***The Wolf Brush***

The place to discuss the weapon stats provided in Codex Martialis.

***The Wolf Brush***

Postby drkguy3107 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:22 pm

ONe of the weirdest weapons I have ever seen, I love this thing.

Used by the chinese to fend of Wako raiders (japanese/chinese pirates) the wolf brush consisted of a bamboo tree, with a spear on the end, and many little metal points affixed to its numerous branches. The weapon was used as part of a squad, and was used to keep an enemy at bay. Due to the number of branches it could be used to block and tangle up enemy weapons, and was meant to pester, annoy, and block an attacker while your allies stabbed them with spears. It must be remembered this whole system of combat was designed to improve peasants, and allow them to hold a line versus a numerically smaller but technically superior force.

My information comes from a pdf download from the website chineselongsword. Overall I don't recommend it, as the information it contains is scanty, and the translation is very bad. However it is interesting.
http://www.chineselongsword.com/

It discusses how the weapon is heavy and slow to use, and also cannot easily kill an opponent, but because of how many branches there are in between oneself and their enemy, it can strengthen one's morale. And if the wolf brushes are deployed at the front of the formation, then everyone will see them not running, thus the wolf brush allows a whole formation to stand when many would otherwise run.

The wolf brush must team up with a shield man to help block, and long spears on the flanks to kill, with tridents and polearms behind to assist. Also, if you add some hooks to the wolf brush, they can be used to drag down banners.

If the amount of branches on the wolf brush weren't enough, then they would tie other branches together with rattan, or use rattan to thicken them up, also if the shaft is too light, the other types of wood would be bound to it to make it heavier. The rear of the weapon had to be heavy, so as to allow the point to be more easily maneuvered. The amount of branches prevent an enemy from charging in at you, and the thickly layered branches would protect against spears, and due to the depth of the layers would protect against swords.
http://www.myarmoury.com ~ The most enlightening community on the web.
drkguy3107

Re: ***The Wolf Brush***

Postby drkguy3107 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:26 pm

Statistically, I made the wolf brush into a reach weapon with the following stats.

Wolf brush (TH) VL 7/-4/6 1-6 P/- -/- 6/25

The wolf brush provides 1/2 cover to the user and anyway behind the user against melee attacks, due to the number of branches. An opponent may not close to melee range with a wolf brush user if the wolf brush is maintain a point on him, as the spaces in between the user and the opponent is occupied.

Thoughts?
http://www.myarmoury.com ~ The most enlightening community on the web.
drkguy3107

Return to The Weapons