Marvelous painting of a Medieval town

Historical, Fantasy, and Horror Art

Marvelous painting of a Medieval town

Postby Galloglaich » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:17 am

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... _Water.png

Dom über einer Stadt nach dem gleichnamigen Gemälde von Karl Friedrich Schinkel, 1830

Anyone know what town that is?

G.
Galloglaich

Re: Marvelous painting of a Medieval town

Postby Daeruin » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:53 pm

That is incredibly picturesque! I did a few searches on Google to try to find out what town it is, with no luck. What are the chances it's not a real place?
My blog: fantasy fiction, gaming, and music
Daeruin

Re: Marvelous painting of a Medieval town

Postby Galloglaich » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:40 pm

It is a fake or made up place. In fact it's not even the real painting which was apparently destroyed in 1913, but a copy. But it does capture what a lot of these old towns and their gothic cathederals really look like in person and up close than the photos you see online almost ever do.

When i was in the army I was stationed in Ulm which allegedly has the highest steeple in Europe, in the Gothic Cathedral "the Munnster". Photos do not do it justice but just for the heck of it:

What I like about that painting is it captures a glimpse of what the Medieval city must have looked and ... felt like circa 1450 or 1500 AD. The size of some of those Cathederals is astounding, as is some of the other larger public buildings like the town halls and the castles. Another place that painting reminds me of in fact is this town in Bohemia

This painting is actually a little better but still doesn't cut it

Or Mont St. Michel in France

the photo just absolutely doesn't do it justice though... I don't think RPG,s computer games, or fantasy or historical films ever do these places justice to be honest. I do not grasp why. But it's much more likely to be something more like this :

G
Galloglaich

Return to Art