Requesting a Quick-Start Guide for the Inept and Ignorant

Requesting a Quick-Start Guide for the Inept and Ignorant

Postby Thaeris » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:33 am

I'm certain this request has been posted somewhere before - if so, please redirect or merge at your leisure.

Basically, I'd like to experiment and learn more about tabletop RPGs, and I've just haven't maneuvered myself into a position to do so effectively (yet). You've probably heard that before, and it is still true. Codex is principally intended as a supplement to D&D 3.5 - what other literature do I need to invest in to get an understanding of how to really play a game? It's not that I can't make something out of Codex's combat system alone, but reinventing or engineering the wheel from the ground up when that wheel already exists is not a really wise decision, I feel.

I'm happily up for suggestions.
Thaeris

Re: Requesting a Quick-Start Guide for the Inept and Ignoran

Postby Galloglaich » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:21 am

So are you asking how to play DnD or how to play DnD with codex as the combat system?

For the DnD part, you can use the SRD, which is free online:

http://dndsrd.net/

The hardest thing about doing the hybrid Codex / DnD game is generating the characters, but it's not that hard. I recommend low- or no magic, a lot of multi-classed characters. You put the hit point ceiling at 3 times their constitution or something like that. For optimal fun you probably want to let them start at 3rd or 4th level, and progress slowly from there.

I usually used the online character generators to make characters and major NPCs. Go through the whole DnD process & then convert them to codex stats with their martial feats and weapons and armor etc.

I think in the past I used this online character generator

http://www.pathguy.com/cg35.htm

The Martial Pool and Martial Feats are based on the Base Attack Bonus for the character.

Let me know if you have any other questions!
Galloglaich

Postby Thaeris » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:39 pm

Dropping into this thread again, because I think this will be quite useful for my own use in getting into RPGs:

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/215 ... urers_id=2

Obviously, this is not D&D, but I've heard glowing reviews of RuneQuest as a system, and it basically throws everything you need to know your way to get started with gaming. Even better, it's free!

I'm thinking I'll try to do a basic playthrough first, and then try to apply the codex afterwards. Once I've had the time to test that out, I'll drop back in again.
Thaeris

Postby Galloglaich » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:13 pm

Good idea. Runequest has been around a long time, glad to see them still 'in the game' as they say! Please share how it goes or any interesting observations.
Galloglaich

Return to Codex and the OGL