Different products

Frequently Asked Questions about the Codex

Different products

Postby JoseFreitas » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:45 am

I just bought Codex on the recommendation of a friend (and I am tremendously enjoying it!). I have a couple of questions, though.

I bought version 1.2, before being aware that there is a Core Rules document, which has >50 pages more. Can you tell me what the differences are? Is it worth getting the Core Rules? Do you have a program for people who bought the first doc to get the new one for a better price? What if I buy both Encyclopedias, is there a bundle for that (you should have one, for new buyers, since it seems like such an obvious thing).

I'll post a few more questions later.

I have to add though: a forum software that requires passwords with 20 to 30 character is... ridiculous! This is not the NSA or FBI, it's just a game! :D
JoseFreitas

Re: Different products

Postby Galloglaich » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:52 pm

Jose,

PM me your email and I'll send you a comp copy of the version 23 of the rules. It's basically the same but it's been updated a little and has a bunch of extras around integration with OGL, like some sample animals, a few sample characters, rules for converting OGL Feats for Codex use etc. It's also more in sync with the weapons and armor supplements we did.

I didn't realize the forum was demanding a huge password like that I'll check the settings!

G
Last edited by Galloglaich on Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Galloglaich

Postby JoseFreitas » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:08 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. I gather there's not much traffic here, which is a shame given how well designed the system seems to be.

I am PMing for that Core rules document. Thank you very much for the offer. as a token of appreciation for your gesture, I've just bought the two Encyclopedias at RPGNow, which is where I buy most of my PDF stuff. Not that I wasn'tgoing to buy them otherwise, of course.. ;)

I will be taking Codex through a test drive this week end with a friend of mine, the guy with whom I generally play (as a player) Pathfinder/D&D3. I'm more of a AD&D 1st edition guy myself but I love trying out more realistic and fun systems. In the distant past (the 80's) I used to play a lot of Chivalry & Sorcery 2nd edition, which had a pertty good (IMHO) combat system, and even used it with the AD&D rules at some point. I'll let you know my opinion on Codex as soon as I've tried it.

Best
JoseFreitas

Postby Galloglaich » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:04 pm

Thanks Jose, I'm really looking forward to hearing about your game.

We get a little bit of activity here on the forum, it kind of comes and goes in cycles or little flare-ups. The codex has been selling pretty well though, they told me a PDF would only sell for about a year and then the rapidshare stuff would pretty much ruin the market. But it's still going strong even though they are also being passed around on rapidshare quite a bit. One big advantage of actually buying these docs is that I am constantly updating them with new material as more photos, and more data become available, so if you sign up for the updates you'll get these little 'extras'. The first weapon book grew from about 60 pages when it was first released to I think 100 now.

I'm starting to get some feedback privately from people in the HEMA community in Europe who like the system, I think that is part of what has kept it going. Which is a win /win for me because these folks often have access to photos from museums or casles etc. and lots of information about kit and historical fighting techniques which kep coming out.

Anyway welcome to the forum and please post your experiences here for us to read (I think I made a sub-forum somewhere for descriptions of actual play) be sure to chime in if you have any questions or run into any problems as well. Even if I'm not available for a while there are a few lurkers here who know the system pretty well who can help out.

G.
Galloglaich

Postby Galloglaich » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:11 pm

Oh and the password thing should be fixed now, it must have been a default setting. I can't believe nobody told me about this before! I reduced it down to 5 character minimum.

G.
Galloglaich

Postby JoseFreitas » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:09 pm

My session with my friend was postponed. My kid had a birthday party for the whole of sunday, which meant that my wife could head off for some well-deserved R&R - movie, hanging out at a big book shop, having a nice tea and toast by the seaside, etc... I'll sit down with my buddy tonight, and hand him a print version of the rules. Probably next week-end.

I actually initially "stole" your book in a rapidshare download (my apologies... I sometime do this just to check whether the product is any good - I've had my share of incredibly bad quality PDF products.... I consider it the equivalent of browsing at the bookshop). But I liked it a lot and decided to buy it and the two Encyclopedia books, through RPGNow which is where I mostly buy my stuff from. Is it more expensive to watermark the PDFs? I noticed your isn't. I haven't redeemed one of your coupons (for the Encyclopedia) because I bought it.

When one of the guys at Dragonsfoot (I'm an old-schooler mostly, playing AD&D 1st/2nd edition) told me about Codex (we generally pass on recommendations about rules systems) I investigated all the reviews and was well impressed with how good they are. I've played a simple fight myself, but it didn't really get the feeling from a larger one. My major concern for my personal enjoyment of the rules would be that I tend to use a different set of assumptions re. Feats and skills. Basically... I don't use them. I keep a fairly skimpy skill system (à la AD&D 1st.) and don't have any Feats in my game. That's not a real problem, I guess, but I'd rather switch to a "Fighting Style" method. In AD&D Fighters get weapon proficiencies at levels 1, 4, 7, etc... so rather than giving out a Martial feat per level (ie. consistent with one per +1 gained) I'd re-package 2/3 Feats into a single Fighting Style to be bought every 3 levels. Or assign a Feat to most weapons, plus a feat for Weapon specialization, etc...

I'd like to hear your opinion on this, as well as suggestions for what Feats would go well with each other.
JoseFreitas

Postby Galloglaich » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:46 pm

Yeah I know people download it on filesharing sites a lot. I don't mind that much especially if people did as you did and actually buy it if they decide they like it. The latter is a better option if you are seriously interested since I put out a lot of updates parituclarly on the weapon encyclopedia books. The first one went from about 50 pages initially to over 100 now.

A lot of people have asked for skills packages similar to your request, so I'm going to try to do one I'm not sure when I can get to it because I've been real busy lately with dayjob and my other hobbies (esp. fencing). But I'll try to put something thing up soon along those lines.

G.
Galloglaich

Postby JoseFreitas » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:57 pm

I have been fairly good at not pirating products, especially if they are the work of love of authors who are clearly not in it for the money. Codex looks very much like it was a labor of love, and also the price is not scandalous or anything. I worked in the publishing industry for years and I am sensitive to the problems.

I did not redeem your kind offer of the Encyclopedia, since I already had it. If you can withdraw it, that's fine (I don't know if there are costs associated with it, if they are, please go ahead and withdraw it). Thanks anyway.

So, we just had our first fight with Codex rules last Saturday, and I have to say it went VERY smoothly, moreso than I anticipated. We did not use all the rules, we selected some Feats only, and we obviously forgot to use everything we wanted to use, of course. We had two different versions: on both variations we used ascending attack bonus and AC - a radical innovation for old time grognards like us, but we thought it'd work better and save us a lot of adaptation work. One variation used straight 1st edition AC (ie. no damage reduction from armor) and all defenses played as increases of AC, as passive defenses - and one variation using damage resistance and actively rolled defenses, regular Codex rules.

There were some differences, but in a somewhat perverse way, the "no DR" rules seemed a lot more deadly. There were fewer hits but more damage overall. I'll try topost a writeup of the fights. Hopefully before the end of March.

Inveitably, playing the game answered alot of questions, but also raised a few of them. I have a small list of questions and I'll try to post them this week, but I've been busy during week days, and week-ends have been dedicated to my kid and to actually playing Codex, AD&D and some HeroClix games!
JoseFreitas

Postby Galloglaich » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:50 pm

Jose,

Really glad to hear about that. I've had a lot of praise for these rules but very little detailed discussion of actual play. It's very interesting to me to hear about how people use the system.

I think it's normal to adopt whatever elements you like. From what I've heard most people have adapted anywhere from 10% - 90% of the Codex rules.

I look forward to answering your questions. I have a couple of quick questions of my own:

1) How fast did the combat go? How would you compare it to other systems in terms of speed.

2) What kind of weapons and armor were you using? What kind of monsters or opponets were you fighting?

3) Which weapon / strategies did you find most effective?

4) Did you use missile weapons or just melee weapons?

5) Which variant worked better no DR or armor as DR / Bypass?

6) Were there any "derailments"? Did you get stuck on anything in particular?

Well that is enough for a start :)

You may have noticed on another thread (in the Martial Feats section) I've started working on some skill packages for you (and everybody) i've done about 4 or 5 so far I'm going to try to do about 20 alltogether, about 2/3 will be for 4th level fighters and the rest 8th level, to give you some idea of simple and advanced "skill" packages. Once it's all done and edited etc. I'll add it to the version 23 rules.

G.
Galloglaich

Postby Galloglaich » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:57 pm

JoseFreitas wrote:I have been fairly good at not pirating products, especially if they are the work of love of authors who are clearly not in it for the money. Codex looks very much like it was a labor of love, and also the price is not scandalous or anything. I worked in the publishing industry for years and I am sensitive to the problems.

I'm pretty much the same as you to be honest. Codex was done to kind of spread a 'different' idea of how to play these games and an appreciation (say, a very small niche) for Historical or mythological based gaming as opposed to the modern version of fantasy which seems to be crowding everything out.

I obviously made very little money on it, but the little income I do get from it is nice to have.

I did not redeem your kind offer of the Encyclopedia, since I already had it. If you can withdraw it, that's fine (I don't know if there are costs associated with it, if they are, please go ahead and withdraw it). Thanks anyway.

There is no cost associated, you can send the D/L key a buddy if you like.

G.
Galloglaich

Next

Return to FAQ