Reach for: Weapons of the Ancient World Part 1, Melee

The place to discuss the weapon stats provided in Codex Martialis.

Reach for: Weapons of the Ancient World Part 1, Melee

Postby davout1805 » Fri May 16, 2014 8:32 am

Hello,

I was hoping the Codex Martialis: Weapons of the Ancient World Part 1, Melee Weapons would have an effective Reach stat (as in distance as opposed to the Reach to hit bonus) or at least state the length of each weapon. But unfortunately not. Is this info for the weapons in the book available some where?

Thanks.
davout1805

Re: Reach for: Weapons of the Ancient World Part 1, Melee

Postby Galloglaich » Wed May 21, 2014 7:49 pm

The length of most of the weapons is stated in the text description of the weapons, for example it says longswords were 4 to 4 1/2 feet long, typically. The effective reach of the weapon isn't directly correlative to the length though since it varies a lot by the weapon type. Did you have a question about a specific weapon or weapons?

G
Galloglaich

Postby Galloglaich » Thu May 22, 2014 8:25 pm

The thing is - it's usually a range of lengths depending on the weapon. I could add a table with estimates of the typical ranges, but had never seen a need of it before. Let me know if you need it.

G
Galloglaich

Postby davout1805 » Sat May 24, 2014 1:11 am

Galloglaich wrote:I could add a table with estimates of the typical ranges, but had never seen a need of it before. Let me know if you need it.

G

If you get bored one day.

Thanks.
davout1805

Postby davout1805 » Sat May 24, 2014 2:30 am

Is the size of a weapon (T, S, M, ...) based primarily on length? If so then I can just use that.
davout1805

Postby Galloglaich » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:40 am

davout1805 wrote:Is the size of a weapon (T, S, M, ...) based primarily on length? If so then I can just use that.

Yes, I think it is, it should work up to the larger sizes, though it doesn't differentiate too much once you get over say 9 feet.

With the caveat that size can vary a lot for a given weapon, some more than others; a spear can be 3' long or 18' feet long. Some types of swords might only vary a few inches. Generally you can at least loosely put them into categories by size though - those with radically different sizes need somewhat different stats (sometimes suggested in the text).

I'll put length in for the next revision, hopefully some time after I get back in town this week.

G
Galloglaich

Return to The Weapons