Missile range and speed

The place to discuss the weapon stats provided in Codex Martialis.

Missile range and speed

Postby drkguy3107 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:06 pm

I have thought about this a while. The ranges given in the codex for bows and such, seem to be very much on the low side. Longbows seem to be about 300m, which would be 900 feet, rather than 550.

Also, the speeds of people (I know they come from SRD seem to be too high, as 120' (full run) in a round (6 seconds), meaning your average person can run a mile in 4.4 minutes. (120x10[to give the ground traveled in a minute]=1200, 5280/1200=4.4).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-minute_mile

While not impossible, this seems quite fast for the average speed of someone wearing normal clothes and carrying some weapons on them.

Thoughts?
http://www.myarmoury.com ~ The most enlightening community on the web.
drkguy3107

Re: Missile range and speed

Postby Galloglaich » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:21 pm

drkguy3107 wrote:I have thought about this a while. The ranges given in the codex for bows and such, seem to be very much on the low side. Longbows seem to be about 300m, which would be 900 feet, rather than 550.

The missile ranges are meant to be actual effective combat ranges. This is what I get from talking to people who shoot these bows and so on. I do get into this a little bit in there. It's also based on personal experience. So for example, they list the effective range of the M-16 as 550 meters. Prone, supported, with plenty of time to think about it, you can hit targets at that range, even up to 800 meters. And lots of guys at gun shows will tell you they an shoot rabbits at 500 meters all day lon, and get head shots at 800.

But realistically in combat situations, and from my personal experience having served as a medic and spent a lot of time at military firing ranges (where I often did duty, about twice a month while I was stationed in Germany) I observed that most people can't hit much past 300 meters. A human size target is very small at 300 meters, extremely so at 500. If you talk to combat veterans a lot of them will tell you the realistic effective range of an M-16 is about 300 meters, an Ak-47 about 200 or 250.

Bows are a bit different since they are used for area shots. But this is covered by a special rule you may have missed (All bows can fire up to double maximum range as indirect fire) See Weapons of the Ancient World II, page 70, (also a footnote on the missile wepaons tables) though it requires the Volley Fire MF.

Also, the speeds of people (I know they come from SRD seem to be too high, as 120' (full run) in a round (6 seconds), meaning your average person can run a mile in 4.4 minutes. (120x10[to give the ground traveled in a minute]=1200, 5280/1200=4.4).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-minute_mile

While not impossible, this seems quite fast for the average speed of someone wearing normal clothes and carrying some weapons on them.

Thoughts?

Here, you probably hae a point, I just borrowed this from the SRD, we all know in real life different people run at varying speeds, though this simply isn't modeled in DnD (or most RPG's) which I've always felt was somewhat problematic. Probably because most geeks didn't do sports and can't run! :P

I agree a 4.4 minute mile is probably a big exaggeration, though most people who are fit could probably run that fast for 100 meters or so. Probably the best way is to limit how long people can run at max speed?

G
Galloglaich

Postby drkguy3107 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:37 pm

I think the volley mf is new, since it wasn't in the rules I carried over to my game. Also I thought the double range had already been factored in, thus explaining the vastly higher range on bows.
http://www.myarmoury.com ~ The most enlightening community on the web.
drkguy3107

Postby Galloglaich » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:31 pm

I think Volley Fire has been around for a while, but you might want to download the latest version, which I think is 25.0003

Though I'm planning on doing another fairly substantial revision at the end of the year to accomodate / prepare for some of the new stuff I'm coming out with (magic and character generation)

G
Galloglaich

Return to The Weapons