tumble

Frequently Asked Questions about the Codex

tumble

Postby dragonfly » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:49 am

How does your system handle the skill tumble?
dragonfly

Re: tumble

Postby Galloglaich » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:49 am

I moved this post to the FAQ forum for the time being. Ultimately the answer to this will be in the Codex and the OGL forum.

The short answer to your question is that Tumble works the same in the Codex as it is in 3.5, like any other skill check.

The long answer is that I'm going to compile a document of how to handle all the 3.5 Feats (including the Spring Attack Feat which relates to Tumble) and the combat related skills (like Tumble) with the codex combat rules. When it is done that will be posted in the Codex and the OGL forum.

G.
Galloglaich

Postby Gavinfoxx » Fri May 24, 2013 8:56 pm

I'm interested in this, because Tumble is a very combat-specific feat...

IE, it's best described not as 'Tumble' but instead as "Defensive Combat Mobility" skill, where if you have a +14, you are good at moving around enemies without provoking attacks of opportunity, and the existence of this skill obsoletes the need for the "Spring Attack" feat.

IE (from SRD):
"DC 15 Tumble at one-half speed as part of normal movement, provoking no attacks of opportunity while doing so. Failure means you provoke attacks of opportunity normally. Check separately for each opponent you move past, in the order in which you pass them (player’s choice of order in case of a tie). Each additional enemy after the first adds +2 to the Tumble DC.
DC 25 Tumble at one-half speed through an area occupied by an enemy (over, under, or around the opponent) as part of normal movement, provoking no attacks of opportunity while doing so. Failure means you stop before entering the enemy-occupied area and provoke an attack of opportunity from that enemy. Check separately for each opponent. Each additional enemy after the first adds +2 to the Tumble DC."

As Codex Martialis is intended to have more realism in moving about in combat, amongst other things... Is the existence of this skill, with those capabilities, and also not being a Fighter skill, intended?
Gavinfoxx

Postby Galloglaich » Mon May 27, 2013 8:43 pm

Do you think it's possible to evade an attack by "tumbling"? It does exist in some martial arts, I"m not sure of the feasibility - I have seen something like rolling during an entry or a 'shoot' to grapple.

G
Galloglaich

Postby Thaeris » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:31 am

Disclaimer: I am interjecting into a thread in which I have no legitimate business or relevant gaming skill.

I recall from my brief days in karate that we practiced tumbling to better handle falls, fumbles, and throws. I get the impression that the tumbling suggested here is more a gymnastic feat for mobility rather than a means of self preservation. However, I think it worth wondering on that note if the ability to take a fall, or being able to fall and efficiently recover (consider a roll) currently comes into play in any D&D type games?
Thaeris

Postby Galloglaich » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:48 am

It's a real good point - that is a much better way to handle it (i.e., kind of a real life way) than how I did handle it.

I have a Martial Feat in there called "rollout" which is kind of similar to what you are describing, allowing you to basically roll out of a fall and get back up. But you could do a lot more with it.
Galloglaich

Postby Arkon » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:56 pm

I thought it's going to be about HEMA tumblr.
Arkon

Postby Galloglaich » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:39 pm

What are the good ones? I only really was aware of Axel's "IamAFencer" one. I think Anders has one too. But there are probably dozens I don't know about...
Galloglaich

Return to FAQ