FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions about the Codex

Re: Some more questions (possible additions to the FAQ)

Postby zarlor » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:18 am

Galloglaich wrote:
zarlor wrote:The index shows the section "Some Historical Shield Types" on p. 33, but p. 33 only covers the first 3 (Targe, Buckler and Pelta) in the descriptions there and then p. 34 skips straight to "Types of Armor". Am I missing something in my copy?

I'm not sure if you are saying the Index is missing something (quite possible) or there is something missing in the text? I'll take a look at the Codex and see if I can see what you mean.

Sorry, I meant the Table of Contents, not the Index. The ToC has entries for mre than 3 shield types, but your text only has those 3 in it. So the actual text describing those shields in the book is completely missing for all the other shield types. They just aren't there. Maybe they never were, but then they should probably be either pulled from the ToC or the accomanying text may need to be added.
Lenny Zimmermann

"A soldier uses arms merely with skill, whereas a knight uses them with virtuous intention." - Pomponio Torelli, 1596.

- Systeme D'armes, New Orleans, Louisiana
http://www.sdanola.com
zarlor

Postby Galloglaich » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:15 pm

I found what you are talking about, some text was left out. I've fixed this in the next update of the Codex (12n)

Thanks for finding that!

G.
Galloglaich

FAQ - Consolidated

Postby Galloglaich » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:45 pm

FAQ

Q: how you accomodate Swift, Free, and Immediate actions with the Martial Pool
The general rule of thumb we have used for actions has been that any action which can draw an attack of opportunity requires spending an MP. So many Free actions would cost no MP. Move-equivalent actions cost 1-2 MP, depending on the specific action (at the GMs discretion).

Q: So a swift spell would cost 1 MP with a limit of 1 swift spell a round?

A: Based on this definition of a Swift Action http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Swift_Actions I would say yes, that sounds right. Basically if it drew an AoO I would cost a die, but I would leave it up to the GM's discretion.

Q: In the description of the Lunge, it states: "You may not perform an Active Defense on the same round as a Lunge. That is, all of your Martial Pool dice must be applied to attack(s)"

What about using MP die for movement?

Thanks.

A: Yes movement is Ok. Remember that moving out of attack range can draw an AoO though. A Lunge also works well with a couple of Feints
Galloglaich

Postby davout1805 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:45 pm

Galloglaich wrote:To Clarify the rules on onset range: if you or any of your opponents has attacked two or more times, or if anyone has executed a conuterattack (i.e. automatically generated by die roll) or a counter attack such as a conuterstroke triggered by a feat, you are now at Melee range.

To move back to Onset you will have to expend 1 MP.

Does combat switch back to Onset on the following turn or remains in melee, unless someone spends. I assume the later.

Thanks.
davout1805

Postby Galloglaich » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:54 pm

Thats correct it remains in melee unless somebody moves out of combat or moves back to onset range (spending an MP to do so)
Galloglaich

Re: FAQ

Postby Alex319 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:06 am

Thats correct it remains in melee unless somebody moves out of combat or moves back to onset range (spending an MP to do so)

So the statement that says "your first attack in any round is at onset range" is incorrect. It should say "the first attack in the combat is at onset range", correct?

Anyway, I think it's a good idea to clear this up by making a list of all the ways to change range. Here's how I understand it so far:

- You start the combat at onset range.
- You can always change range one step in either direction by spending 1 MP, in accordance with Page 9.
- If you make two attacks in a round when you are at onset range, you move to melee range before the attack is resolved.
- If you are in melee range, when you make an attack with an S or M weapon, you can declare that you're trying to go for grapple range. If you do this, then the opponent gets an AoO before you attack, but if you hit then you move into grapple range "for free".

Right so far?

Now some questions:

- On page 11, it says you must make a successful attack with an S or M weapon in order to move to grapple range. Is this simply a different way of entering grapple, or does this overrule the implication on Page 9 that you just have to spend 1 MP and no roll is necessary?
- If I'm in onset range, and I make one attack, I am still in onset range, correct? If I make a second attack, I move to melee range (and the range change happens before the attack is resolved.) So this means that if I win initiative, and I make two attacks on the first round, we are now in melee range, so that if the opponent then makes one attack, it is done from melee range, correct?
- Let's say I have 4 MP, we're at onset range, and I want to use the following sequence of actions.
1. Make an attack at onset range with 1 MP.
2. Make another attack with 1 MP, thus moving to melee range and the attack happens at melee range.
3. Spend 1 MP to move back to onset range.
4. Spend my last MP to make another attack at onset range.

Is this a legal sequence of moves, and if so what range are we in at the end of it?

----

Also, some more questions:

1. When do MPs refresh - at the beginning or end of your turn? What I mean by this is: let's say I have 4 MPs, and I spend all of them on my turn, and then my opponent provokes an AoO. Which of the following happens:

(A) I can't make the AoO because I have no MPs left. If I wanted to make the AoO, I would have had to only spend 3 or fewer MPs on my turn, saving one for a potential AoO.

(B) I get my 4 MP back at the end of my turn, so I can make the AoO, although if I spend 1 MP on the AoO then I will only have 3 MP left to use when my turn rolls around again.

EDIT: After reading the book more, it's pretty clearly implied that (A) is the correct interpretation. But it's probably worth it to state it up front just to make it explicit.

2. I don't see the advantage in ever using more than one MP on one attack roll from melee range. Suppose I use all 4 MPs on one melee attack - then I roll four dice, and if any are high enough to hit I score one hit. If I were to instead do a separate attack with each die, then I score one hit for each die that is high enough to hit - which is always at least as good. I understand that there might be certain exceptions like fumbles and such - but is the basic analysis correct or am I missing something?

3. Do you have to spend MP for Active Defense for each attack you defend against? Suppose that the attacker has 3 MP and the defender has 1 MP left. The attacker makes an attack using 1 MP and the defender actively defends. Does the die spent on active defense apply to all attacks defended against that round, or after this attack does the attacker get to use his next two MP to make attacks against the target with no opportunity for active defense because the target already used up his MP? If the latter, that makes splitting up your MP across multiple attacks even more of a good strategy.
Alex319

Postby Alex319 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:38 am

Update to last post:

After reading more in some of the other threads I think I understand more about why you would want to use multi-dice attacks, so you don't have to answer my question 2 below. And I think I know the answer to question 3 as well.

But I do have another question about the counterattacks. On Page 15, under "Counter Attacks and Counterattacks" it gives an example that says that the attack granted by Counterstroke does not count as a "counterattack" unless it follows the rolling of a natural 20. But under the description of Counterstroke itself, it says that it does give an "automatic counterattack." So which one is it? In particular, does the free dice from Riposte apply to an attack from Counterstroke if it does not follow the rolling of a natural 20? It's confusing because the rulebook seems to say it doesn't, but Galloglaich's post on viewtopic.php?f=3&t=77&st=0&sk=t&sd=a (second from the bottom of the first page) seems to say that it does.
Alex319

Postby Galloglaich » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:18 pm

Hi Alex, welcome to the Forum :)

Alex319 wrote:

So the statement that says "your first attack in any round is at onset range" is incorrect. It should say "the first attack in the combat is at onset range", correct?

You are right, this isn't clearly worded enough. It would probably be more accurate to say your first attack in a round is always at onset range, unless you have moved into melee or grapple range. What this means is if you make one attack, then defend, move, etc, you are going to be back at onset range next round... unless you or your opponent did multiple attacks which put you at Melee or Grapple range, in which case you would have to expend one or more MP to get back to Onset.

Anyway, I think it's a good idea to clear this up by making a list of all the ways to change range. Here's how I understand it so far:

- You start the combat at onset range.
- You can always change range one step in either direction by spending 1 MP, in accordance with Page 9.
- If you make two attacks in a round when you are at onset range, you move to melee range before the attack is resolved.
- If you are in melee range, when you make an attack with an S or M weapon, you can declare that you're trying to go for grapple range. If you do this, then the opponent gets an AoO before you attack, but if you hit then you move into grapple range "for free".

Right so far?

Essentially yes, except you left out the "Maintaining Range" rule (I'm at work right now so can't give you a page number, but it's somewhere in there between 9-12); you can make two two-dice attacks and still stay in range, normally meaning you spent all of your MP on attack (note however: this also works in theory if you are getting free dice such as from Feats or Martial Feats, so it could be possible to still have MP remaining)

Now some questions:

- On page 11, it says you must make a successful attack with an S or M weapon in order to move to grapple range. Is this simply a different way of entering grapple, or does this overrule the implication on Page 9 that you just have to spend 1 MP and no roll is necessary?

Your interpretation is essentialy correct, if you make an unarmed attack or an attack with a T or S weapon (though not a size M) you can move to grapple range for 'free', otherwise you have to spend 1 MP. Either way you potentially provoke an AoO if your opponent still has MP remaining.

- If I'm in onset range, and I make one attack, I am still in onset range, correct? If I make a second attack, I move to melee range (and the range change happens before the attack is resolved.) So this means that if I win initiative, and I make two attacks on the first round, we are now in melee range, so that if the opponent then makes one attack, it is done from melee range, correct?

Yes unless both of your attacks were multi-die attacks (see my comment on Maintaining Range, above)

- Let's say I have 4 MP, we're at onset range, and I want to use the following sequence of actions.
2. Make another attack with 1 MP, thus moving to melee range and the attack happens at melee range.

Is this a legal sequence of moves, and if so what range are we in at the end of it?

Yes and you would be at onset range at the end of this sequence.
----

Also, some more questions:

1. When do MPs refresh - at the beginning or end of your turn? What I mean by this is: let's say I have 4 MPs, and I spend all of them on my turn, and then my opponent provokes an AoO. Which of the following happens:

(A) I can't make the AoO because I have no MPs left. If I wanted to make the AoO, I would have had to only spend 3 or fewer MPs on my turn, saving one for a potential AoO.

(B) I get my 4 MP back at the end of my turn, so I can make the AoO, although if I spend 1 MP on the AoO then I will only have 3 MP left to use when my turn rolls around again.

EDIT: After reading the book more, it's pretty clearly implied that (A) is the correct interpretation. But it's probably worth it to state it up front just to make it explicit.

(A) is the correct interpretation. if you used all of your MP you are vulnerable at the end of the turn, no AoO and no active defense (though certain Feats or Martial Feats can change this IIRC). So it's a good idea not to spend all of your MP if they pose a threat to you.

One example in practice where people will spend all of their MP on attacks is when for example several people are fighting one opponent. Last weekend players in my group were fighting an undead Grizzly Bear, they were spending 3 dice on attacks and 1 die to move back to onset, just so that when the Bear swiped at them he wouldn't get his close range To Hit bonuses. Because the Bear was using MP to defend and attacking multiple enemies, he rarely attacked the same guy more than once... when he finally did, that guy spent all his MP on defense and movement to stay away from the Bear.

This is an example of how dangerous it is to get ganged up on in the Codex rules.
3. Do you have to spend MP for Active Defense for each attack you defend against? Suppose that the attacker has 3 MP and the defender has 1 MP left. The attacker makes an attack using 1 MP and the defender actively defends. Does the die spent on active defense apply to all attacks defended against that round, or after this attack does the attacker get to use his next two MP to make attacks against the target with no opportunity for active defense because the target already used up his MP? If the latter, that makes splitting up your MP across multiple attacks even more of a good strategy.

You have to spend MP for every Active Defense. In practice this means that MP are spent on defenses against Multi Dice attacks, for movement, for AoO etc. In an even fight, a 'jab' or 'sniping' attack may not be worth spending an MP, depending on the opponent and the situation. It all depends a lot on who has what armor or weapons, how evenly matched you are etc.

As you probably figured out by now, multi-dice attacks are useful due to the near-elminiation of the chance of a fumble / counterattack, the increased likelyhood of a crit, the higher effective die-roll, triggering numerous MF like Miesterhau or Lunge etc., and the Dynamic Criticals rule if you are using that. But it is always situational, depends on how you and your opponent are armed and armored, how many people are fighting, what MF and Feats you have etc. etc.

G.
Last edited by Galloglaich on Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Galloglaich

Postby Galloglaich » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:32 pm

Alex319 wrote:Update to last post:

After reading more in some of the other threads I think I understand more about why you would want to use multi-dice attacks, so you don't have to answer my question 2 below. And I think I know the answer to question 3 as well.

But I do have another question about the counterattacks. On Page 15, under "Counter Attacks and Counterattacks" it gives an example that says that the attack granted by Counterstroke does not count as a "counterattack" unless it follows the rolling of a natural 20. But under the description of Counterstroke itself, it says that it does give an "automatic counterattack." So which one is it? In particular, does the free dice from Riposte apply to an attack from Counterstroke if it does not follow the rolling of a natural 20? It's confusing because the rulebook seems to say it doesn't, but Galloglaich's post on viewtopic.php?f=3&t=77&st=0&sk=t&sd=a (second from the bottom of the first page) seems to say that it does.

In the description of the Riposte on Page 17, it specifically states that it can be used in conjunction with the Counterstoke MF. This means that the counterattack created by the Counterstroke will trigger the Riposte MF (i.e. you will get the free Dice).

Other Feats or MF which work with Counterstroke should specifically be indicated in their description, usually in the last line.

G.
Galloglaich

Postby Alex319 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:18 pm

Q: Let's say I have 4 MP, we're at onset range, and I want to use the following sequence of actions.

A: Yes and you would be at onset range at the end of this sequence.

I see. So essentially the "auto move forward to melee" only happens once per player's turn. After I "auto move forward" on the second attack and then move back, I don't "auto move forward" again on the third attack.

Also, another question: When you get a Free Dice, can you use it even if you don't use any dice from your regular Martial Pool? For example, suppose I have Point Control, and an opponent tries to move into grapple range but I don't have any MP left. Can I still make the AoO with the one free dice, or would I have to have had an MP to spend to make the attack before I could use the free dice?
Alex319

PreviousNext

Return to FAQ