Variant D20 / OGL rules and the Codex

Variant D20 / OGL rules and the Codex

Postby Galloglaich » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:27 pm

I was reading through some the "standard" variant rules that a lot of people use, and these two seem interesting fits with the codex.

This is an alternative to hit points:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adven ... oundPoints

...which basically breaks down HP into essentially luck / fatigue ("vitality") and actual wounds. The former goes up just like normal hit points do, the latter max out with your Con score and when you take one, it's like suffereing a real wound.

All this does add a bit of bookkeeping but it has a certain elegance. For one thing it resolves the conflict of the amorphous gray area between a real wound and the whole idea that your luck / skill is preventing you from taking real damage. This is something which always gives me pause as a DM when describing combat. I'm not sure how to describe a particular hit which doesn't cause a serious injury... especially if it's in that kind of gray area between a mere scratch and major wound that drops the HP close to 0.

Another really cool thing about it (and another real hole with the hit point concept) is it simplifies healing. Vitality points "heal" automatically basically in the same way as fatigue would. So after a tough fight you might need to rest for an hour or two, but it's a lot less sillier than the idea that you can rest a few days and recover from a sword wound, or the whole sticky area of magical healing and spells like cure light wounds. (If you are 1st level, a cure 'light wound' takes you from being almost dead / dying to fully healthy)

I like this I think I'm going to try this out in my campaign next week and see how it fits.

The other I like is Action Points. We are already starting something like this with our Piety and Honor points. This variant rule gives some interesting detail to the same basic idea.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adven ... Points.htm

http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/variantAdventuring.htm

This page has a bunch of other Variant rules, if anyone sees or knows of any others from this page or elsewhere which might fit in interesting ways with the Codex, chime in.

G.
Galloglaich

Re: Variant D20 / OGL rules and the Codex

Postby Achan hiArusa » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:35 am

The problem I had with wound points when I first saw it in Star Wars was that it was hard to back adapt to D&D, fitting in with things like high damage output spells that used hit rolls. The solution I used was to marry it with a massive damage threshold. If you took more damage than the threshold then all damage over that point came out as wound damage. The only problem I had with it then were players who did their best to find a way to get over that threshold. We had three levels to it:

Gritty: 0
Heroic: 10 + Con Mod + Base Fort Save
Superheroic: Constitution + Level

Gritty was pretty much how Traveler d20 did it. I ran D&D with the Heroic and Transhuman Space with Heroic (when I used 1st edition Mutants and Masterminds for Aberrant I used all three: Psis and Daredevils used Heroic, Aberrants Superheroic, Normals used Gritty. Aberrants got a +2 bonus per rank in Superconstitution to both their MDT and to Wound Points). But I've grown to like the new Star Wars Condition track which is an odd marriage between hit points and old World of Darkness wound levels.
Achan hiArusa

Postby Achan hiArusa » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:57 pm

Sorry about the double post. In 4e they use defenses rather than saving throws. This is almost the same system as here:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adven ... SaveScores

Could this work better with the Martial Pool than the current system?
Achan hiArusa

Postby DrDingus » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:52 am

How about Codex + Wayfarers RPG? Since Wayfarers uses a d20-pool-keep-highest for skill rolls.

Unified mechanic!

Btw, does it bother anyone else how people keep using the word "mechanic" when the right word is "mechanism"?
DrDingus

Postby Galloglaich » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:39 pm

Hello DrDingus, welcome to the board.

Is this the game you were talking about?

http://yeoldegamingcompanye.com/wayfarersmain.htm

It looks interesting, I'll have to read up on it a bit, but it looks interesting, with a bit of Dying Earth feel and an old school flavor, rather like they are maybe aiming for the niche it seems that both WOTC and Pathfinder have basically abandoned, somewhere around the Warhammer FRPG area.

Is it OGL based or something entirely new?

G,
Galloglaich

Postby DrDingus » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:33 pm

Yeah, it's definitely part of the recent old-school movement. I've never played it, and don't know anyone who has, but I think it's probably the best "retro" game out there.

The skill system is robust and the magic system is fairly elaborate. Codex could replace the combat system wholesale without breaking anything as far as I can see. There are a handful of combat "disciplines" -- basically point-buy feats -- that could be replaced by the martial feats, and the only balance issue would be deciding how many points each feat costs.

You'd have to modify Wayfarers' armor rules slightly.

It's based on OGL, I think.
DrDingus

Postby Galloglaich » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:27 pm

Thanks for the info. I'll have to contact them and see how amenable they are to cooperation of some kind, I'd like to make as many "plug-ins" for Codex as possible.

G.
Galloglaich

Return to Codex and the OGL