Bypass and Forcing Critical

Lenny wrote:

it seems to me that if you are going to bypass any armor that has
a -10 penalty (or Natural Armor, since it has that as well) then you may
as well announce that you are ALSO aiming for a critical hit. And since
there seems to be no limitations on what strikes can be used to bypass
that I can see... In other words by the rules it seems to me that every
Bypass (at least on any armor with a -10 Bypass) will also always be a
critical hit. Just pointing that out in case you hadn't seen it before.
Although in some ways it always seems like getting past a dragon's
scales in all those stories is almost always a crit a well (you got the
soft spot in his mouth and skewered his brain! or that soft spot right
below his heart!) I would thing that wouldn't always be the case, but
I'm not sure what rule you would use otherwise, unless you want to say
that those penalties would have to stack? (-20, to bypass and crit?)

The penalty for armor bypass and a forced critical attempt stack, so yes, against a guy in full armor or a monster like a dragon it would be -20.

Keep in mind most armor has a bypass of less than 10 so it would be easier against a typical human, and most low to mid HD animals or monsters don't have that much DR on their natural armor.

A Dragon of course should be very hard to hit perfectly in it's vital area. So yes it's hard to do both unless your opponent were stunned or you had cast a True Strike or got really lucky on a four dice attack (in which case it's really better just to do one or the other (bypass if they have heavy armor) because with a four dice attack you are much more likely to roll a 20, which is what you'd probably need anyway doing both a forced crit attempt and a bypass.

G.
Last edited by Galloglaich on Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Galloglaich

Re: Bypass and Forcing Critical

Postby Galloglaich » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:05 am

Lenny wrote:On p. 18 it says that Slip-Thrust is for "thrusting weapons (only) which are not normally reach weapons..." Where is "reach weapon" defined?

It's from the SRD:Reach Weapons: Glaives, guisarmes, lances, longspears, ranseurs, spiked chains, and whips are reach weapons. A reach weapon is a melee weapon that allows its wielder to strike at targets that aren’t adjacent to him or her. Most reach double the wielder’s natural reach, meaning that a typical Small or Medium wielder of such a weapon can attack a creature 10 feet away, but not a creature in an adjacent square. A typical Large character wielding a reach weapon of the appropriate size can attack a creature 15 or 20 feet away, but not adjacent creatures or creatures up to 10 feet away.

http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org ... ch-weapons
Last edited by Galloglaich on Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Galloglaich

Re: FAQ

Postby Galloglaich » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:00 am

In the Martial Feat "Counterstroke" let's say you have a 4MP and you have the initiative. Can you, for example, use 3 dice for attacking on your initiative, but then hold 1 die declaring that it is in reserve for a "Counterstroke" against your designated "Dodge" target?

Yes

The line that causes confusion is "They must then wait until attacked by the target designated for Dodge." What about if you don't have the initiative? Does that preclude you from naming a "Dodge" target, and therefore precludes your ability to use this feat against their first attack?

Yes if it's the first round. You would normally have to wait until it was your action within the round (i.e. your initiative order) before declaring your dodge target.

Once someone has been declared as your dodge target they can remain however without being "re-declared" so in subsequent rounds. So after the first round you wouldn't have to worry about this issue.

And there is an even better loophole which comes from 3.5 SRD (I don't think it existed in 3.0) namely Swift Actions and Immediate Actions.

According to these rules once per round you can declare an immediate action whether it's your turn or not. So you could declare your dodge-target as your immediate action.

(the Swift Action and Immediate Action rules are not in the SRD I normally use, the Sovellior SRD, but they are in some others, like this one I'm not sure exactly when or where they were introduced.

G.
Galloglaich

Re: FAQ

Postby Galloglaich » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:20 am

hollowleg wrote: Very neat system! My group's a little skeptical, but there was some interest. And it would indeed work very nicely with a good Matrix system (or Iron Heroes). Also considering adding it to the WH40k d20 system I'm working on.

I'm a little unclear about one thing, though: If you allocate a die to active defense, does that set your defense until your next turn to d20 (or best of multiple d20s) plus defense rating, or just against one attack (and then multiple d20s allocated allow you to block multiple attacks or take the best against a single attack)?

In our system, when you allocate a die to active defense it basically works for that one attack. You get the value of your die roll (or the best of multiple die rolls) plus your defense rating.

Each active defense roll defends you against a single attack within the round, once you have used up your pool or (elect to stop using dice from it) you have to rely on passive defense, which is all your defense bonsues plus 8.

However you could alternately rule that a given active defense roll applied to all attacks from a particular opponent within a given round. So say if you were fighting larry, moe and curly, if larry made two attacks, you could roll one die as active defense against all of his attacks, and still have the rest of your pool for dealing with moe and curly.

G.
Galloglaich

Some more questions (possible additions to the FAQ)

Postby zarlor » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:52 pm

p. 11, "First Attack": Is the first attack by you always at onset? What if someone attacking you had the initiative, does their attack count as the "First attack in the round" so you are no longer at onset range?

p. 11, "Follow-Up Attacks": Does the phrase "All counterattacks are also based on speed" also apply to counter attacks (like one would get with the Counterstroke feat?) (I mention this because of the specific section defining a difference between those two terms.)

p. 11 "Counterattacks" and p. 13, "Damage to Weapons (Optional)": On a counterattack where the Active Defense roll comes up 20 AND the Attacker rolled a 20, does the initial attacker damage your weapon but the counterattack is still against the initial attacker?

p. 13, "Hit Point Ceiling (Optional): This states that Fighters, Rangers and Paladins (and presumably other fighter-based classes) have an HP ceiling of 4 x Con. All others get 3 X Con. How do you determine the ceiling for multi-class characters?

p. 27, "Appendix 3: Weapons Tables": You list Javelins under missile weapons, but not under Melee Weapons. Can't these be used as melee weapon as well. What would the stats be for it when used that way?
Lenny Zimmermann

"A soldier uses arms merely with skill, whereas a knight uses them with virtuous intention." - Pomponio Torelli, 1596.

- Systeme D'armes, New Orleans, Louisiana
http://www.sdanola.com
zarlor

Re: Some more questions (possible additions to the FAQ)

Postby Galloglaich » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:25 pm

zarlor wrote:p. 11, "First Attack": Is the first attack by you always at onset? What if someone attacking you had the initiative, does their attack count as the "First attack in the round" so you are no longer at onset range?

If nobody has done more than one attack or a counterattack, you are still at Onset. Also in a special case, if someone has done two multi-dice attacks (i.e. maintained range) you are still at Onset.

p. 11, "Follow-Up Attacks": Does the phrase "All counterattacks are also based on speed" also apply to counter attacks (like one would get with the Counterstroke feat?) (I mention this because of the specific section defining a difference between those two terms.)

Normally any counterattack will be at Melee range, but you could also throw in another die to change range first.

I've also been toying with the idea of a 'Distance Fighting' MF which would allow you to maintain distance with less difficulty (see the New Rules section of this forum).

p. 11 "Counterattacks" and p. 13, "Damage to Weapons (Optional)": On a counterattack where the Active Defense roll comes up 20 AND the Attacker rolled a 20, does the initial attacker damage your weapon but the counterattack is still against the initial attacker?

The attacker will have hit the defenders weapon, the defender gets a normal counter attack. (You will want to make sure the defenders weapon is still intact before running the counterattack)

p. 13, "Hit Point Ceiling (Optional): This states that Fighters, Rangers and Paladins (and presumably other fighter-based classes) have an HP ceiling of 4 x Con. All others get 3 X Con. How do you determine the ceiling for multi-class characters?

For multi classed characters it is 3 x Con, 4 x Con is only for pure fighter / ranger / paladin characters. I'll add this in the next update of the Codex Core rules so that is more clear the way it's worded is kind of ambiguous.

p. 27, "Appendix 3: Weapons Tables": You list Javelins under missile weapons, but not under Melee Weapons. Can't these be used as melee weapon as well. What would the stats be for it when used that way?

Yes, when a Javelin (any kind of javelin) is used as a melee weapon it is considered a half-spear. I'll put a footnote in the Missile weapon section to indicate this more clearly.

G.
Galloglaich

Postby zarlor » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:42 pm

Galloglaich wrote:
zarlor wrote:p. 11, "First Attack": Is the first attack by you always at onset? What if someone attacking you had the initiative, does their attack count as the "First attack in the round" so you are no longer at onset range?

If nobody has done more than one attack or a counterattack, you are still at Onset. Also in a special case, if someone has done two multi-dice attacks (i.e. maintained range) you are still at Onset.

Ok, we need to revisit that, then. The Codex declares "Your first attack in the round", which implies that it doesn't matter what your initiative is or how many attacks have occured up to that point, as long as it is "your" first attack. So you may need to look at the wording on that.

Normally any counterattack will be at Melee range, but you could also throw in another die to change range first.

I've also been toying with the idea of a 'Distance Fighting' MF which would allow you to maintain distance with less difficulty (see the New Rules section of this forum).

Except you make a clear distinction in the Codex between "counterattack" and "counter attack". So I think it needs to be made clear that, outside of feats and such, both counterattacks and counter attacks will be considered at melee range (or in the context of the sentence in question, "All counterattacks and counter attacks are also based on speed")
Lenny Zimmermann

"A soldier uses arms merely with skill, whereas a knight uses them with virtuous intention." - Pomponio Torelli, 1596.

zarlor

Postby zarlor » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:44 pm

And a few more questions to toss in.

What does the parenthesis around the Y on the STR BONUS column on missile weapons mean, (Y) as opposed to Y?

The index shows the section "Some Historical Shield Types" on p. 33, but p. 33 only covers the first 3 (Targe, Buckler and Pelta) in the descriptions there and then p. 34 skips straight to "Types of Armor". Am I missing something in my copy?

How does the Codex Martialis affect the use of the Weapon Focus Feat? Does it provide just a +1 to hit bonus, or does it also confer a +1 Defense Bonus as well?

Because of the way these rules rightfully place shields into the realm of defensive weapons in their own right, should we expect to use Weapon Focus for shields as well? And if so does the same +1 to hit (if you have the right Martial Feats) and Defense Bonus apply there as well?
Last edited by zarlor on Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Lenny Zimmermann

zarlor

Postby Galloglaich » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:55 pm

zarlor wrote:And a few more questions to toss in.

What does the parenthesis around the Y on the STR BONUS column on missile weapons mean, (Y) as opposed to Y?

STR Bonus applies with some missile weapons (basically thrown weapons) only at close or short range, wheras with bows it is a function of how far you can pull the bow back so it applies at all ranges.

The index shows the section "Some Historical Shield Types" on p. 33, but p. 33 only covers the first 3 (Targe, Buckler and Pelta) in the descriptions there and then p. 34 skips straight to "Types of Armor". Am I missing something in my copy?

I'm not sure if you are saying the Index is missing something (quite possible) or there is something missing in the text? I'll take a look at the Codex and see if I can see what you mean.

How does the Codex Martialis affect the use of the Weapon Focus Feat? Does it provide just a +1 to hit bonus, or does it also confer a +1 Defense Bonus as well?

Because of the way these rules rightfully place shields into the realm of defensive weapons in their own right, should we expect to use Weapon Focus for shields as well? And if so does the same +1 to hit (if you have the right Martial Feats) and Defense Bonus apply there as well?

Yes that is correct, Weapon Focus applies to both Attack and to Active Defense, both for weapons and for shields.

G.
Galloglaich

Postby Galloglaich » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:59 pm

To Clarify the rules on onset range: if you or any of your opponents has attacked two or more times, or if anyone has executed a counterattack (i.e. automatically generated by die roll) or a counter attack such as a counterstroke triggered by a feat, you are now at Melee range.

To move back to Onset you will have to expend 1 MP.

Hope that helps.

G.
Last edited by Galloglaich on Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Galloglaich

Next

Return to FAQ