Dressage

The place to discuss the new Martial Feats.

Re: Dressage

Postby Daeruin » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:46 am

I like the idea of new classes, or at least modified classes. I have been intending to customize the classes as well. I would love to see your take on the specializations you mentioned.

I don't know if standard DnD has this, but in Pathfinder every class has a number of "archetypes" that modify the standard class template. They're different from prestige classes because they're not a separate class. They just modify an existing class. For example, I made a monk character recently using the Zen Archer archetype. It modified the basic monk template by allowing the use of arrows instead of unarmed strikes for the flurry of blows ability, changing the list of allowed bonus feats, and swapping out some of the usual monk abilities for a few cool archery tricks.

Some of the existing Fighter archetypes are archer, brawler, corsair, crossbowman, dragoon, gladiator, mobile fighter, phalanx soldier, polearm master, shielded fighter, tactician, two-handed fighter, and two-weapon warrior. I imagine some of these could be adapted to Codex Martialis without too much trouble, or you could create your own. The polearm master gets a special ability at level 2 called "pole fighting" that's essentially a half-staff ability (allows you to shorten the grip to use against adjacent targets) in place of the usual Bravery ability. At level 17, they replace Weapon Training with a new ability called Step Aside that lets them take a 5-foot step back whenever a creature moves adjacent to them.

However, if it's "feat bloat" that you're worried about, you might want to consider creating feat packages that people can choose on top of any other abilities they get. So everyone would get at least a few of the basic MFs needed for whatever they want to specialize in.
My blog: fantasy fiction, gaming, and music
Daeruin

Postby drkguy3107 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:27 am

That sounds just like 2e kits. But ya, as I said earlier, my approach is to allow multi-classing to run pretty freely, and to allow players to removes class bonus's in return for free feats. I have never had a problem with an inability to make some character concept. You want a throwing weapon grappler? Remove the heavy armor, shield proficency, and take some free point blank shot and rapid shot. Now you got feats left to spend on grappling or whatever else you want.
http://www.myarmoury.com ~ The most enlightening community on the web.
drkguy3107

Postby Galloglaich » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:49 pm

The more new innovations I see in Pathfinder the more I think they have been reading the Codex rules!

Luckily I have proof mine has been out longer than these new abilities or else they might accuse me of ripping them off....

Anyway, regarding characer generation, it's something I've been working on, and I've been kind of thinking of a two-track system, one which is more 'DnD esque' for the people who like more structure, and the other much more open ended (Based on a lifepath system) wich is much more open ended. The SRD has some default NPC classes like 'aristocrat', 'artisan', and 'peasant' ('commoner'?) which could stand to be fleshed out and beefed up a little, and then you could lay over some of these different fighter archetypes and equivalent for other things like priests or wizards (alchemists etc.). These could in turn also be converted to 'skill (and feat) packages' which could maybe be purchased at a 'group discount' or just serve as a guideline for characters generated using the more open system.

Would y'all be interested in discussing the character development scheme I've been developing if I start another thread for that?

More related to the OP, another thing I wanted to mention in this thread (if I haven't already), was the idea of the warhorse itself having some MP that it could 'lend' the rider, this might be more of an advantage of a really good horse. I was talking to Jake Norwood the other day about some game design ideas related to cavalry which I want to discuss further when I have a bit more time. There is a lot more than can be done here.

G
Galloglaich

Postby drkguy3107 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:02 pm

Lend the MP in what way? For a while I was thinking about allowing the horse to use it's mp to attack at the rider's discretion. Is this what you are talking about? The horse needs a more powerful kick by the way, it's a good way to end someone.
drkguy3107

Postby Galloglaich » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:25 am

No I mean for movement, a good warhorse may chase a little or evade a little on it's own merit.

G
Galloglaich

Postby Daeruin » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:03 pm

I'm not sure how much I'd be able to contribute to the discussion, but I would definitely be interested in seeing your character creation ideas.
My blog: fantasy fiction, gaming, and music
Daeruin

Postby drkguy3107 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:54 pm

That sounds fantastic. Especially for some short evades.
drkguy3107

Previous

Return to The Martial Feats