Has anyone tried crawling through dungeons with the Codex?

Discussion of actual gaming experiences, Codex and otherwise

Has anyone tried crawling through dungeons with the Codex?

Postby Arkon » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:56 am

If yes, what were the results :D ?
Arkon

Re: Has anyone tried crawling through dungeons with the Code

Postby Galloglaich » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:04 pm

I have, obviously. We are about to again in the live Beta of the Codex Baltic game, probably 2 or 3 sessions from now. (maybe a month and a half) I'll provide a detailed description of how it goes down.

G
Galloglaich

Postby Arkon » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:59 am

I didn't know that it's possible to dungeon crawl in a historical setting.
Arkon

Postby Galloglaich » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:45 pm

That is an interesting question.

I didn't know that it's possible to dungeon crawl in a historical setting.

Well, it's semi-historical in that I've assumed or pretended some local legends are real. They haven't gotten to that part yet.

As a general rule, when you are faced with an historical setting from any time before say, the 17th Century, you are always faced with a lot of legends and superstition which a modern academic researcher has to try to work around or figure out the real source of. But gamers do not have this problem, to the contrary, you can simply assume that these historical references to magic and monsters are real.

In the Renaissance Baltic where my campaign is set, there were Magical Grimoires published which dealt with such things as demon summoning, the creation of golems and Homonculi. Modern researchers are somewhat baffled by these, as a gamer I can just asume they are real. There are some famous transcripts of trials dealing with lurid cases of Werewolves who ate all kinds of people, like Stubbe Peter. A modern historical researcher would assume Peter was a serial killer, or a falsely accused victim of superstition or religious persecution. But as a gamer I can have more fun assuming he really was a werewolf. There were also documented serial killers like Joan of Arcs friend Gilles De Rais or Elizabeth Bathory. Not magical but plenty scary. Good fodder for a campaign, particularly a detective-sleuthing type.

And of course particularly in Eastern Europe there are all kinds of stories about Vampires and ghosts and evil spirits of various types, witch-cults and satanic covens. You can take these literally or insert various nuanced positions sympathetic to the pagans for example, with the Inquistors suppressing them, or somewhere in between. Show ome good and bad on both sides, explore the culture clash between pagans and Christians.

See, this way, you can have some supernatural elements, but it's not so incongruous as putting mummies or orcs in historical Medieval Europe.

In general I call this approach the "Brotherhood of the Wolf" approach, take an interesting and scary historical legend, in their case that of the Beast of Gevaudain, and make up a more or less plausible story around it which fits into the historical mode.

But I think you could probably still also come up with something like a dungeon crawl in a strictly historical setting with no supernatural elements. It would be a challenge, but I think you could do something interesting. I'll have to think about that a bit ...

G.
Galloglaich

Postby drkguy3107 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:31 pm

I highly recommend special operations in the age of chivalry

http://www.amazon.com/Special-Operation ... 1843832925

wonderful book if you can find it on interlibrary loan.
http://www.myarmoury.com ~ The most enlightening community on the web.
drkguy3107

Postby Galloglaich » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:33 pm

drkguy3107 wrote:I highly recommend special operations in the age of chivalry

http://www.amazon.com/Special-Operation ... 1843832925

wonderful book if you can find it on interlibrary loan.

Wow, that looks cool, it's only $20 in paperback. I just ordered it.

G.
Galloglaich

Postby drkguy3107 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:39 pm

Ya, and hard to put down, read the whole thing in like 2 days.

It first discusses Special Operations in general, in historiography, and then in medieval times. After that it has I think 6 specific operations that he goes over in great detail. Most interesting to me is in 1500's when Charles V invades Provence France and is effectively starved out because all of Provence's food and mills have been destroyed except for one, which has to be seized and destroyed in a daring French night time raid by a man who would be the Marshall of France during the wars of religion.

Then of course there is how I think Baldwin of Jerusalem was rescued by a group of random Armenians who took over the fortress he was being held in on their own volition and planning.
http://www.myarmoury.com ~ The most enlightening community on the web.
drkguy3107

Postby Galloglaich » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:30 pm

So in the real world, lets think about how you could implement a Dungeon crawl.

There would be two challenges, an appropriate space, and an appropriate threat.

So for the latter, we have basically humans of various kinds, animals of various kinds, and traps.

There aren't too many dangerous animals that realistically live in caves, but there are a few. Bears can live in caves at least some of the time. Spiders. Snakes. I've even seen some caves in Indonesia on TV once which were infested with crockodiles. Dangerous fish like sharks could be in rivers inside a cave. Wolves have been a very real threat historically in many very well documented cases. But I don't know about being inside a 'dungeon', you could possibly stretch it. In India you could have Tigers, in the Middle East during the Crusades people (including armed knights) were often killed by Lions.

For people, you have got some famous legends like Sawney Bean (who also lived in a Cave, which is a bonus!) and even a few well-documented cases of cannibals, like this one or this guy Jarman who was the inspiration for Sweeny Todd, you have serial killers, religious cults (ala Call of Cthulhu), oppressive agents of an evil power (like the Teutonic Knights in my Baltic Campaign), plenty of very scary nomads like the Mongols who are worse than any Orc who ever saw the light of any fantasy novel or DnD campaign. And then you've got things like Slavers, (once prominent in a popualr DnD Adventure module series), Pirates, and Thieves, the ever popular Assassins, and just plain old bandits. And you can also have regular rival soldiers of an enemy Power of some sort, who don't necessarily have to be evil to be scary because they will kill you anyway.

For plot locations you have bandit hideouts, thieves guild HQ, Assassins hangout, Slavers base, the ever popular cult compound, the haunted house, mad scientists lair, a 'tunnel fight' during a siege per what drkguy3017 mentioned (there was a lot of well documented combat in tunnels during sieges)

Physical locations could be abandoned abbey or monastary, inhabited caves like those ones in Turkey where early Christians used to live, abandoned castles, urban sewer systems, catacombs and crypts, mines, urban water systems like in Byzantium, secret ancient temples, barrows, and abandoned towns and cities. And of course, a big mansion makes a good haunted house type dungeon.

Anyway just a few thoughts so far...

G.
Galloglaich

Postby Ioannes » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:32 am

Galloglaich wrote:an appropriate space,

Essentially, any "built up" space will 'feel' like a dungeon crawl. Conversely, a dungeon crawl will feel like CQB/MOUT to people who have done that before. Just because a place is not underground doesn't mean the combat dynamic isn't the same.

Or, to say it shorter, 'what he said'.

Ioannes
Ioannes

Postby Arkon » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:28 pm

Urban crawl with clearing out apartment buildings would be awesome.
Arkon

Next

Return to Gaming Night