Poll-Axe Fighting question

Frequently Asked Questions about the Codex

Poll-Axe Fighting question

Postby Lycanthropos » Sat May 02, 2009 11:05 pm

Hello,

I have just brought Codex Martialis and added its rules to my d20 games. It is taking a little bit of adaptation from my players, but it seems to go quite well.

But I have several doubts about the application of diferent Martial Feats (wich we call Martial Maneuvers to differentiate from the classic feats). I am begginig with the Poll-Axe Fighting martial feat.

The wording of the martial feat:
Benefits:
1) +2 Weapon Defense Bonus (max 6).
2) +1 Weapon Speed Bonus (max 6).
3) Gain a single extra attack or active defense once per round when at Melee range.

Questions:
- Does those Defense and Speed Bonus simply add to the basic weapon bonus? I mean, this feat turns a Spear (7/1/3) into a Spear (7/2/4)?
- If so, does this faster-at-Melee-range-Spear qualifies for other Martial Feats that requires a Speed of 2 or more?
- What that "gain a single extra attack or active defense..." means? Does it means that you get one free dice to use at Melee range for attaking or active defending only (i.e. not for moving)? Does it means that you can do one more attack or active defense of only one dice for free?

Thanks!
- Don't worry! They are just two kobolds.
(Last words of a 10 years veteran role player first time using Codex Martialis)
Lycanthropos

Re: Poll-Axe Fighting question

Postby zarlor » Sun May 03, 2009 1:58 am

I think G. is out of pocket for about a week, but I'll try to grab my copy to look that over more closely and see what I can come up with. My gut reaction before going back over the MFs (or MMs.... works better for me and G may like it too!)

- Does those Defense and Speed Bonus simply add to the basic weapon bonus? I mean, this feat turns a Spear (7/1/3) into a Spear (7/2/4)?

That should be correct.

- If so, does this faster-at-Melee-range-Spear qualifies for other Martial Feats that requires a Speed of 2 or more?

I want to say no on this. The feats meant for Speed 2+ weapons should be for the base speed of that weapon, not for the modified speed. I'll have to take some time and look at that more closely.

- What that "gain a single extra attack or active defense..." means? Does it means that you get one free dice to use at Melee range for attacking or active defending only (i.e. not for moving)? Does it means that you can do one more attack or active defense of only one dice for free?

I'll have to read over it again, but it usually means you get a free dice for an attack or defense, which means you have to have at least one Martial Pool available for that attack or defense to get the additional dice. But if he's really got it worded as gaining a single extra attack, then maybe he does mean something different there. At any rate, I'll try to look back over it again probably tomorrow and see if I have any more ideas there.
Lenny Zimmermann

"A soldier uses arms merely with skill, whereas a knight uses them with virtuous intention." - Pomponio Torelli, 1596.

- Systeme D'armes, New Orleans, Louisiana
http://www.sdanola.com
zarlor

Postby zarlor » Sun May 03, 2009 1:52 pm

Ok I thought that looked a bit odd. The Weapon bonuses are, indeed, just bonuses like you listed it and I'd say that the other MFs that require a particular Speed weapon is meant only for the base speed of a weapon, as I mentioned above, (G. would have to give the official answer on it, though) but on that last question...

What version of the Codex do you have? My copy doesn't list anything about an extra attack there.. Instead it states:

3) Can attack with the haft for 1-4 Bash Damage (Small or Medium sized weapons) or 1-6 Bash Damage (Large or Very Large sized)
4) Can thrust with the butt for 1-6 Bash damage, or 1-8 Pierce damage with a sharpened or capped spear butt.

You can always get the latest version at http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_i ... s_id=58045 (in fact if you look in the right-hand column one of those information boxes is a box called " Notifications" where you can have drivethru "Notify me of updates to Codex Martialis"). I'd recommend grabbing the latest version as it does fix some of the typos and spots where the verbiage might have been a little confusing.
Lenny Zimmermann

"A soldier uses arms merely with skill, whereas a knight uses them with virtuous intention." - Pomponio Torelli, 1596.

zarlor

Postby Lycanthropos » Sun May 03, 2009 3:07 pm

zarlor wrote:Ok I thought that looked a bit odd. The Weapon bonuses are, indeed, just bonuses like you listed it and I'd say that the other MFs that require a particular Speed weapon is meant only for the base speed of a weapon, as I mentioned above, (G. would have to give the official answer on it, though)

Thanks Lenny. My first question is solved.

I have checked the option of getting an e-mail if there are updates. My Codex Martialis version is 1.2s.
- Don't worry! They are just two kobolds.
(Last words of a 10 years veteran role player first time using Codex Martialis)
Lycanthropos

Postby zarlor » Mon May 04, 2009 3:05 am

Oh, 1.2s? Ooops, I was actually looking at an older version. :o

1.2s does appear to be the latest and it looks like the 3) & 4) I mentioned above are removed from the description. There is no mention there about an extra attack at all, though. Just the bonuses to Speed and Defense, that's it. So I din't think your question about that part applies at all. Unless I'm reading what your wrote incorrectly (always a distinct possibility for me ;) ).
Lenny Zimmermann

zarlor

Postby Galloglaich » Fri May 22, 2009 9:47 pm

Sorry I missed this before.

I believe the answer is that the Poll Axe fighting MF increases your Speed and defense, which does count for other Martial Feats. So per your question your yes after acquiring this MF your spear would indeed turn from a 7/1/3 to a 7/2/4, making it eligable for other MF.

This Martial Feat is meant to represent that you are using your pole weapon more like a Staff, i.e. in a more trained manner than a beginner would.

Initially I was toying with the idea of the MF giving you an extra attack (which is what you saw in earlier versions of the Codex) but I generally attempted to simplify many of the MF after playtesting and currently think this solution is more elegant.

I'm at work right now so I'll have to double check that but I think that is correct, I'll update this thread after I check again at home tonight.

G.
Galloglaich

Return to FAQ