making a character more than 1st or 2nd level (which you often have to do) it can get pretty tedious.

This character generation module also includes a much simpler option, namely some new core classes (burgher, peasant, student, noble, mercenary) for those who want to generate Codex characters without straying so far from the SRD. This lifepath thing will make rather different (less 'balanced' and less definable in any 'class') characters from standard SRD, but I think it's fun and I like the kind of characters which come out of it.

Anyway so here is the second part.

Each 'term' after you get into (or back into) your vocation, you roll for your money, write down your skills, roll for feats if any, and roll for injuries and legal trouble, then you are left with whatever amount of leisure points you have left, which can be spent on Avocations. These are basically how you spend your free time, and that can vary much more in terms of risk and reward than your day job typically does.

Avocations

So the Avocation table is another big, complex table with the following columns:

Avocation \Entry (Financial) Cost \Leisure Point Cost \Skill Types \Feat Type s \ Social \Wage Scale \XP \Injury Roll\ Trouble Roll

...and the following options (so far) for burghers:

Militia – Infantry*
Militia – Marksmen*
Militia – Cavalry*
Carnival Sodality
Religious Sodality
St Sebastian’s Guild
St Michael’s Guild
St George’s Guild
St Barbara’s Guild
St Mark’s Guild
St Vitus Guild
Religious Pilgrimage
Konstafler Society
Merchant Caravan
Merchant Voyage
Privateering Voyage
Military Raid
Punitive Expedition
Mercenary Tour
Hooliganism
Faction Fighting
Holy Vehm**
Gymnasium
Hunting
Humanist Club
Studia Humanitatis
Ars Dictaminis
Alchemy
Music Club

These vary much more widely than the Vocations in terms of risks and rewards. For example, if you go on a raid or a Punitive expedition, you have a high risk of being injured, but you also gain a lot of military experience and have a chance of getting a lot of loot. More conservative options might include the Gymnasium, which will improve your physical fitness and strength; or a Carnival Sodality which boosts your social status for relatively little risk. Picking fighting guilds like St. Michaels (halberds), St. Sebastians (bows), St. Barbaras (guns) etc. will allow you to specialize your character militarily.

And these are all historical.

G
Galloglaich

Postby drkguy3107 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:58 pm

So is this for NPC's?
http://www.myarmoury.com ~ The most enlightening community on the web.
drkguy3107

Postby Galloglaich » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:07 pm

I think mainly for PC's, but also for important NPC's. I've found it useful when making key characters for my campaigns. Generally for NPC's you would probably use the simpler system which is also in this book (Class based but with the Codex Martial Feats and so on built-in).

You never did answer, how do you generate PC's for your campaigns?

EDIT: One other thing I should add for clarity, is that the principle I'm shooting for in the Codex is a generaly flattening out the character progression and development. There should be a lot of changes happening to your character over time (during play) but not so dramatic as in the SRD climb from nobody to superhero. One of the main factors here is in the hit point ceiling. No more invulnerable fighters with 200 hit points - you max out around 30 or 40 hit points and people can do 4 or 5 die attacks with their weapons, things can get 'dicey' no matter what (pun intended). Second factor is magic, there is magic in my rules at least (you are under no obligation to use any if you want to stick to a strictly historical campaign) but it is not super power comic book hero magic. There are no meteor swarms, there is no teleport. This flattens out level progression on the high-end. You still accumulate a lot more skills, a guy with 30 hit points and 15 martial feats is a lot more dangerous than a guy with 30 hit points and 4 martial feats. But not to the extent of summoning dragons.

On the low-end, conversely, I don't really like the defenseless, skill-less 1st level player character with no fighting ability and no skills. So my system is designed to create player characters who might be anywhere from 2-5th level at the start. (higher level would generally mean older, on the theory that level progression is slower in the character generation system than it is when actively playing the game)

So the lifepath character generation is intended to make characters which are between levels 2-5, either players or NPC's. The system is complex in some respects but it's pretty easy to use, you just roll the dice about ten times and write a few things down, and you have a character.

G
Galloglaich

Postby Galloglaich » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:12 pm

I can see this is going to be a difficult slog. But then, so was the original Codex.

G
Galloglaich

Postby Arkon » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:43 pm

Galloglaich wrote:I think mainly for PC's, but also for important NPC's. I've found it useful when making key characters for my campaigns. Generally for NPC's you would probably use the simpler system which is also in this book (Class based but with the Codex Martial Feats and so on built-in).

You never did answer, how do you generate PC's for your campaigns?

EDIT: One other thing I should add for clarity, is that the principle I'm shooting for in the Codex is a generaly flattening out the character progression and development. There should be a lot of changes happening to your character over time (during play) but not so dramatic as in the SRD climb from nobody to superhero. One of the main factors here is in the hit point ceiling. No more invulnerable fighters with 200 hit points - you max out around 30 or 40 hit points and people can do 4 or 5 die attacks with their weapons, things can get 'dicey' no matter what (pun intended). Second factor is magic, there is magic in my rules at least (you are under no obligation to use any if you want to stick to a strictly historical campaign) but it is not super power comic book hero magic. There are no meteor swarms, there is no teleport. This flattens out level progression on the high-end. You still accumulate a lot more skills, a guy with 30 hit points and 15 martial feats is a lot more dangerous than a guy with 30 hit points and 4 martial feats. But not to the extent of summoning dragons.

On the low-end, conversely, I don't really like the defenseless, skill-less 1st level player character with no fighting ability and no skills. So my system is designed to create player characters who might be anywhere from 2-5th level at the start. (higher level would generally mean older, on the theory that level progression is slower in the character generation system than it is when actively playing the game)

So the lifepath character generation is intended to make characters which are between levels 2-5, either players or NPC's. The system is complex in some respects but it's pretty easy to use, you just roll the dice about ten times and write a few things down, and you have a character.

G

I like this philosophy.
Arkon

Postby Galloglaich » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:13 pm

Glad somebody likes something about this!

G
Galloglaich

Postby Daeruin » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:02 am

I am liking it all so far. Lifepath character creation isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I love this kind of stuff. If I ever get my own homebrew system off the ground, it will have something like this for character creation (probably not as detailed though, since it won't be historically grounded).
My blog: fantasy fiction, gaming, and music
Daeruin

PreviousNext

Return to Lifepath Character Generation