Movement

Frequently Asked Questions about the Codex

Movement

Postby Mercutio Wilder » Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:46 pm

Hello,

I just got the Codex Martialis and I like a lot of the ideas in there.

However, it doesn't cover how movement works with the Martial Pool. It's implied that a move-equivalent action costs one MP die but it's not spelled out anywhere and that would create some odd situations.

Thanks,
Merc
Mercutio Wilder

Re: Movement

Postby zarlor » Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:54 pm

Galloglaich would have to provide an official response, but I want to say that I think movement does not necessarily, in and of itself, require the use of an MP die. I think it depends mainly on the situation and is a GM decision. Like if you are just closing distance to get into combat or otherwise just moving around to find a better position then I don't think it would be needed. But if you dispatched your current opponent and then had to move to get to another opponent to attack in the same round, then that might require a die from the MP. I think its mainly just situational.
Lenny Zimmermann

"A soldier uses arms merely with skill, whereas a knight uses them with virtuous intention." - Pomponio Torelli, 1596.

- Systeme D'armes, New Orleans, Louisiana
http://www.sdanola.com
zarlor

Postby Galloglaich » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:37 pm

Mercutio Wilder wrote:Hello,

I just got the Codex Martialis and I like a lot of the ideas in there.

However, it doesn't cover how movement works with the Martial Pool. It's implied that a move-equivalent action costs one MP die but it's not spelled out anywhere and that would create some odd situations.

Thanks,
Merc

Hi Mercutio,

Welcome to the forum. With regard to your question, as Zarlors said there is a certain degree of common sense used vis a vis GM discretion, but there is some structure to how it works.

The 'Changing range' optional rule states 2 MP are required to move from one combat range to another, though there are several Martial Feats which allow you to do this for zero or 1 MP (see Durchlaufen for example).

The basic rule of thumb is that normal Move Equivalent actions require 1 MP, exceptional movement actions (including Charge) requires 2 or more MP, up to DM's discretion.

There are also Swift Actions and Immediate Actions which were introduced in the 3.5 SRD (I think from a Psionics handbook?).

According to these rules once per round you can declare an immediate action whether it's your turn or not. So you could for example declare your dodge-target as your immediate action. This would cost 0 MP.

G.
Galloglaich

Postby Mercutio Wilder » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:19 am

This creates the oddity that a 1st level fighter can move or attack but not both.

I'd prefer to have a standard to apply instead of ad-hoc'ing each move until the character gets a 2nd MP die.

Thanks,
Merc
Mercutio Wilder

Postby Galloglaich » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:34 am

Merc,

Sorry I guess I should have gotten into more detail.

The rule I've been using is that your first movement in the round (such as moving into melee range) up to your normal movement rate in feet, costs 0 MP. This basically replaces how the 5' step is used in the SRD.

All subsequent movement or standard actions (drawing a sword, readying a bow, casting a spell, taking out a potion etc.) require spending 1 or more MP, as does changing range.

This is part of how the Martial Pool effectively replaces / eliminates many of the SRD combat options such as Full attack option, Total Defense option etc., as well as Attacks of Opportunity because these all become simply a factor of how many dice you allocate and all the die roll mods are ignored (replaced by how many dice you use from your pool). So in other words rather than declaring a Total Defense option for a +4 Dodge Bonus to AC, you simply commit a second die to defense (which by coincidence statistically is equivalent to a +4 while also nearly eliminating your chance of rolling a 1 and increasing your chance of rolling a 20) Similarly, additional movements (moving to a second opponent after killing the first, running to help a comrade or bar a door etc.) cost additional MP, if there are any available.

To RUN requires all available MP. According to the SRD Running allows you to move four times your speed in a straight line. I'm also going to put out some Codex equivalents for certain feats like Mobility which will further expand on how this works.

With the Codex, you can move normally and still attack. For a more restrictive alternative, you could rule that 1st level players can only take a five foot step in the same round that they fight. I think people should be able to move around a bit though.

Hope that helps some.

G.

EDIT: also I should add we are using the Sovelior SRD as a point of reference for 3.5 SRD rules. THis is the section I refer to regarding movement in combat and combat actions:

http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/actionsInCombat.html
Last edited by Galloglaich on Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Galloglaich

Postby Galloglaich » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:20 pm

I should add that the expenditure of further MP allows more movement at the normal movement rate (15'-30' for most PCs), which you could think of as a kind of incremental 'hustle' in between normal movement (basically walking up to the fight) and a run (4 times normal movement rate).

Basically this allows an intermediate movement capability for more experienced fighters, rather than all or nothing as in traditional 3.5 rules.

The new rules on Codex versions of standard 3.5 Feats will enhance and define this a bit further. I'll be posting that some time this week.

G.
Galloglaich

Postby Galloglaich » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:02 am

I did an update to the Codex tonight which includes a clarification of this issue on page 9 in a new section: "MARTIAL POOL AND MOVEMENT"

Anyone signed up for automatic updates should receive a new version of the PDF with this update.

G.
Galloglaich

Postby davout1805 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:14 pm

Galloglaich wrote:
To RUN requires all available MP. According to the SRD Running allows you to move four times your speed in a straight line.

Does this mean all that a character may have available (a 1st level fighter could use all - which would be only one) or require the character to have 4 dice in the pool, since run is 4 movements (the 1st level fighter could not run, at most could double move - one free + 1 die)?

Thanks again.
davout1805

Postby Galloglaich » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:17 pm

All available, so a 1st or 0 level character could either run or fight with his one free movement but nothing in between. Higher level characters can do various combinations of movement and combat actions, such as move two or three times for example.
Galloglaich

Return to FAQ