Hook Swords

The place to discuss the weapon stats provided in Codex Martialis.

Re: Hook Swords

Postby drkguy3107 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:33 pm

Ya, they were a lot of fun
http://www.myarmoury.com ~ The most enlightening community on the web.
drkguy3107

Postby Galloglaich » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:15 pm

Seems like the best defense against this tactic would perhaps be to use a feint or contra tempo or mezzo tempo to screw up the attack.

Or perhaps just pile on dice to a defense with something like distance fighting

What do you and your guys usually do against this?

G
Galloglaich

Postby drkguy3107 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:28 am

Not much cuz we only use it for gladiator fights. But if you don't get critical it's just 1-8, and then you have no dice and they tear you apart.
drkguy3107

Postby drkguy3107 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:18 pm

So I was rereading through this and was wondering how you use action points? I would really like to include them after player mutants and masterminds, and falling in love with the hero point system.

Also, I think we need someone who can do good probabilities actually work out the chance of a 20 on a 4 or 5 die roll. I find the 4 die bypass critical-hope-for-a-20 to be a little lame, in that it is used quite often, and frequently (though by no means always) gets a 20.
drkguy3107

Postby Galloglaich » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:45 pm

We did work up the numbers before, and it's on here in some of the earliest threads, some guy challenged the dice system pretty aggressively. I think I was able to prove it's validity though there are different approaches you can take, I used what is known as the 'brute force' method with some computer simulations.

What do you think is 'lame' about it, you mean as a strategy? I think it's kind of reckless if the other guy is ready and waiting for you, though not entirely unrealistic. With a 4-5 die attack and a 4-5 die defense you end up with both sides equally likely to mess the other up, though as you say, if the attacker doesn't succeed and the defender still has some dice he may be in big trouble.

In practice I usually see these types of attacks happen when one side outnumbers the other and the defender has lost some of their Martial Pool.

I'll start another thread about the 'action points' as we use them.

G
Galloglaich

Postby drkguy3107 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:17 am

It seems lame in that if an attacker launches a 4-5 die attack, and you defend with the same, then his 20 is auto kill (often), while yours is just successful defense. Then you are out of dice and repeat.
drkguy3107

Postby Galloglaich » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:28 pm

Well, I think I get your point that an automatic hit and an automatic large damage spread is very powerful - especially if combined with a bypass. And maybe that should be looked at (the latter part most of all).

But it may not be as 'lame' as it seems on the surface. Like many other things in the Codex, it depends on your Martial Feats. If you have, for example, Miesterhau-Countercut, your defense is also an attack, so if he rolls a 20 and so do you, you are likely to kill him. If you have Defanging the Snake you can disarm him and kill (or badly wound) him. So if your opponent has either of those MF, you are taking a big risk with that 4 die attack.

There are various other options to deal with that presented by the MF and other rules as well, I'll present some later.

G
Galloglaich

Previous

Return to The Weapons