Feat name translations

The place to discuss the new Martial Feats.

Feat name translations

Postby Daeruin » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:44 am

I think it's cool that the Codex Martial Feats use the traditional terms from the old training manuals in the native language. My BA is in linguistics, so the non-English names don't really pose too much trouble for me, and I kind of enjoy them.

However . . . my players are pretty much the opposite. Some of them can barely speak English. (And yes, these are born-and-bred Americans I'm talking about. What? You're not surprised?) So when we've got all these German, Italian, and Japanese words, they're totally lost. They can recognize the names when they're written down, but pronouncing them is a lost cause. As in completely hopeless. As in, they would rather just show me the piece of paper and point to it than even try to bend their damned American tongues into something not resembling English. And even if they did try, it wouldn't sound even remotely close to what it should sound like.

Is there any chance someone could provide some rough English translations of all the Martial Feats? Not only would this help my language-challenged players, it would help the feats seem more cohesive, like they belong more together. I'm also thinking about trying to make the MF names more flavorful, as well, to help them both fit in with the theme of the game and feel more attractive. For example, Graceful Rush is an awesome name.
My blog: fantasy fiction, gaming, and music
Daeruin

Re: Feat name translations

Postby Galloglaich » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:21 pm

A lot of them have english translations next to them, like "misterhau" is master cut, or "gioco stretto" is grips. Which one were you having trouble with in particular?

G.
Galloglaich

Postby Daeruin » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:25 pm

Actually there are a lot more translations than I thought. :) There are only four without a translation, and one is easy to guess:

Abzug (Exit)
Contra Tempo
Mezzo Tempo
Nukitsuke

I could make up something for the other three based on the descriptions, but I'm still curious about the actual translation.
My blog: fantasy fiction, gaming, and music
Daeruin

Postby Galloglaich » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:44 pm

Daeruin wrote:Actually there are a lot more translations than I thought. :) There are only four without a translation, and one is easy to guess:

Abzug (Exit)
Contra Tempo
Mezzo Tempo
Nukitsuke

I could make up something for the other three based on the descriptions, but I'm still curious about the actual translation.

Abzug - Disengagement
Contra Tempo - Counter time cut
Mezzo Tempo - Half Time cut
Nukitsuke - this is a hard one.... flowing block? Flowing - block / cut? Draw sword cut block cut?

G.

EDIT: Incidentally you are not the only one to have this issue, it came up a lot which is why I put in the other translations, I'll probably put these in too.... I'm so used to these words now I don't think of them as foreign any more, I forget how off-putting some of them were to me when I first heard them.
Galloglaich

Return to The Martial Feats